Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: Thefts :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors   BARF Store   Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner

Old 06-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

AMA #: 3283336
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: S1000RR, FZ09, SV650, YZ250
Name: Chris
Round 4 - Fun in the Sun

First of all, a huge thanks to Dave Stanton for coaching me, going through my video and data, answering so many questions and then giving me one thing to work on at a time. Last round i had made several changes to the bike including clip on angle, peg height, and engine braking (without his knowledge or consent lol). Dave suggested i go back to stock settings and levels of engine braking to help bring the bike to the apex. And the one thing i needed to focus on was my wfo-100% braking movement. I had around 0.3s every TURN where i was moving my hand so my fingers could grab the lever.

Thursday - Packed the truck, got to willows around 9pm, pitted with peter fry, little did i know. After peter offered to spot me unloading my bike, he listened to me ramble about my unsettled rear (not the tummy kind) and gave the suggestion to go back to a setting which made me feel comfortable. That struck me as something very similar to what dave stanton was talking to me about... and if peter fry and dave stanton both tell me to do something, i’m going to flipping do it! Later on Friday, when peter saw that i had a Pilot Gas sandwich menu lined up for the weekend, he invited me to eat dinner with him! I can’t thank peter enough for inviting me into his pit for the weekend and hope that i wasn’t too much of a nuisance

Friday - zoom zoom track day, single A group, dropped power mode from Slick to Race which enabled race abs for wheelie and lift control to calm the front on exit and rear on entry.

I practiced the hand movement Dave helped me learn with my spare throttle and bar at least a hundred times before this round, and it worked, my hot laps were 2:09.91, 2:09.97, then a 2:06.95 during the first session of the morning.

That was 0.9s from my race pace last round, on the same rear, in the morning, feeling like i was putting around and taking zero risks. Had to adjust shift light lower, to 13000, to give my foot time to hit the shifter before it hits redline. Camera not working during the morning sessions was pretty frustrating.

Second session my first two hot laps were 2:06.67 and 2:06.99 with my last hot lap of a 2:05.51. The rest of the day got hot and my 55+ lap rear tire was making me start to think about grip.

Third session was the only thing i managed to get on camera, which was michael kim lowsiding out of 14 and getting ran tf over and brushing it off like a boss. i surprised myself with how fast i reacted, his bike left oil on track and if i went to the inside i may have been collected.

start around 2 minutes

youtu.be/Ch1MQUJXgac

Fourth session my first and last hot laps were identical at 2:05.94. The middle two hot laps were 2:06.05 and 2:06.75.

The last session i did was in the low 2:06 range and i pulled in early due to line issues, i think from being hot and tired. Peter made some bomb ass tacos on friday and i was so tired that i didn’t even mind using my wheel chock as a pillow.

Saturday - last round’s practice group time was 2:24 ( i only got ONE LAP, not one hot lap, ONE LAP, okay?? LOL) put me into practice group two. Lots of traffic, only able to get clean sectors. Luckily the bmw hp data logger combines your sectors into an ideal lap which made me feel better about my overall fastest lap of 2:09 during the first two sessions.

The third practice session saw a fast time of 2:06.19 and the fourth was a 2:05.1, still on that same sc2 rear from round 2. My combined sector ideal time was a 2:04.93 after saturday practice which gave me confidence going into sundays races.

Shout out to chris at pirelli for the knowledge, being approachable, and support on the sc2’s. He laughed his ass off when i told him i had over 55 laps on the rear and if i would go faster with a fresh rear LOL.

i enjoyed peter and his pit crew’s company tremendously, and it’s not just because I had three corns on the cob, tri tip, and other fancy things that i don’t know the names of...

enjoyed the slow bike races featuring almost as many classes as afm, with one handed, two-up, three up, bicycles, even a big bike ridden by cory call who luckily didn’t lowside and crack the frame… too soon??? Jordan won the slow bike race and got the inflatable slowest chicken which would make a comeback appearance on the open gp lunchtime podium!

Sunday - was a blur, open superbike novice i got a decent start and didn’t get beat up too bad, running 2:06, 2:05, 2:05, 2:04, 2:03, then 2:02.7 on the last lap with a yellow flag in 10 and waving in 11, and i maybe shit my pants as i held the throttle to the finish line... finally apexing turn one properly...i hope i don’t need new underwear every lap… i attached a comparison between round 3 and round 4 at turn 1, the blue line is my round 4 data and the red is my round 3 data. i am happy with my progression this round

youtu.be/cesbO1PijK4

youtu.be/ZoZFF1X8bXA

my second race was open gp novice and it was like musical chairs but on the grid. My number is 984, and another buddy riding a s1000rr is 982...guess whose grid position i remembered? Since he was there first and had what i thought to be my grid position written down on his gas tank i gave him the spot...i didn’t realize at the time he was pointing to the spot next to him (my actual grid spot, which was taken by someone else, whose grid spot was taken by someone else, whose grid….etc.)

well there was an open spot behind me and so i went for it… and as soon as i got the revs up the flag dropped. I didn’t get a good start this time and was pretty frazzled from what happened. I ran a couple low 2:08 in traffic before dropping to a 2:05.6 and then the fast lap of 2:03.8. My last lap i made a mistake and finished at 2:05.

youtu.be/qjceOMf6Z8A

youtu.be/l9nv1-npn1M

a good friend of mine recently passed his NRS and was meeting me for monday track day with fun track dayz. He showed up in time for my races (thank you john!!) and then we watched formula pacific race and a few others. Peter was on the lunch time podium (congrats!) and had a great day, also reaching his goals for the weekend. A couple more buddies arrived to the track to ride monday, Bruce, Marco, Charlie, Neil, Patrick.

Monday - fun track dayz, B/C double groups, i ran most sessions of the day. this was my best friend Marco’s first time on track and i wanted to ride with him...realizing the pace differences i didn’t try for more than a sector at speed at a time and did a couple sessions in C group with no brakes...now that is a rush! There is a hint in there somewhere...i did the last double session of the day from 4:20-5:00pm in a mock formula pacific race, rolling through the pits and not stopping between sessions, not seeing much traffic, i was able to put my head down and finish out the weekend in a strong way. by the end of the weekend i logged over 135 laps at thunderhill east and my wife didn’t leave me, even after seeing the credit card statement!

Overall it was my favorite round of the year so far and also my favorite track day, making new friends and catching up with old ones thanks AFM!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Round 4 Round 3 Comp.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	509762  
Smash Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
peterfry
FRY #27

Motorcycles: 2009 R1, 2014 FZ-09, 2015 R1
Name: Peter Fry
Awesome work this weekend Chris, it was an absolute pleasure pitting with you this weekend-- can't wait to see what you are going to accomplish next round!
peterfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:29 AM   #3
89fj
late braking

Contributor +

Motorcycles: yamaha FJ-09 S1000RR
Name: John
89fj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
fortyonethirty
concussed

Motorcycles: '12 kx450f
Name: Ian Tanner
Great report. You are making my throttle hand itchy.
AFM #718
fortyonethirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:04 AM   #5
89fj
late braking

Contributor +

Enjoyed watching Chris and Peter race. It's about time I made it to an event. Hopefully I 'll be at the next round
Old 06-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfry View Post
Awesome work this weekend Chris, it was an absolute pleasure pitting with you this weekend-- can't wait to see what you are going to accomplish next round!
Thank you Peter, that means a lot

Check it out, our first picture together (use your magnifying glass)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonethirty View Post
Great report. You are making my throttle hand itchy.
Thanks, Ian I think I hit some apexes this round...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89fj View Post
Enjoyed watching Chris and Peter race. It's about time I made it to an event. Hopefully I 'll be at the next round
Thanks for coming out and supporting me John, you have your race license, just a matter of time until you are out there in the 450 cripples I bet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	petert5met4small.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	509800  

Last edited by Smash Allen; 06-20-2018 at 01:02 PM..
Old 06-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
89fj
late braking

Contributor +

cripple=want
Old 06-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #8
peterfry
FRY #27

Motorcycles: 2009 R1, 2014 FZ-09, 2015 R1
Name: Peter Fry
Haha, awesome!
peterfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #9
Gavin Botha
Rookie

BARF Sponsor
1% Contributor

Motorcycles: All
Name:
55 laps on a SC2 is not a lot, that is less than 1 track day. I will run mine up to 4 track days (with flipping). Don't let a slightly worn tire worry you. Put a fresh one on for the race
Gavin Botha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:46 PM   #10
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Botha View Post
55 laps on a SC2 is not a lot, that is less than 1 track day. I will run mine up to 4 track days (with flipping). Don't let a slightly worn tire worry you. Put a fresh one on for the race
Good to know, thanks

edit: realized you were pitted right next to me! i knew that name was familiar...there was a fast guy on the superduke who won on saturday and his buddy (john, i think?) left him a nice good morning note on his tank for sunday

Last edited by Smash Allen; 06-21-2018 at 08:12 AM..
Old 07-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #11
helmetstore
Banned

Motorcycles: DUCATI
Name:
Fun In the Sun

Amazing videos. Enjoyed watching Chris and Peter race. It's about time I made it to an event. Hopefully, I 'll be in the next round. I liked his motorcycle helmet though. Overall it was my favorite round of the year so far and also my favorite track day, making new friends and catching up with old ones.

Last edited by Enchanter; 07-06-2018 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: broke the link
helmetstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #12
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine

AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Attack™-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmetstore View Post
Amazing videos. Enjoyed watching Chris and Peter race. It's about time I made it to an event. Hopefully, I 'll be in the next round. I liked his motorcycle helmet though. Overall it was my favorite round of the year so far and also my favorite track day, making new friends and catching up with old ones.
First post and you spam us. (I broke the link).

Buh bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #13
Smash Allen
a comedy of errors

Contributor ++

first two words gave it away