Let's build a carbon fender!

tygaboy

Moto(s)
The current project bike
Crap... I got the 999R front end for the 748 project and was messing around with the front fender. It somehow found its way onto my SV project and I thought the shape really worked nicely with the lines of the bodywork. Only problem is it don't quite fit. What to do...? :confused
I know! Let's cut up this perfectly good fender and MAKE it fit! Then, just like we did with the SV tank, we'll have a plug that can be used to make a mold and then a carbon fender. Cool, let's do it.
Oh, and if you like the looks of this and you're running this same front end ('03 GSX-R 1000) or front ends that run the same fender, this 'about to be' fender will bolt right on to your bike, too.

So, first I cut the 'legs', extended them with popsicle stick and hot glue, filled it all with expanding foam, figured out the clearances and drilled the mounting hole locations to get the initial fitment...

2842511-pb230001.jpg

Last edited:
Then, it's time to break out the bondo, cheese grater and sandpaper. Blue tape to protect what we want to preserve...

2842513-pb240001.jpg

I could have done the 'two mounts per side' in the front and not run a 'behind the forks' mount a la 748, but I liked the look of having a rear mount. So it'll be one locating point in front and these rear legs.
Just gotta decide how to lengthen them.

2842517-pb240002.jpg

More more more! I'm working Friday after thanksgiving and there's nothing to do. Loved the other projects, I'm sure this'll come out awesome. :)

Wow, Dymag wheels! No wonder you thought nothing of cutting up a 999r fender. Cool seeing the custom work being done! I was wondering how you'd reshape the parts (popsicle sticks & bondo - good tips!)

Cool! can't wait for more photos! Good luck!

I decided to use the lower of the two rear mounts so as to cover more stuff. The rear leg had to be cut at the top where it joined the fender proper so I could trim it to the width I need. Then it's just a matter of deciding position, spliting the leg and lengthening as needed. More popsicle sticks and hot glue to the rescue. I've also done the same to fasten the top part of the leg to the fender.
Now all I have to do is a bunch of bodywork, painting and prepping so I can make the mold.
Let's see how far I get this weekend.
T-hill track day on Sunday, weather permitting. Giving the 748 her maiden voyage.
Let's all think 'dry', shall we?

2843056-pb240007.jpg

With the T-hill rain out (for us non-commuter, fair weather, dry pavement only types, anyway), I found some time to play in the shop.
The original fender had a big hole in the right side rear leg/fender joint area (OK, left side in this view) that I don't need so I had to reshape that section. Coming along and it looks good to me so far.

2847820-pb270001.jpg

Basic shape is coming together nicely.
Kinda sexy, no?

2847821-pb270002.jpg

Last edited:
I went crazy and bought a Forsner bit to cut recessed mounting holes so all the mounts will match. :cool
This sort of detail makes a part look far more 'factory' but adds significantly to the complexity of the layup since carbon fiber really isn't interested in making all those sharp corners. Ah, if only we had prepreg and an autoclave... I'll just have to spend more time and be a bit more careful during layup. Will be worth it, though.

2847829-pb280004.jpg

Harsh said:
What would you use the autoclave for?

Autoclaves are essentially specialized curing ovens. The cool (hot?) part is that with access to something like this, we could use prepreg carbon fiber that is impregnated with a different sort of epoxy - one that needs the elevated temps to cure. You end up using a specific cure cycle and get stronger, lighter parts.
Super fancy, super neato, super expensive...

Back