Test Rode a Buell Rant

EbolaMonkey

Moto(s)
Vstrom 650 DL
Name
Kevin
I'm almost afraid to say this considering what ppl think of buells, but i went to get a free bag and i love the damn buell i test drove (xb12ss) but i like the xb12x, i need to go back there to test drive that.

OK, so i ride my r6 around every weekday from 50 - 100+ miles a day commuting either from either fremont or walnut creek to san jose... and call me a pansy, but some days, my back gets a little sore. For the most part, ive only ridden sporty bikes in my riding life (about 2 years?), i learned to ride on a katana, rode an r1 for a couple months, and i've had the pleasure to ride my uncle's hayabusa around. That was kind of nice, but the insane power is not for me(at least not on the everyday street). I tried riding a harley once, and that felt like driving a bus.

At first, all the talk about the r6 "torture" racks were unclear to me, but man o man, the buell seat feels like a damn laz-boy sofa compared to the r6 hah. Commuting on a less aggressive bike would probably let me start my day less tired and what not =P. Well, maybe not. I think i get tired b/c i'm so paranoid someone is going to hit me... anyway i digress,

I think part of the reason is that i'm 6'2, 190ish with a 35" inseam. Maybe I should have gotten larger bike. My girlfriend also hates riding with me because of the uncomfortable tiny seat (not because shes huge or anything, shes ~105lbs). So IVE DECIDED i might very well have to get a new bike.... I've been doing a lot of research, What do you guys think of the Buell Ulysses XB12X or the BMW R1200GS? I have no idea why i narrowed it down to "adventure" bikes since i don't really go offroad... EVER. i think i like that they are both fairly large bikes, and that they can do everything fairly well, But i probably don't need a "dualsport". I need a large, but light bike that can handle on the road fairly well, fairly - comfortably and can do 2 up comfortably too. But I don't want a super heavy or huge bike like a goldwing or something... cuz i want to be able to take it up to the twisties or something at a medium pace. any other suggestions?

Anyway, i think i really like the Buell Ulysses. U guys can flame me now...

its got a beavertail... okay...?

what did u other test drivers think?

also, don't get me wrong i love my r6, just honestly, maybe not the best commuting bike.

The Ulys look cool, I'd like to take a ride on one someday.

Just make sure there is sombody near by that will work on a Buell, not every shop will want to work on one.

I like the BMW GS and they ride really nice but that is a lot of freeking coin for a bike.

Ride what you like, screw everyone else.

I've always like the Buells, but worry about the durability of them.

What about buying a more comfortable 600cc sportbike? My old CBR600F4 felt like a sofa compared to the current GSX-R. And yet it was still very capable at the racetrack. Not bad on long rides either, as long as you stopped every couple of hours to stretch.

I haven't ridden a Buell yet, but as someone who loves naked bikes, I think their bikes are some of the best looking naked bikes out.

My cousin recently bought a Buell Blast, and in the 500 class of bikes, I really think it's the best looking of the bunch. However, looking at the numbers, it's practically the bottom of the barrel in its class. An air-cooled, two-valved single cylinder engine turning out mid-30's hp just pales in comparison to my EX (which funny enough, is at the bottom end in the class as far as looks, in my opinion :teeth). But, at $1800 with just over 800 miles, I can understand why he went for it. It's a good thing he's mechanically capable too.

I can't wait to try it when he brings it down because I really love the way it looks. But like I said, by the numbers alone, I'm really not expecting much. He rode it down this past weekend to Dublin (he's from Reno), and he already complained about the wind blast. Not to mention that he had to haul it back home on the back of a truck because apparently he's losing oil somewhere (probably getting burned up).

The Buell drivetrain is polarizing.

Either you hate the underrevving peaky[1] mofo overweight pig-iron engine and the way-too-big only 5-speed transmission (me) or you tolerate it.

If you tolerate, the rest of the Ulysses package is brilliant: great seat, proper tire choices, a good front brake/steering damper solution (basically more speed-dependent damping than other bikes) a decent flyscreen, good cargo options, good layout, well thought out (backrest/cargo plate combo, power jack).

If you hate the engine, the rest doesn't matter.

Since it sounds like you tolerate the engine, get one and be happy. Just testride a WeeStrom first, if you want a commuter bike. MotoJava has a used Wee for $4750 + tax.

[1] I don't care what the red line is. Any engine that really only works for 1/2 the revv range, be it the 3k to 6k on a Buell or the 8k to 16k of an R6, is a peaky engine as it has a narrow powerband. Contrast with say a VFR which will work from 3k/4k to 10k+, or a WeeStrom which can work from 2.5k to 10k.

EbolaMonkey said:
Anyway, i think i really like the Buell Ulysses. U guys can flame me now...
No flamin' here. I rode one too and loved it. I was looking for a bike to commute and do long rides on and the Uly had a lot going for it. Later reports showed a few riders were breaking that "lifetime" drive belt at 10K - 15K miles. That killed my enthusiasm a little bit, as the implications of being stranded somewhere with a broken drive belt aren't appealing. FWIW, a couple of riders have mentioned that they keep a spare belt in one of their bags. They say you can lay the bike on its side without damaging it and swap the belt by the side of the road if it comes to that. BMW shafts don't exactly break like that, but they can have their issues and repair is a much bigger and more expensive deal.

You probably don't need to worry about not being a dirt rider; the Uly isn't really a dirtbike. It would make riding a fire road more pleasant than on a sportbike, and that's about it.

I'm one of the few on Barf that like Buell's and will defend them.

However reading your post it sounds like you would be better off checking out the Yamaha FZ1.

Think of it as a comfortable R6 with lots more power and a better passenger seat.

3122778-fz1.jpg

Well everyone should ride what they like but be sure to keep your other bike you will need it for a backup. I only say this being a former Buell owner who was one of many in the Sac area and almost none of them own Buells any more if they do its their second or third bike. the durability hasnt gotten any better over the years. There are some that rack up impressive miles and others that grenade in short order. At the Dealership you will find you are a second class citizen the HD owners will for the most part treat you like something stuck to the bottom of thier shoe.
I personally wouldnt take one if they gave it to me.
Oh just a side note all Buell owners should own a truck ramp tye downs or belong to a towing service.

I really like the Buells. I think the firebolts looks sexy. If i didn't get my ninja i would have bought the firebolt.

Think Buell Ulysses is perfect design for a Dual Sport. Low center of gravity has gotta pay off, riding off road. Near Sportbike suspension for on the street.

Yeah i really worry about buell durability. Maybe not the best choice for the time being and wait a little while to see their durability. I know they have an unlimited 2 year warranty though?

I have heard that an F4i is nice and comfortable (esp for taller riders?) but i can't imagine it being too great. My buddy has an f4i maybe i can convince him to let me test ride that thing...

I really don't like the half fairing(ed) look of the Fz1. it looks like a sportsbike is trying to hump a standard. is some sort of mid-fairing u can put on it maybe?

haha actually does look like what im looking for though.. the FZ1... i will need to do a little more research!

I've heard the Ulysses turning radius is really, really wide. I sat on one at the bike show and found the handlebars don't seem to turn very far. I never test rode one though so maybe it's not a big deal.

If you've got the coin, the 1200GS is awesome and it's hard to beat the VStrom for bang for your buck.

Yeah, you can get a lower fairing for them.

3122860-fz1-2.jpg

Warranty is useless without some one to service the bike! dealers dont like to work on them. test riding and owning are two different things.
The major Japanese manufacturers dont offer a two year warranty because they dont need them!
The power plant is the weak link if they would stuff a KTM or Roatax in that chassis they would have something. Belts are made to hold your pants up not move your motorcycle.
you know in your Avatar you look just like Chuck Norris!

Last edited:
FZ1 is a great bike. i have one and its comfy and capable. the transmission does not inspire confidence, as it feels under engineered, but that could be just subjective as i havent heard of any problems with them.

from your description of what you like though, it sounds like you should give serious consideration to a v-strom also.

I think Buells are cool as hell. I really want to test ride the Uly as well.

There are alot of great bikes out there that will give you all the riding pleasure/thrills you seek without being painfull. LOTSA BIKES.

Not trying to steer you towards a VFR, but it is a fine example of that type of bike. Kinda porky, but well mannered, comfy, and plenty fast!

I find it amusing you're thinking about an R12GS while saying you don't want a heavy bike! :p

That said, they don't FEEL heavy. All the weight is down low. Course, I don't have one and haven't ridden one, but I do have an R12RT, and it is wonderful for commuting. They're a lot better in the twisties than you'd think too.

Back