bikeama

Super Moderator
Moto(s)
2020 BMW S1000XR Lowride.
Name
Bill Harr
BARF perks
AMA #: 1097
From San Jose History on FB. Butch is the turn count correct?

"Lick Observatory is the world's first permanently occupied mountain-top observatory.
The observatory, in a Classical Revival style structure, was constructed around 1887, from a bequest from James Lick of $700,000 (approximately $25 million in 2018 US dollars).
Lick, although primarily a carpenter and piano maker, chose the precise site atop Mount Hamilton and was there buried in 1887 under the future site of the telescope, with a brass tablet bearing the inscription, "Here lies the body of James Lick". What followed was the famous Great Refractor, a feat of engineering and the largest refracting telescope in the world when it was completed in 1888.
Lick additionally requested that Santa Clara County construct a "first-class road" to the summit, completed in 1876. All of the construction materials had to be brought to the site by horse and mule-drawn wagons, which could not negotiate a steep grade. To keep the grade below 6.5%, the road had to take a very winding and sinuous path, which the modern-day road (California State Route 130) still follows. Tradition maintains that this road has exactly 365 turns (This is approximately correct, although uncertainty as to what should count as a turn makes precise verification impossible).
James Lick, was the richest man in California at the time of his death in 1876. James Lick was born in Pennsylvania in 1796. He came to San Francisco in 1848 after a successful career as a piano builder in South America."

Turn count is right depending how you count. There is Ghirardelli chocolate involved in the story also, I think.

Mo
Lick arrived in San Francisco, California, in January 1848, bringing with him his tools, work bench, $30,000 in gold (valued at approximately $2.75 million as of 2020), and 600 pounds (275 kilograms) of chocolate. The chocolate quickly sold. So, Lick sent back word convincing his friend and neighbor in Peru, the confectioner Domingo Ghirardelli, to move to San Francisco, where he founded the Ghirardelli Chocolate Company.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Lick

Turn count is right depending how you count. There is Ghirardelli chocolate involved in the story also, I think.

You mean as whether you count a kink or fade as a turn?

Seems about right. Lots of smiles for sure.

From San Jose History on FB.

:thumbup

some pics from the early 1900s, before the road was to the observatory was paved:

Turns out some of the popular places we ride motorcycles today
were also popular back in the day ...

20151106-155356.jpg

Mount Hamilton run, with dirt parking lot ...

20151106-155337.jpg

... the unpaved road up to Mt Hamilton.

:ride

I have been underneath..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240117-101211_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240117-101211_Chrome.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 14
His Grave..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240117-101140_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240117-101140_Chrome.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for sharing the pics of a moto on the dirt road. Classic. Know the spot.

And the internment for Mr. Lick looks very proper.
At peace. :rose

What a great road, I've never actually toured the observatory, guess I should try that sometime. I bet it was cool as heck riding those early bikes up the dirt road back in the day.

What a great road, I've never actually toured the observatory, guess I should try that sometime. I bet it was cool as heck riding those early bikes up the dirt road back in the day.

It would be awesome to ride a modern dirt bike up Mount Hamilton Road as a dirt road. Freaking awesome. 365 turns. Or something 4000 vertical or something. Yet I get to do it all the time on my motos

Last edited:
After all this rain it may have some dirty road-esq attributes for a bit, of course the problem of a lack of plate on said bike remains... :laughing

They have had a summer concert series at the observatory for years. They used to do the concerts in the refractor observatory itself, but the fire Marshall put a stop to that about twenty years ago. They now hold the concert in the hallway but do still allow guests to look through the telescopes.

https://www.lickobservatory.org/events/music-of-the-spheres/

June 29, Beatles thing. I wanna go https://www.lickobservatory.org/events/music-of-the-spheres/mos-2024-06-29/

Back