BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner

Old 05-28-2019, 06:44 PM   #31
Gixxer343
slow as shit. No really

Contributor + + + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 R1200GS,07’ Gsxr 750, 82 CB900C project
Name: JC
So I will concede you guys make some good points. Im not totally convinced but hey, its a learning curve, so thanks.
Real question here: looking at the track airbag vests, it looks to me like they arent really going to help with the collarbone issue if you go down on one shoulder because they have no protection there. I get they will help neck, head and ribcage for sure. Anybody have info on how they would or would not help with collarbone/ shoulder issues in that kind of wreck. Remember Im talking specifically about going down directly onto one shoulder, like a low side or bad high side.
Gixxer343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #32
jaybocc2
o lento

AMA #3692962

Motorcycles: 05 zx10r (street), 11 zx10r (track), 13 zx10r (race)
Name: Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer343 View Post
So I will concede you guys make some good points. Im not totally convinced but hey, its a learning curve, so thanks.
Real question here: looking at the track airbag vests, it looks to me like they arent really going to help with the collarbone issue if you go down on one shoulder because they have no protection there. I get they will help neck, head and ribcage for sure. Anybody have info on how they would or would not help with collarbone/ shoulder issues in that kind of wreck. Remember Im talking specifically about going down directly onto one shoulder, like a low side or bad high side.
my hit air has rib and shoulder protections. The airbag inflates into what basically looks like football pads. https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air-race-airbag-system

So, there is still a risk of a certain landing, or if you put your arms out during a crash of breaking your clavicle or injuring something else, but as i have recently tested. I wasn't even SORE (well except that sprained ankle) the next day after a 2nd-3rd gear get off compared to a 5mph drop/fall down where my shoulder legit hurt.

In order to deploy the airbag needs armed and you must be going above 75kmh average speed.
AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
jaybocc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:24 PM   #33
Mechanikrazy
The Newb of Newbs

Motorcycles: Are fun.
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Have you considered getting some coaching to help you with why you crash so much?
Speaking as another crasher, it's not always so easy. I was supposed to get coaching at the last Carters school. So obviously, my preparation included crashing the day before so I couldn't go. Hopefully, I'll get some coaching after I rebuild and get out to the June 15/16 Carters days.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:30 PM   #34
Mechanikrazy
The Newb of Newbs

Name:
Quote:
Maybe it's incorrect, but I've heard that a lot of collarbone breaks occur due to helmets jamming into the collarbone on landing. To that extend, the vests, like HitAir, prevent the impact through the neck roll.

In terms of landing on your shoulder though, the electronic Alpinestars Tech-Air and Dainese D-Air both have airbag cover extending over the shoulder joint. Those airbags will cover the collarbone and shoulder joint. And they're still in combination with standard armor in the suit.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:26 AM   #35
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Old 05-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #36
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post
Speaking as another crasher, it's not always so easy. I was supposed to get coaching at the last Carters school. So obviously, my preparation included crashing the day before so I couldn't go. Hopefully, I'll get some coaching after I rebuild and get out to the June 15/16 Carters days.
Hope to see you there.

Ken Hill basically ( as I understand him) feels that crashes are a failure of technique application, including, but not limited to paying attention and looking ahead.

I wouldn't know. I have only had forty or so crashes.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #37
synfinatic
Wannabe Fast Guy

Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Duzucati 650, wr250f
Name: Aaron
Quote:
Hope to see you there.

Ken Hill basically ( as I understand him) feels that crashes are a failure of technique application, including, but not limited to paying attention and looking ahead.

Meh. Sometimes I'm just stupid.
AFM #22
http://synfin.net
Thanks to everyone who sponsors me:
Spears Enterprises | Catalyst Reaction | CTRacing | Helimot | Woodcraft | Motion Pro | Armour Bodies | Motorex | GP Frame & Wheel | Raceimage Graphics | Pega Precision
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you being subtle." — Linus Torvalds
synfinatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:41 PM   #38
Mechanikrazy
The Newb of Newbs

Name:
Quote:
Hope to see you there.

I'll surely be there wandering the paddock to see if I can find a coach to work with. I'm not going to be on track before that weekend, so that at least guarantees me one session...

And I would chalk most of my five crashes over the years to not paying attention to real track conditions. The latest one at Sears was tucking the front in a cold first session while headed to the apex of 3b. I, being the knucklehead that I am, kept nudging the pace up that first session, right up until I couldn't (still thought I had a sizable safety margin all the way till I lost the front, but obviously not enough accounting for the conditions).

And the on-topic part: I can say that my D-Air did it's job to protect my shoulder and collarbone. Not as immobilizing of my neck as my Hit-Air was, but I appreciated the extra shoulder padding during my slow tumbling/rolling. I don't ride at the track now without an airbag and chest protector.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:27 AM   #39
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by synfinatic View Post
Meh. Sometimes I'm just stupid.
That's a failure of technique application.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:29 AM   #40
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post
I'll surely be there wandering the paddock to see if I can find a coach to work with. I'm not going to be on track before that weekend, so that at least guarantees me one session...

And I would chalk most of my five crashes over the years to not paying attention to real track conditions. The latest one at Sears was tucking the front in a cold first session while headed to the apex of 3b. I, being the knucklehead that I am, kept nudging the pace up that first session, right up until I couldn't (still thought I had a sizable safety margin all the way till I lost the front, but obviously not enough accounting for the conditions).

And the on-topic part: I can say that my D-Air did it's job to protect my shoulder and collarbone. Not as immobilizing of my neck as my Hit-Air was, but I appreciated the extra shoulder padding during my slow tumbling/rolling. I don't ride at the track now without an airbag and chest protector.
There will be plenty of instructors to work with you. My suggestion is to use the first session to go out, get some pace eventually, and learn/relearn the track. First session balls out is not always a good idea. After the first session get some help.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:21 AM   #41
synfinatic
Wannabe Fast Guy

Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Duzucati 650, wr250f
Name: Aaron
Quote:
That's a failure of technique application.
Yeah, I still remember the time I grabbed too much front brake so I didn't become a pillion rider on your bike in T4. Good times...
AFM #22
http://synfin.net
Thanks to everyone who sponsors me:
Spears Enterprises | Catalyst Reaction | CTRacing | Helimot | Woodcraft | Motion Pro | Armour Bodies | Motorex | GP Frame & Wheel | Raceimage Graphics | Pega Precision
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you being subtle." — Linus Torvalds
synfinatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #42
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by synfinatic View Post
Yeah, I still remember the time I grabbed too much front brake so I didn't become a pillion rider on your bike in T4. Good times...
That was unfortunate. But worse for you than me.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:13 AM   #43
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street); 1978 CB750-4
Name: AJ
Quote:
I can't speak much to the vests, but at least in my suit, the shoulder protection definitely helps support the shoulder, and probably saved me from a broken collarbone one time on a hard-hit lowside. In that particular crash i don't think one of the external vests would have helped as I was still practically seated on the bike when I hit - but the "smart" airbag (as opposed to a tether) went off before my shoulder impacted. That shoulder/arm took quite the hit, on the grooved curbing, but nothing broke. Sore, but not broken.

Suit paid for itself right then because I've paid for a dislocated shoulder before, and this was much cheaper (not even getting into recovery times and misery!).

CMRA & AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote