afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
When you're riding on the street, the law doesn't protect you. We've all seen that. We have to protect ourselves. The rider was a fool for splitting two busses. Was the bus driver complicit? Yes, he should have expected a fool to do something foolish but he felt protected by his vehicle. We motorcyclists don't usually depend on the wisdom of others, we count on their foolishness to survive. When we forget that rule, we get hurt.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:03 AM   #17
Beanzy
Wind free

Motorcycles: Huh?
Name:
Recently I had to take an expensive ($200) class on attitudinal driving that was imposed by the local traffic commissioner for my getting caught speeding. The class taught me as a driver and a rider that I like to take risks in my pursuit of having fun while behind the wheel and riding.

Now had I been the rider in the video, and as much as riding between buses might have seemed genuinely different and kind of inviting, I also know that riding between 18-wheeler trucks is a definite no-no don't do it it's sure death kind of thing. So knowing me, I might have ridden slowly between the buses instead of stayed back and honked my dinky horn a bunch of times. So maybe I might have not been caught by the opening doors but instead only been trapped behind them.

As riders, we flirt with death and serious injury every time we get on a bike. Your friend, OP, may have learned a lesson. But perhaps the biggest lesson he learned might have been yes, it was a novelty to ride between two seemingly parked buses but in the end was worth it?

I'd have to say, No, it sure wasn't, considering the consequences.

Glad your friend made it out alive. Let's hope he from now on instead of risking it, opts not to. And to slow the hell down too.
Beanzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #18
cheez
Master Of The Darkside

Contributor

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name: Dan
If it were a car who'd doored the rider, nobody would blink, the car driver/occupant would be clearly at fault. A bus doors the rider, splitting through two lanes of traffic- not the curb side, or anything foolish like that- and ya'll blame the rider?

Sorry folks. The rider was in the right; the driver was in the wrong for opening the door into traffic, regardless if bus/car/whatever vehicle.

Agreed that the rider could have been more prudent with how they approached that situation, but it's really, really easy to armchair quarterback after the fact, especially with the distortion that wide angle video adds to our understanding of the situation.
2017 Harley FXDB Dyna Street Bob (//SVART//)
2000 Suzuki DR650 (Dr. Bike)
2004 Yamaha FJR1300AC (The Pensive Parrot)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || FCC: N0CHZ
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #19
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
BARF Sammich King
Contributor +++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A GMF '17 DL650 '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
Nobody is disputing that the rider was not in the right and the driver was wrong to open the bus door.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #20
Lonster
GaMMa RaNGeR

AMA #: 305491
Budman's errand boy
Barf Brick and smoking Contributor

Motorcycles: RG500 Gamma, 2020 KTM 890 Duke R, Lucky Strike 750, RD400, 525EXC-G SM
Name: Lonster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Nobody is disputing that the rider was not in the right and the driver was wrong to open the bus door.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”
— Hunter S. Thompson
Lonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #21
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
A bus doors the rider, splitting through two lanes of traffic- not the curb side, or anything foolish like that- and ya'll blame the rider?
I still blame the rider. It was a dumb move. It was an unsafe move.

If you go through your riding career expecting everybody else to always do the right thing, you'll eventually get nailed by something stupid like a bus opening their door unexpectedly. You can't trust everybody else to do the right thing, you have to ride so that when they do something wrong they still can't get you.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #22
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine

AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Attack™-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
We're moving away from the purpose of the Crash Analysis forum. Let's bring things back on point.

Legal fault isn't the issue here. Riding in a manner that relies on others to do the right thing is problematic at best, deadly at the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #23
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
If it were a car who'd doored the rider, nobody would blink, the car driver/occupant would be clearly at fault. A bus doors the rider, splitting through two lanes of traffic- not the curb side, or anything foolish like that- and ya'll blame the rider?

Sorry folks. The rider was in the right; the driver was in the wrong for opening the door into traffic, regardless if bus/car/whatever vehicle.

Agreed that the rider could have been more prudent with how they approached that situation, but it's really, really easy to armchair quarterback after the fact, especially with the distortion that wide angle video adds to our understanding of the situation.
O, legally, the rider was probably in the right.

As a survivor and motorcycle rider, he's a total failure. That was a total no no stupid ass move. And that's what counts. The law only applies if there is a way to enforce it. But survival skills don't worry about that, they enable one to continue respiration.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:11 AM   #24
ontherearwheel
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Tracer 900 GT, FZR 400 track bike, 04 R1 track bike
Name:
First..........that is a solid yellow with a dash yellow on the left side......that is a center left turn lane and only should be entered when doing a left turn.

Second, the riders experience, seat time is not known. By seat time, I mean hours........not months or years.

That was a bad judgement call based on either inexperience or complacency.

There are times to split and times not to, knowing the difference is of great importance to safe motorcycling.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #25
Beanzy
Wind free

Name:
Okay, here's my third crash analysis:

As riders, except at merging lanes, we can split just about anywhere.

And we're usually judged 55% at fault when we split and a mishap ensues.

Now if the rider filed a police report, the police report would most likely say the rider was "doored" by the bus driver opening his front door.

However, as the rider had a narrower "lane" in which to split due to the size and length of the buses, and the loss of the passing lane on the left, I bet the police report would say the rider made a mistake in judgment by attempting the split. Thus he was 55% percent at fault for this mishap.

Could and should he have foreseen that the bus driver on the left might have opened his doors? No. But that possibility does not take away from the idea that the rider chose a course of action that had a 50/50 chance of a mishap occurring at speed (his bar end could have clipped the side of the bus, he could have ridden into the side of a bus, the left bus could hsve driven to the right before making a left, thus squeezing the rider against the second bus, etc.).
Old 12-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #26
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
Okay, here's my third crash analysis:

As riders, except at merging lanes, we can split just about anywhere.

And we're usually judged 55% at fault when we split and a mishap ensues.

Now if the rider filed a police report, the police report would most likely say the rider was "doored" by the bus driver opening his front door.

However, as the rider had a narrower "lane" in which to split due to the size and length of the buses, and the loss of the passing lane on the left, I bet the police report would say the rider made a mistake in judgment by attempting the split. Thus he was 55% percent at fault for this mishap.

Could and should he have foreseen that the bus driver on the left might have opened his doors? No. But that possibility does not take away from the idea that the rider chose a course of action that had a 50/50 chance of a mishap occurring at speed (his bar end could have clipped the side of the bus, he could have ridden into the side of a bus, the left bus could hsve driven to the right before making a left, thus squeezing the rider against the second bus, etc.).
Incorrect. You can't ride in bicycle lanes, and passing on the right rules are the same for cars and motorcycles.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #27
Lonster
GaMMa RaNGeR

Budman's errand boy

Motorcycles: RG500 Gamma, 2020 KTM 890 Duke R, Lucky Strike 750, RD400, 525EXC-G SM
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Incorrect. You can't ride in bicycle lanes, and passing on the right rules are the same for cars and motorcycles.
And I'm pretty sure it's against the law to use the center turn lane pass a vehicle. (Or split passed a vehicle)
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”
— Hunter S. Thompson
Old 12-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #28
Beanzy
Wind free

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
If the middle lane is a left turn and passing lane -- I seem to recall a broken yellow in the middle (left of the rider's side) -- how is it a bicycle lane?
Old 12-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #29
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine

AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Attack™-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
Pertinent info:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Center Left Turn Lanes
A center left turn lane is located in the middle of a two-way street and is marked on both sides by two painted lines. The inner line is broken and the outer line is solid. If a street has a center left turn lane, you must use it to prepare for or make a left turn, or to prepare for or make a permitted U-turn (CVC §21460.5 (c)). You may only drive for 200 feet in the center left turn lane. This lane is not a regular traffic lane or a passing lane. To turn left from this lane, signal, look over your shoulder, and drive completely inside the center left turn lane. Do not stop with the back of your vehicle blocking traffic. Make sure the lane is clear in both directions and then turn only when it is safe. Look for vehicles coming toward you in the same lane, preparing to start their left turn.
Link to DMV page: here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
If the middle lane is a left turn and passing lane -- I seem to recall a broken yellow in the middle (left of the rider's side) -- how is it a bicycle lane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #30
Lonster
GaMMa RaNGeR

Budman's errand boy

Exactly Enchanter. The motorcycle was making an illegal passing/splitting maneuver, and was thusly rewarded with a slap of fate. I bet the rider was cited, and no fault was issued to the bus driver. (speculation)
— Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Lonster; 12-27-2019 at 07:39 PM..