BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Riding Skills

Old 05-22-2020, 08:45 AM   #16
Bumpits
Rookie

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono
Name: Danny
I think most DMV are still shut down and parking lots are still empty right now. I was bored a couple weeks ago, brought a couple cones and was doing some figure 8's. It was fun.

Last edited by Bumpits; 05-22-2020 at 08:46 AM..
Bumpits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #17
katwoman
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2001 ninja ex250, 1993 gsf400
Name: kat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyCactus View Post
I took my MSF course where it says "Old Alameda Point" on Alameda Island on Google Maps, and there is a large space there. I think the MSF course has riding classes there every saturday and sunday for most of the day, but to my memory they only used half or less than half the space.

The pavement isn't incredibly smooth, but not bad either. I've been meaning to check it out for a while.
I'm just getting back on the bike after a really long time and I checked out this parking lot this weekend. It's huge, and I called Bay Area Motorcycle Training who holds the classes there and they don't care if you're there while they're having a class (it's so large, you're nowhere near the class).

There are no clear lines or markings on the lot, but there are these circular cement things that I practiced u-turns on.
katwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:59 PM   #18
DesiDucati
Veteran

Motorcycles: Ducati one day
Name: cant fit
Mission College is where I practiced with my friends. The security patrols are mixed reactions. Some are indifferent and others will ask us to leave.
DesiDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:35 PM   #19
hypergirl
AFM #990

AMA #: 2831239
Contributor +++++++++++++++1%
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: I have 3!:)
Name: Sara
Looking for a parking lot to practice anywhere in Napa or Sonoma Counties that has at least a ~60' wide turning diameter and cleanish pavement.

I tried Sonoma County Fairgrounds, but the asphalt condition was poor and the parking space paint lines were slippery.

Tomorrow I'll check out Santa Rosa DMV and Santa Rosa Junior College.

If anyone knows of any sweet spots, please shout 'em out!

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:27 PM   #20
DannoXYZ
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: CB125T, EX250, Ninja250R race bike, VF500F, CBR600RR,
Name: Danno
I scoped out some places on my way back up 101N from San Rafael. As previously mentioned, public lots have tend to not kick you out like private facilities. I bring couple of cones with me to set up exercises so it's obviously an educational opportunity:

- Civic Centre area at N. San Pedro Rd. There's lots of big lots in that area. Also Lagoon Park has huge parking lot. County Fair lot on other side of Lagoon also has lots of huge lots.

- Sears Point Sonoma Raceway. Outside parking lot by charging-stations is plenty large. Empty on weekdays.

- Sonoma State University

- Napa Valley College

- Phoenix University in Cordelia next to Costco has huge lot that's always completley empty since their programme is mostly online.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #21
hypergirl
AFM #990

AMA #: 2831239
Contributor +++++++++++++++1%
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: I have 3!:)
Name: Sara
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
I scoped out some places on my way back up 101N from San Rafael. As previously mentioned, public lots have tend to not kick you out like private facilities. I bring couple of cones with me to set up exercises so it's obviously an educational opportunity:

- Civic Centre area at N. San Pedro Rd. There's lots of big lots in that area. Also Lagoon Park has huge parking lot. County Fair lot on other side of Lagoon also has lots of huge lots.

- Sears Point Sonoma Raceway. Outside parking lot by charging-stations is plenty large. Empty on weekdays.

- Sonoma State University

- Napa Valley College

- Phoenix University in Cordelia next to Costco has huge lot that's always completley empty since their programme is mostly online.
Thank you! Those are some good tips.
Iíve got 5-6 cones I usually put out, so I look ... official ? Serious ?
Old 06-18-2020, 02:29 AM   #22
LachlanD
City Dweller

Motorcycles: FZ-09 CBR600RR ZX6R Track
Name: Lachlan
I know a perfect spot- Alemany farmers market in SF. It's an empty lot on the weekdays and i used to practice wheelies/ riding techniques there. Sometimes there's people teaching others how to drive as well, so be mindful and respectful of the new drivers space
Picked up a nail there once though. Besides that it's a great spot
LachlanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:16 PM   #23
trucks44

Motorcycles: sv650 1st gen
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidworth View Post
Why not go to the Presidio? There are a ton of parking lots and fairly empty on the weekends.
+1 on the presidio for an SF learner. Lots of space on a weekend.

And +1 for the alemany market lot on a weekday - but the scenery sure is nicer in the fort.

Some other great lots mentioned, but I'm assuming if you're just learning to ride, ya probably dont wanna ride 2 counties over before you're comfy on the bike....
trucks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:07 AM   #24
bigbadandugly
Bay Area noob

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GS
Name:
The Walnut Creek DMV is empty and ungated on the weekends. Ive gone there a few times to run their test “track” for shits and giggles.
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote