BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Classifieds > Moto Wanted

Old 05-26-2020, 11:27 PM   #1
jpsoultanis

Motorcycles: 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS
Name: Joe
WTB - Starter cruiser

Looking for an older Rebel, Shadow, Vulcan, etc. cruiser in the lower cc range (say sub-650cc) that I can use to improve my skills and build some confidence.

I have a Kawasaki Ninja and never felt quite comfortable with the sport bike riding position.

Not looking to spend more than 2.5k ideally, but I am open to more for the right bike. Feel free to post here for message me directly. Thanks!

Last edited by jpsoultanis; 05-27-2020 at 09:36 PM..
jpsoultanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Ferenc
Veteran

Motorcycles: x-400f, x-VLX, x-dl650, x-'11 f800r; current '90+'91 vx800, '99 f650, and a '12 f800r
Name:
consider an older suzuki vx800?
Ferenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #3
jpsoultanis

I think that's a bit more horsepower than what I'm looking for as a newer rider, but thanks anyways
Old 06-06-2020, 05:29 AM   #4
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

Motorcycles: BMW R1200R, FZ09, FZR400, CR250R
Name: George
Check offer up app, FB marketplace and CL, I am sure there are several available.

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
motomania2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:31 AM   #5
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

If you want some help with your riding, on any bike, just ask.

The best performance upgrade is upgrading the operating system of the operator. It is cheap, easy, fast, safe and works on every bike you will ever ride.

I am also a Patent Attorney so if I can help you with any IP matters, please just ask.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:50 AM   #6
doc4216
Coastie who high fives

AMA #3289553
Contributor + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 R1200RS
Name: Shannon
If you don't like the sport bike, maybe try a more standard or upright seating position instead of going to a cruiser seating position right away. I find it way more comfortable to have my feet under me, than way behind or in front. Just my .02.

Not saying it wont work for you, just a thought. It doesn't have to be one or the other, plenty of great bikes that might meet your liking in between.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #7
jpsoultanis

Thanks motomania2007, I am looking on those other sites as well for the right bike. Hadn't heard of offer upp, will check it out.

Good point, doc4216. I learned on a cruiser in my MSF course and really liked it. I think the Ninja is already fairly upright, correct me if I'm wrong. Are there any examples of bikes you are thinking of that might be somewhere inbetween?
Old 06-07-2020, 06:31 AM   #8
musiclucho
Rookie

Motorcycles: Yamaha FZ07
Name:
Wink

There is this website called cycle-ergo.com. You can input some info about your height and seam (I guess) and choose a motorcycle model and it will show you your ergonomics on that specific motorcycle model. My point is so you can enhance your motorcycle search to upright position bikes also and btw...there is a guy here in BARF selling a hawk 650 that I believe has an upright position (I may be wrong though). Check the website and see what else can work for you! Good luck

Last edited by musiclucho; 06-07-2020 at 06:57 AM..
musiclucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:17 AM   #9
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsoultanis View Post
I think that's a bit more horsepower than what I'm looking for as a newer rider, but thanks anyways
It (the VX800) is about 60HP.

It's not nothing, to be sure, but at the same time cruisers aren't really known for twitchy, exploding power types of motors. They don't rev very fast, making them really forgiving, especially for new riders.

In contrast to inline 4s on sport bikes, they scary thing about them for new riders (especially the older ones) is that there is point in the power and where "the power hits", and hits hard. This can take many new riders unawares, especially if it happens in some kind of stressful situation where the rider is struggling to deal with everything else.

But V-twins, and cruisers, in general, just don't suffer this problem as much.

The bikes are long, heavy, the power has a much smoother and slower delivery.

I sit at stop lights and watch HDs that seem to make more noise than actual to the ground performance.

So, anyway, don't let the 60HP necessarily concern you, especially on a cruiser.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
Name: Steve
Honda Nighthawk 250 is about as Standard as you can get. Same motor as the Rebel

Mad
Old 06-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #11
rcb78
Rookie

Motorcycles: '20 F900XR '20 Vulcan S '96 Savage LS650
Name: Mr B
I did quite a bit of my learning on my dads GZ250 and my wifes LS650 about 15 years ago. The GZ250 is like Suzuki's version of a Rebel and the LS650 is just a more powerful version of it, but still only about 30hp.
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #12
jpsoultanis

Bump, still looking for the right bike
Old 06-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #13
chipper6
Rookie

Motorcycles: Ducuati Scrambler
Name: Chad
Have you considered or heard of a Buell Blast?

It is a common first bike. Harley used/uses? them for their version of the MSF beginners course. It is more sporty than a Rebel, but more upright and lower seat height than a Ninja. I also happen to have one that I was about to post up for sale

There is usually always one or two on CL around here, but here is ours:

-2002 Buell Blast 500cc
-It's Red/Orange depending on who you ask
-Just under 10k miles
-Pretty much stock except I put a much brighter LED head light that is 1000% better than stock
-Has better than stock Pirelli ST66 Tires in good shape
-Includes a low seat and a Normal seat (25" and 27" seat heights respectively, Low shown on black Blast in photo below, Normal installed)
-Have a Jardine exhaust that will be included. It is much louder than the stock exhaust that my wife prefered so the stock one went back on. Stock exhaust makes the throttle response a little muted torque-wise, so really easy to handle learning on, and if you want more power and noise, you can put the aftermarket one on.
-We have owned it for 11 years and bought it from the original owner with 500 miles on it. Mostly used for commute and a couple trips to Mount Hamilton.
-Small scuff on wind visor paint from the only time it tipped over, but only noticeable when you get close.

$2000 with aftermarket exhaust
$1800 without

Let me know what you think

Exhaust

Last edited by chipper6; 06-29-2020 at 09:16 PM..
chipper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:51 PM   #14
antwon412
Armchair Biker

Motorcycles: 2019 CB500X
Name:
My first bike was a Honda shadow 600. Not my first choice and a bike but it was a gift for my dad so I could get the practice down. It was decent. The first week I was using it I was dragging pegs and exhaust.

I would second the recommendation to get something more in the vein of the UJM standard style.

Maybe look for a NightHawk 650 or something
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:06 PM   #15
motomania2007
TC/MSF/CMSP/ Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsoultanis View Post
Bump, still looking for the right bike
I suggest going to a motorcycle shop and sitting on lots of bikes so get an idea of what kind of bike you're looking for.