Old 10-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #226
W800
Noob

Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: 2019 Kawasaki W800
Name: Dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
You are an amazing blend of gifted visionary and cracked ceramic vessel.
That's the consensus of a lot of people, LOL.

At work they just kind of trust me to get certain things done, and pretty much leave me to myself. My main job involves figuring out ways to make conflicts not happen.

As a side gig, I do some consulting around "ways to get people to hear messages" and "subtle ways to make something happen or not happen."

Without getting into specifics, a single contract on my side gig can be worth what I used to make in a year when I was younger. I think this bodes well, in a way - for our society.

People are willing to pay for age and experience.

ETA: TY for the sig!!!!
-- Less than 800 posts.

Last edited by W800; 10-10-2020 at 12:16 PM..
W800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #227
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfives View Post
Joe Smith, really? Seems more likely to be a nom de plume of a time traveler, or prescient committee!
He was a Jewish Psychologist. My dad went to school with him and I met him n the late fifties, he gave us a ride in his snazzy convertible with the top down.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #228
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by W800 View Post
That's the consensus of a lot of people, LOL.

At work they just kind of trust me to get certain things done, and pretty much leave me to myself. My main job involves figuring out ways to make conflicts not happen.

As a side gig, I do some consulting around "ways to get people to hear messages" and "subtle ways to make something happen or not happen."

Without getting into specifics, a single contract on my side gig can be worth what I used to make in a year when I was younger. I think this bodes well, in a way - for our society.

People are willing to pay for age and experience.

ETA: TY for the sig!!!!
You have my permission to use that sigline.

I made $200 a month, room and board at my first full time job. My last corporate job they told they would pay me whatever I wanted. I just hated corporate desk work.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #229
W800
Noob

Contributor + + +

Quote:
You have my permission to use that sigline.

I made $200 a month, room and board at my first full time job. My last corporate job they told they would pay me whatever I wanted. I just hated corporate desk work.
Thank you!!!

Yes - my first job was dishwasher at $2.95 per hour. I was stoked when they moved me up to night cook!!!

My current jobs are interesting in that every day is different. Paying off a lot of debt right now that I ran up during a kind of random portion of my life. Not getting rich. Just grateful to be able to pay off debts now.

Great karma in that, IMHO.

All work is good work. My main job is a salaried management position. But I started at minimum wage, part time.

I talk to a lot of people. It still kind of freaks me out when I meet someone who doesn't want to work. In the mythical future, I would still work.
-- Less than 800 posts.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #230
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster
Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Honda 919: Apocalypse Edition
Name: Asmodeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerW View Post
Either you missed the cue, or this got REALLY uncomfortable.
Apparently I missed it?

Quote:
Interesting. Yes - I think that if something like this happened, it would have to start somewhere where cost was not an object, then filter down.

Here's my thought experiment. It's 3020...

...Otherwise, they Darwin out.
I find it hard to imagine that homo sapiens sapiens will still exist in 1,000 years except as some kind of genetic record stored as a progenitor reference.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond
Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:34 PM   #231
TylerW
Agitator

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: it has pedals
Name: Look up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
Apparently I missed it?
I was continuing the suggestion that we had already attempted to breed people to enhance their abilities at manual labor, which we did. The result is is a breed of human which is physically imposing, particularly the males, which is why people tend to be afraid of them and cops shoot them a lot.

But then you said "no, they won't be human" and shit got weird.

I'm aware of the possibilities of CRISPR and your suggestion is pushing the outside boundaries of it. I'm wondering how you see the supply chain of these extra laborious subhumans happening and how you don't see people being upset about it. If you havent already you should watch Sorry to Bother You since the third act is kinda what you're talking about.

Last edited by TylerW; 10-10-2020 at 03:57 PM..
TylerW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #232
W800
Noob

Contributor + + +

People who know me know that I am not politically correct. At the same time I would like to please get an amen that all people are created equal, deserve the same liberties , and that what is in hearts is what really matters.
-- Less than 800 posts.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #233
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
People who know me know that I am not politically correct. At the same time I would like to please get an amen that all people are created equal, deserve the same liberties , and that what is in hearts is what really matters.
There are probably about one billion people on the world who believe in their hearts that moving to the US would improve their lives hugely, would be of vast benefit, and that they should have the right.

No amen here.

Love of family is what gets us into the ongoing wars.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:14 PM   #234
W800
Noob

Contributor + + +

Quote:
There are probably about one billion people on the world who believe in their hearts that moving to the US would improve their lives hugely, would be of vast benefit, and that they should have the right.

No amen here.

Love of family is what gets us into the ongoing wars.
Lol, I am not saying that.

What I am saying is that we have inalienable rights. Our country was founded on that ideal. And despite dark periods, it keeps working towards it. That is why people want to come here.

This country, as we know it - was built by immigrants. And I am saying that as someone who is part Cherokee. I do think there should be process, and rules however.

ETA: re love of family - I would posit that you are right, but not in the sense I think you meant.
-- Less than 800 posts.

Last edited by W800; 10-10-2020 at 04:18 PM..
Old 10-11-2020, 01:02 AM   #235
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster
Contributor + + +

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerW View Post
I was continuing the suggestion that we had already attempted to breed people to enhance their abilities at manual labor, which we did. The result is is a breed of human which is physically imposing, particularly the males, which is why people tend to be afraid of them and cops shoot them a lot.

But then you said "no, they won't be human" and shit got weird.

I'm aware of the possibilities of CRISPR and your suggestion is pushing the outside boundaries of it. I'm wondering how you see the supply chain of these extra laborious subhumans happening and how you don't see people being upset about it. If you havent already you should watch Sorry to Bother You since the third act is kinda what you're talking about.
Well, I mean, past attempts to do stuff like that isn't really relevant, they were doing weird stuff to treat other humans with like animal husbandry techniques, which is really not the right tool for the job. It was basically farming dumbshits trying to do farmer stuff to humans. Simply not practical. Trying to train humans to be good at slave labor is like trying to breed a vegetarian breed of dog. You can breed dogs a lot of fucked up ways, but at the end of the day, he is still a damn dog. Humans have brains that do not like to feel like they are being controlled.

To make a worker drone, you have to give it a different brain. Now once we have the technology, a few generations after Human enhancement has become commonplace, making Homo Sapiens easily push the boundaries of their own sight, olfactory, speed, strength, intelligence, etc., by then you start getting to a level of tech that we haven't touched yet to design new organisms outside the boundaries of the Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

All thoughts and emotions are simply chemical reactions in the brain. With enough knowledge about modification, you can design a being that is twice the size of a Homo Sapiens Sapiens, has a much more efficient metabolism, the muscle density of reptiles, and a brain that only wants to be given instruction and do physical labor. Literally doing manual labor would be what made them happy and content.

How would it play out? Would people be happy? It is really hard to say. By my reckoning, the robot economy is going to arrive and destroy most untrained labor and a lot of skilled labor over the next 50 years or so. The overwhelming lack of need for humans to maintain production is going to drive catastrophic reforms on how society operates. One has to assume after a generation or two of war and horror to get to the other side of that change, the new society will emerge some time in the next 100-200 years. With any luck, it will arrive something like Roddenberry's vision of the global cashless society focused on self improvement.

It would be during this time that the next step, the Evolution Revolution begins to take place and Homo Sapiens Sapiens begin to become irrelevant. I imagine custom designed animals would start with something akin to designer pets, but perhaps applications for a more effective labor force on Mars or the Moon would be a driver.

What the world looks like after the robot economy is hard to accurately speculate, so what the next 300-400 years of breeding humans out of existence after the Robot Economy is hard to figure a guess as to the social model?

Quote:
Blood? You're saying blood is what really matters? I like where this is going.

"I approve of any development that makes it more difficult for governments and criminals to monopolize the use of force. ~Eric S. Raymond

Last edited by Eldritch; 10-11-2020 at 01:04 AM..
Old 10-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #236
W800
Noob

Contributor + + +

Quote:
Blood? You're saying blood is what really matters? I like where this is going.
I know about "blood and soil."

I am saying the opposite.

What I am saying is that we are all imbued with inalienable rights regardless of who we are or what our ancestry is. Those rights are enshrined in our founding document. It's an ideal. America is still working towards it. Sometimes not doing a great job - but at least collectively trying.

I think we are STILL the greatest country on Earth because of this.

Right now people are actually using blood as a way to divide America. Social media is driving us into hate-fueled camps based on blood identity. The issue isn't blood.

The issue is poverty. Those in power divide the classes.

youtu.be/hlk7o5T56iw

I grew up in a trailer park. I spent the first part of my life working jobs like "dishwasher," "janitor," "bouncer," and retail. When I was a bouncer, I was doing a lot of meth and hanging around dealers who carried guns. At various points in my life I have been shot at, and had guns held to me. I am pretty much the opposite of a snowflake. I didn't learn this stuff from reading Howard Zinn.

I ended up going to public college. My parents didn't save money for me. My dad was not even in my life by then. I put myself through undergrad, then law school.

The people in law school, for the most part - had entirely different lives than me. They knew NOTHING of poverty. Everything they knew was from books.

I got to see how the "other half" lives (and thinks).

The issue in this country isn't blood, unless you count blood on the street.

The issue is social class. As long as those in power can extract wealth from those who are not in power, that's how it will play out. And it will always play out like this. There are no utopias. Things don't work that way.

ETA: right now we appear to be seeing governments get very "woke." But that's not what it appears to be. If you look at littoral cities like Seattle or Portland, you will note that they are doing way more "community policing." This isn't some progressive thing. It's the opposite. It's a reactionary counterinsurgency tactic. One of the most well known tactics is called "strongman." You work with a local strongman who keeps the peace on the streets. So when the snowflakes say "defund the police," local governments simply reallocate budgets towards what are LITERAL counterinsurgency tactics! People in power aren't as stupid as people think they are. That's why they are in power.

https://komonews.com/news/local/new-...under-scrutiny

We have always done it, but you are seeing more of it. In times of great social change, what you will see is governments circling the wagon. This needs to happen if we want to keep the peace.

NOW - let me bring all this apparently random thought back to Earth. . .

Since the system is self-healing, the only way to make the world (or the U.S.) better is for each one of us to become better. Hate, division, tribalism, protest, anger, shouting - NONE of those things will work to change the system now. They used to work sometimes (protest for example). But that was when we had unitary media.

Now all they do now is drive opposition and make money for people who pimp the issues on both sides. Example: do you know who the biggest fundraiser for NRA is? It's "Brady: United Against Gun Violence." Do you know who the biggest fundraiser for Brady is? It's the NRA itself. Both groups are aware of this.

But people are too dull to understand this. They get caught in their anger.

Let it all go. Work from love. Be compassionate. We change ourselves, and the world gets better. The second we allow ourselves to hate, we get caught in the trap.
-- Less than 800 posts.

Last edited by W800; 10-11-2020 at 11:34 AM..
Old 10-11-2020, 12:01 PM   #237
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin 714 View Post
for it to happen they gotta either:

get around the incompletes theorem or

program effective seriously heuristics
Or they just make better robots
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #238
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster
Contributor + + +

Quote:
I know about "blood and soil."

I am saying the opposite...

...we get caught in the trap.
But if we don't pull out their hearts and squeeze them to see what comes out, how do we know what is in their hearts?

How do we know if it is delicious?

Old 10-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #239
cheez
Master Of The Darkside

Contributor

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name: Dan
Quote:
But if we don't pull out their hearts and squeeze them to see what comes out, how do we know what is in their hearts?

How do we know if it is delicious?

youtu.be/KjdjDz8jhN4
2017 Harley FXDB Dyna Street Bob (//SVART//)
2000 Suzuki DR650 (Dr. Bike)
2004 Yamaha FJR1300AC (The Pensive Parrot)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || FCC: N0CHZ
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #240
Eldritch
is insensitive

Top Percent Poster
Contributor + + +

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post