BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Notices

Old 05-31-2021, 08:00 PM   #16
northwood
Rookie

AMA #3281914

Motorcycles: 07 Honda CBR1000RR; 06 Honda VFR800; 15 Honda GROM!
Name: Chris
I have a ton of suggestions, but not enough time to type on my phone. Hell’s canyon in ID/OR/WA border is worth a detour up past Imnaha (deeper than the Grand Canyon and ride along 2,000’+ spines). Yellowstone is going to be super busy and obnoxious. Bighorn mtns through Dayton/Lovell UT is an amazing view east to west.
2015 Honda GROOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!
northwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:10 PM   #17
northwood
Rookie

AMA #3281914

Motorcycles: 07 Honda CBR1000RR; 06 Honda VFR800; 15 Honda GROM!
Name: Chris
Specifically hat point in Oregon. For Hell’s Canyon.

https://josephoregon.com/eagle-cap-w...ours/hat-point
2015 Honda GROOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!
northwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #18
scootergmc
old and slow

Motorcycles: Honda HT3813 (x2), Cub Cadet 147, Oliver 1655, Super 88, Cat 15 (x2), Yam FJR
Name:
OK, I like to go balls out to get to my areas I really want to be and then spend more time seeing the areas, etc. This is where interstates come into play, otherwise, I avoid them. I'm not a fan of the backtracking into ID to craters of the moon but it's your trip. Getting home through NV can be hot and boring so I usually stay on the 50 corridor. So I give these suggestions as to your planning-

https://goo.gl/maps/6MHwVy5oSbYwhTeE9

This MT section is picturesque. Biggest wild herd of elk I've ever seen was just west of 287. Yellowstone can suck on a motorcycle if nobody yields, but I don't believe the tour busses are running so that's a plus. Get in the park early and leave early. However you do in/around the park entrance/exit is up to you. I don't think it will be terrible, but it won't be the greatest.

https://goo.gl/maps/WpFMuLqq5gjgSEyj8 There's no reason to head back up into Southern MT as it looks a lot like Northern WY. Alt 14/14 is a great route and I think someone already suggested the Bighorns.

https://goo.gl/maps/nL6VZHvoeoeTxgeE6 Here's where I deviate. You cannot get that close to South Dakota with the amount of time you have and not go into the Black Hills. You're not averse to dirt so have at it. Basically there are many ways to get in and around the Custer/Mt. Rushmore area and there really is a lot to see and do. The little towns are fun to walk/explore, there's lots of hiking and there will be people, but it really is a nice area. Custer state park had better wildlife viewing than Yellowstone did for me. When you leave this area going southwest take the twisty routes unless you're trying to make time.

https://goo.gl/maps/MCxft4uqBY2yHHXa6 Laramie to Gunnison can go any which way, but I keep you further east because I'm already there and dropping in through Craig, etc. can get really hot in the summer, and it's not that fun. Walden sits in a mountain valley at about 7500 ft. It's beautiful in June. There can be lots of bugs though, so be prepared to clean your screens. This route takes you through Leadville too, kind of fun to be in a little city at 10k+ ft.

https://goo.gl/maps/AL3YTNe1Qoj7Md5D8 More Colorado Colorado Colorado. Go wherever whenever, take your time, see the sights, hike everywhere. I'm more into keeping things twisty as you can tell. I really like Black Canyon as I told you last year. You'll have tourists in Durango/Silverton/Ouray but it's to be expected.

https://goo.gl/maps/snmmzrduobHPHfCE9 Just a suggestion here as it's already somewhat mixed into your plan.

Whatever you decide, have a good time.

Last edited by scootergmc; 06-05-2021 at 03:39 PM..
scootergmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #19
BillSmith
Mild Hawg

Motorcycles: HD 2011 FXDF Dyna Fat Bob
Name: Bill
Grissom-

Interesting... I didn't even know Hwy 50 went to the East Coast

Yup, there are some websites that delineate the trip. That sign posted is like the one on SR-33 in my avatar. It's a challenge!

When are you planning on doing this ride?

Soon! Not next week, but sometime in June. Did a C2C run in 2019. From here to Atlantic City, NJ. It rained on me from eastern Nebraska all the way to the Atlantic...and back! Curtailed my resolve to explore. At present, it seems prudent to leave on a Thursday and arrive at a point to pass through Colorado on a weekend day to avoid the major road construction project noted earlier.

I see you have riden (sic) C2C before - do you have a ride report somewhere?

Kept a sketchy notebook of mileage and took very few pictures. A ride report might catch attention of spouse. Not all tales have been told, as yet.

A C2C ride has been on my bucket list to do.

My preferred option is a convertible with wife as passenger. Both is better, so imagine wife and I will do a long haul before summer is over.

I did a C2C drive in 2012 with my son (dropped him off in Boston for school) and it was a awesome experience.

I/we've done some major miles over the years. The glow in cheeks last until the next one. Not a coincidence to me that when you add a curvy letter to miles, you get smiles.

And on that curvy note, adding Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon to the return itinerary. After all, I do ride a Harley now. Ha!
Sometimes a bike is just a bike.
BillSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:31 PM   #20
BillSmith
Mild Hawg

Motorcycles: HD 2011 FXDF Dyna Fat Bob
Name: Bill
Damn you John. US-6 looks like another challenge! Could do the historic route from Long Beach, but Bishop would be a fine jump point too.

From Wikipedia,

US 6 does not serve a major transcontinental corridor, unlike other highways. George R. Stewart, author of U.S. 40: Cross Section of the United States of America, initially considered US 6, but realized that "Route 6 runs uncertainly from nowhere to nowhere, scarcely to be followed from one end to the other, except by some devoted eccentric".

Don't know if devoted is the adjective to describe me. Perhaps deranged? Maybe that's an oxymoron. Either way, sound like a plan.
Sometimes a bike is just a bike.
BillSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:49 PM   #21
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017, 2021
Contributor +++++ ++++ 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmith View Post
Damn you John. US-6 looks like another challenge! Could do the historic route from Long Beach, but Bishop would be a fine jump point too.

From Wikipedia,

US 6 does not serve a major transcontinental corridor, unlike other highways. George R. Stewart, author of U.S. 40: Cross Section of the United States of America, initially considered US 6, but realized that "Route 6 runs uncertainly from nowhere to nowhere, scarcely to be followed from one end to the other, except by some devoted eccentric".

Don't know if devoted is the adjective to describe me. Perhaps deranged? Maybe that's an oxymoron. Either way, sound like a plan.

we need a Sport Touring/Cruising BS thread ...

U.S. Route 6 (US 6), also called the Grand Army of the Republic Highway

that's some fun map to click on and zoom in, on the Route 6 Wiki page ...

thread content: Black Hills, SD, are awesome ...
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:30 PM   #22
hardy1506
Rookie

Motorcycles: 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic 15 Aprillia Caponord 1200
Name: Hardy
I am ready

I am so confused now with all the options, I even thought of C2C
I ll park C2C for some other summer

Thank you all for great suggestions
I suck at writing reports but i ll let pictures speak

=====

Overall I divided this trip into 5 pieces

Glacier NP

https://goo.gl/maps/DVfSbRpAtTRJDMZQA

I got a campsite for june 14th to 15th in many glacier campground, I will start on June 11th.
Basically Fremont - Belden - Boise ID - Lolo Pass - Missoula - 83 - Glacier NP
I dont have ticket for Goin-to-the-sun road but i ll try my luck 2 days before ( 1/4 ticket are only available 2 days before ) If not it ll suck but its OK..next time

Glacier NP to Devils Tower

https://goo.gl/maps/c6EVwH5ENYViS7Xp6
Not a big fan of crowd so might skip Yellowstone but most likely, thats the route

If i really really like lolo-pass and get annoyed with crowd in glacier NP, then i might do this ( Hells canyon - craters of the moon )
https://goo.gl/maps/1MjMeAEMN99VVvnj6

Devils Tower to South Dakota

Whatever @scootergmc Suggested i.e https://goo.gl/maps/nL6VZHvoeoeTxgeE6

South Dakota to Colorado

Whatever @scootergmc Suggested i.e https://goo.gl/maps/MCxft4uqBY2yHHXa6 and
https://goo.gl/maps/AL3YTNe1Qoj7Md5D8
I missed Colorado last year cz I dint listen to you guys about tires and brakes
learned it hardway, so this time everything is nicely done

Colorodo - UT-12 - GreatBasin NP - Home

I am forever infected by UT - SR95 and SR12 so not skipping those
I wanna do Great Basin and HWY-50 again so keeping those

========

Thank you again, special thanks to @scootergmc
I will share link to pictures as i upload them
Stay Safe

Last edited by hardy1506; 06-02-2021 at 09:50 PM..
hardy1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #23
norcalkid
Veteran

Motorcycles: DL650
Name:
I also liked 50 across Nevada. If in the summer plan ahead for the heat. I set an alarm and made it a couple hundred miles before noon. Great riding but got HOT (August). Not a big deal but do plan for it.

I liked Apgar Lake campground in Glacier. Literally right on the Road to the sun. Nice campground and a mile or 2 from West Glacier Village store and Ice Cream shop.

There are several campgrounds on 212 (Beartooth Highway) a few miles outside Red Lodge Mt.

Also a fan of 95/12 Escalante. If I were in that area I'd hit Zion.
norcalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:19 PM   #24
bikewanker
Veteran

AMA #: 178394
Contributor ++++++++++++1%

Motorcycles: FJ-09, TR-650x2, Rapid Taxi RR, Tiger 1050, ZX-6r, '81 1002 F
Name: chris
Does anybody not like UT 95/12? Rally!
Understand crowds and time constraints but you might consider going a few miles west of Beartooth to 296 Chief Joseph hwy ride southeasterly to Cody then 14 East. Beautiful sweepers and the only traffic I remember in June were sheep herders.

"tis better to wank here than in the hereafter" M.S. Murphy.
"Rivers and roads lead people on" Georgia O'Keeffe

Be Well Ride Well
bikewanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:43 AM   #25
bcj
Spagthorpe RA

Motorcycles: BMW K1200RS / SV650
Name:
Slightly east out of Missoula MT, saw you have that listed, good,
Hwy 83 north from Clearwater up through Salmon Prairie is a scenic wonder.
Two lane road with 70mph posted speed. Trees & farm fields.

Last edited by bcj; 06-04-2021 at 08:49 AM..
bcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:28 AM   #26
hardy1506
Rookie

Motorcycles: 08 Kawasaki Concours 14 06 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic 15 Aprillia Caponord 1200
Name: Hardy
Glacier NP is very busy and I dont expect to find any campsites ( online is completely booked ) I was just playing with the recreation.gov app and I somehow found 1 for a day only in many glacier campground. They even want $2 ticket for entry to goin-to-the-sun-road no ticket no entry and 3/4 ticket are sold online 2 months ahead of time ( all booked )
1/4 tickets are available 2 days before ( I am going to try my luck for this option )

I love ZION but given the crowd situation, i would most likely pass it this time, Might stop at Bryce Canyon and finish navajo loop trail this time.

Heat is not a big problem but i ll keep that in mind while riding on Hwy-50, thanks for heads up

I also updated route to consider chief joseph hwy https://goo.gl/maps/CF42SReJsu68n33W9

I like to see the route on google maps 3D and then pick mostly the ones between mountains thats how i decided about 83, thanks for the pic

cant wait ....
hardy1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #27
N4teTheGreat
Haply

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
Rode through Zion in July three years back on a trip. We got there late in the day which made for some dramatic lighting. Not much in the way of crowds but we also didn't bother trying to take the shuttles into the heart of the park, just rode through. Obviously it wasn't at a quick pace, but it was enjoyable.

N4teTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:56 AM   #28
bcj
Spagthorpe RA

Motorcycles: BMW K1200RS / SV650
Name:
Saw this at the Lolo Pass visitor center.

bcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:03 PM   #29
norcalkid
Veteran

Motorcycles: DL650
Name:
I also updated route to consider chief joseph hwy https://goo.gl/maps/CF42SReJsu68n33W9

35 around the East side of Flathead lake is nice sweeping turns. A bit like riding around Tahoe with less traffic. But then 93 south to Missoula kinda sucks. I wasn't able to find a campsite at Flathead lake without a reservation.

I took 12 I think it was the old Lewis and Clark trail east and cut down to Redlodge, into the park on 212 and south through Jackson.

Have fun!!

This was my trip. I think there are pics of 35.
https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/f...d.php?t=538160

Last edited by norcalkid; 06-04-2021 at 12:13 PM..
norcalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:20 PM   #30
bikewanker
Veteran

AMA #: 178394
Contributor ++++++++++++1%

Motorcycles: FJ-09, TR-650x2, Rapid Taxi RR, Tiger 1050, ZX-6r, '81 1002 F
Name: chris
[QUOTE] I am so confused now with all the options,[/QUOTE
What a great country! You’ll be enjoying the American “on the road” experience on the 4th of July.🇺🇸

"tis better to wank here than in the hereafter" M.S. Murphy.
"Rivers and roads lead people on" Georgia O'Keeffe

Be Well Ride Well
bikewanker is offline   Reply With Quote