Old 03-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #61
Owensdad
Veteran

Contributor ++

Motorcycles: 98 VTR1000
Name: Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owensdad View Post
Agree. The point was that borrowing is better than an early distribution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle61 View Post
Just like shooting yourself in the foot is better than shooting yourself in the nuts.
I would agree.
Owensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #62
SFSV650
The Slowest Sprotbike™

Contributor + + + 3%

Motorcycles: 2007 R1200R
Name:
A hypothetical; if someone was knocked off their bike in a hit and run and had to buy a new jacket, would they be able to take that as a deduction?

(Just realized I forgot to claim the $700 of gear stolen from my bike this summer )
SFSV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #63
Owensdad
Veteran

Contributor ++

Unreimbursed theft losses can be taken as casualty losses. You will need to itemize. And there are AGI limits. If this is your only casualty loss, given the amount, it is unlikely to generate a tax benefit.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #64
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
A tenant leases space, 3 year term. Capitalizes leasehold improvements over 36 months. Moves out for one month, comes back after 30 days. New lease is established. 30 day break in lease contracts.

Still need to capitalize over 15 years or can the remainder be written off in year 4?
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #65
SpeedyCorky
rides minibikes;U should2

Contributor +++++2%

Motorcycles: are clearly addicting; so you see - it's really not my fault...
Name: key-tay
Owensdad spent 10~ min on the phone w/ me and explained this real easy, and help me answer some *i'm sure very basic* questions related to the tax changes that occurred for me this past year.

KUDOZ !!!

Gary J Cygnus Lloyd CulverDan
SpeedyCorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #66
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer

Yeah, Sam rules hardcore.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #67
dmaxAl
Veteran

AMA #: 2815458
Contributor + + + + + 2%

Motorcycles: Adele
Name: Al
Just finished my ass raping efile.. My tax situation is pretty straightforward, what was striking was turbotax definitely asked more questions this year..
Thanks Obama
dmaxAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #68
Eye Heart Pasta
Erik changed my life

Reads Mostly User
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Ducati ST4s (Weekends), V-Strom (Weekdays)
Name: Danny
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxAl View Post
Just finished my ass raping efile.. My tax situation is pretty straightforward, what was striking was turbotax definitely asked more questions this year..
Thanks Obama
Are you "married filing jointly"? I tried to efile over the weekend and my fed was rejected because of some issue with the SSN being the primary on one return and secondary on another. I tried again on Monday and same problem. AFAIK, everything looks right on my return. I suspect it's a single wrong line of code either within turbotax or at the receiving computer at IRS. I was going to wait until next Monday and try again and if that failed just file by mail. My state return sailed through on the first try.
Eye Heart Pasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #69
Ducky_Fresh
Treasure Hunter

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + +
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: Virtual Moto
Name: Ev
I've been getting a tax professional for the last 4 years. I paid him $800 this year. I think I am going to file my taxes myself next year and save that, just wondering how much complexity there is to replicating it. I wouldn't think a whole lot?

Major change in 2014: We're expecting our first kid.

Oh, and went back and deposited $3000 in to my HSA to get those pre-tax dollars, of which I am getting about $1000 back. Pretty cool..
Ducky_Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #70
dmaxAl
Veteran

AMA #: 2815458
Contributor + + + + + 2%

Motorcycles: Adele
Name: Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Heart Pasta View Post
Are you "married filing jointly"? I tried to efile over the weekend and my fed was rejected because of some issue with the SSN being the primary on one return and secondary on another. I tried again on Monday and same problem. AFAIK, everything looks right on my return. I suspect it's a single wrong line of code either within turbotax or at the receiving computer at IRS. I was going to wait until next Monday and try again and if that failed just file by mail. My state return sailed through on the first try.
Yeah man, joint filing. I ran update last night before check and everything sailed through.. Call turbotax support, you shouldn't have to snail mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky_Fresh View Post
I've been getting a tax professional for the last 4 years. I paid him $800 this year. I think I am going to file my taxes myself next year and save that, just wondering how much complexity there is to replicating it. I wouldn't think a whole lot?

Major change in 2014: We're expecting our first kid.

Oh, and went back and deposited $3000 in to my HSA to get those pre-tax dollars, of which I am getting about $1000 back. Pretty cool..
Is your situation complicated? Turbotax is very straightforward to use, and just walks you through income/deductions/etc... For the $60 it costs you could even try it before deciding to use your cpa..?
dmaxAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #71
Owensdad
Veteran

Contributor ++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
A tenant leases space, 3 year term. Capitalizes leasehold improvements over 36 months. Moves out for one month, comes back after 30 days. New lease is established. 30 day break in lease contracts.

Still need to capitalize over 15 years or can the remainder be written off in year 4?
Qualified leasehold improvements are depreciated over 15 years as you note.

I think you are asking if this can be accelerated under some interpretation of the disposition rules. Highly doubtful, since the tenant must permanently give up possession to create an abandonment disposition.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:29 PM   #72
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer

Thanks Sam…and a few months won't be considered abandonment. Gracias Amigo!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:35 PM   #73
Ducky_Fresh
Treasure Hunter

Founding Member
Contributor + + + + +
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: Virtual Moto
Name: Ev
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxAl View Post
Is your situation complicated? Turbotax is very straightforward to use, and just walks you through income/deductions/etc... For the $60 it costs you could even try it before deciding to use your cpa..?
Nothing too crazy. Married, sales occupation and deductions, but not 1099, rental property. Not really, IMO. I had a lot of complex house things for a few years and something major always seems to come up and I want to ensure maximum return. So it seems OK. But replicating next year seems easy.

And yes, I thought about using turbo tax and using it to replicate and estimate my tax return (along with my wife's). I am pretty sure I can get close enough that the $800 fee can be mitigated.
Ducky_Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #74
Eye Heart Pasta
Erik changed my life

Reads Mostly User
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Ducati ST4s (Weekends), V-Strom (Weekdays)
Name: Danny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Heart Pasta View Post
I suspect it's a single wrong line of code either within turbotax or at the receiving computer at IRS.
Nope. Someone already filed a return using my wife's SSN.

I called the IRS this morning and found out the bad news. Have to snail mail my return along with form 14039 ID Theft Affidavit. I printed out pub 4535 IDTheft victim checklist and the wife gets to deal with that on her day off.

Good times.

On the plus side, Ms. Miller at the IRS was very pleasant and helpful.
Eye Heart Pasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #75
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
I sent a check to the IRS and noted that the payment was for 2013 taxes. Around a month later, I receive a refund for 2012 (filed late due to some complexities) and for whatever reason, the IRS gave that 2013 payment right back to me in my 2012 refund and did not apply it towards 2013 taxes like they were supposed to. They've acknowledged the error on their end. I didn't catch their mistake on my 2012 return and now they've wrecked my planning for 2013. Do I have any recourse?