BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Covid - 19, What We Know

Notices

Old 01-31-2021, 07:22 AM   #1
DrSwade
...for limited time...

Motorcycles: .why you gotta pick my scabs?
Name: Rob
Getting COVID doesn’t create immunity but a manufactured vaccine does?

Can someone explain this please?
Because all along I have understood vaccines to be either actual viruses which weren’t living or a lab grown version of these diseases that weren’t viable which when introduced into the human body, would create an immune response, thereby preventing the host from getting the actual disease or at the least, a lesser serious case of said disease.

Is there another pathogen out there which we have been innoculated against in which getting and surviving the disease doesn’t create a form of immunity?
DrSwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:02 AM   #2
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSwade View Post
Can someone explain this please?
Because all along I have understood vaccines to be either actual viruses which weren’t living or a lab grown version of these diseases that weren’t viable which when introduced into the human body, would create an immune response, thereby preventing the host from getting the actual disease or at the least, a lesser serious case of said disease.

Is there another pathogen out there which we have been innoculated against in which getting and surviving the disease doesn’t create a form of immunity?
Says who?

Having covid does create immunity.

What am I missing?

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
From what I've read, there are a handful of cases where people have gotten Covid twice, but it's rare. The disease hasn't been around long enough to know how long immunity lasts, regardless of whether it's from getting the disease once or from a vaccine.

I've found the best articles on the subject at https://arstechnica.com/
Search for "Covid" and you'll get a bunch of well written and informative articles.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:45 AM   #4
CDONA
Home of Vortex tuning

Motorcycles: Triumph scrambler, TW200, Monkey
Name: # 44659
Or,
Is it you can still catch the 'rona after the complete vaccination, with the current disclaimer "you can still catch the 'rona, but it won't kill you".

This bugs me, you still can get sick.

All I want for Xmas is my two vaccines

Started hammerin' Honda 90's around Berryessa, Summer of Love '67
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:53 AM   #5
cheez
Master Of The Darkside

Contributor

Motorcycles: I'm not picky.
Name: Dan
Immunity from having caught and had COVID comes from your body having recognized an invading protein or other mass, manufactured enzymes to target it, and has the memory of both that invading protein and the enzymes that were effective at targeting it to use to keep you from "catching" the thing again. In many cases, your body is defeating COVID not by targeting the best protein for identifying and preventing the transmission of COVID, as the vaccine is targeted for, but is targeting some other protein assembly in the virus, which is harder to detect, takes longer to respond to, etc. It may be a slight variant of the virus which doesn't have whatever factor your body chose to identify and target in it, or present in the same form, etc.

The vaccine (Moderna/Pfizer specifically) is developed to target the specific protein the COVID virus uses to invade cells. It's always present in COVID and if it disappears, it's likely the virus has become less transmissible, so the vaccine being less effective isn't automatically bad. By using this specific protein, the body develops the blueprints to attack this protein and files them away once the infection is fought- providing a much more targeted and effective immunity than the general, un-directed response of your immune system.

The J&J vaccine is the 'dead virus' variant- unlike the Moderna/Pfizer vaccines.
2017 Harley FXDB Dyna Street Bob (//SVART//)
2000 Suzuki DR650 (Dr. Bike)
2004 Yamaha FJR1300AC (The Pensive Parrot)
2004 Suzuki Burgman 650 (Ingrid Burgman)
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || FCC: N0CHZ
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:53 AM   #6
Yakoo752
USN

AMA # 3164290
Contributor ++++++++++ 2%

Motorcycles: M900
Name: Mateusz
I think the term you are looking for is sterilizing immunity and not all vaccines provide this. It appears this may create an effective immunity.

Just because you develop an immune response doesn't guarantee you won't get it in the future.

You can get covid twice and it appears you can get covid after you get the vaccination, the rates seems quite similar.
Cygnus 12.02.10
Yakoo752 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:22 AM   #7
Jammer

Motorcycles: FJR1300
Name:
My wife's nephew caught covid twice, 8 months apart. He recovered fully each time, not surprising since he's 24 and very healthy.

Last edited by Jammer; 01-31-2021 at 11:24 AM..
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:16 PM   #8
tgrrdr
Не мои обезьяны!

Contributor

Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger
Name: Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
Having covid does create immunity.
it may not create lasting immunity in all cases. My understanding is that reinfection rates are low but there have been documented cases.

Even the vaccines may require periodic boosters. This is not uncommon.
tgrrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:19 PM   #9
tgrrdr
Не мои обезьяны!

Contributor

Motorcycles: Triumph Tiger
Name: Bill
possibly of interest.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...764-7/fulltext
tgrrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:52 PM   #10
splat
Veteran

Motorcycles: Mostly red ones
Name: Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSwade View Post
I'm not a virologist, but the answer is yes.

You can get innoculated against shingles and it has a 90% efficacy. Or you can get shingles multiple times (more than twice is rare though).

Tetanus, you don't get immunity from being infected.

Haemophilus influenzae type B(HiB) also doesn't give you immunity if you've had it before.

Same goes for Pertussis/whooping cough, Pneumococcal Disease/strep, rotavirus, and I'm sure plenty of others.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:00 AM   #11
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
I think it will be unique if the vaccine gives you better immunity than having actually had the disease in the past.

It doesn't seem clear to me why we'd want to vaccinate people who have already had it unless it is to boost their immunity, but I'd think that they should be getting a vaccine at a later date as it seems wasteful and inefficient to vaccinate somebody who already had it in front of people who hadn't.

Graph and Table I built for seeing state Covid19 data:
Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #12
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
I think it will be unique if the vaccine gives you better immunity than having actually had the disease in the past.

It doesn't seem clear to me why we'd want to vaccinate people who have already had it unless it is to boost their immunity, but I'd think that they should be getting a vaccine at a later date as it seems wasteful and inefficient to vaccinate somebody who already had it in front of people who hadn't.
Depends. Would you deny the vaccine to a healthcare worker who works with covid patients and had already contracted the virus?

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
Old 02-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #13
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
Depends. Would you deny the vaccine to a healthcare worker who works with covid patients and had already contracted the virus?
The question is, would it do them any good?

If they already had it and were getting exposed once in awhile, wouldn't that lead to a natural reinforcement of their immunity?

Graph and Table I built for seeing state Covid19 data:
Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:17 PM   #14
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Actually the question is would it do any harm.
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:44 PM   #15
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Quote:

If they already had it and were getting exposed once in awhile, wouldn't that lead to a natural reinforcement of their immunity?
It wouldn't do any harm. Might give stronger immunity like a booster. Would you bet your life on continued high risk work without a vaccine when some form of protection is available?

I've had it. I have daily contact with the public in fairly high risk circumstances. I'm planning on getting the vaccine and don't feel I should have to wait behind lower risk people simply because I've already had it.