BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Riderís Rights. Presented by Cycle Gear > Laws & Lawmakers

Notices

Old 01-09-2021, 08:21 PM   #16
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
Name: Steve
Just before I sold the condo, I received a note saying I needed to paint my outside screen door. I thought the external parts belonged to the owner of the development but whatever. I painted it. ( Steel screen, white)
Well they didn't like my paint job. So I painted it again. Another letter. At that point I told them to pound sand or paint it themselves. They started fining me. That's where things stood when I sold and got out of there.

Mad
Old 01-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #17
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Motorcycles: '09 600RR
Name: Axel Foley
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmith View Post
Kurosaki- The original poster mentioned he was thinking of buying. You peons that rent are SOL. Ha!

You are correct and bring up whole `nother point. Renters are screwed in HOAs more so than just a normal apartment style renting experience. If as a renter in an HOA you break a rule, the board fines or admonishes the owner, not the renter.

The owner then has reason to suspend a signed lease and boot the renter. Still the usual hassle of eviction, but renter has little with which to counter.

And btw, Axel, you don't rent, you just take up residence in those costly mansions in Beverly Hills.
Bill. Thank you, I needed that laugh, zero sarcasm.

And you're right. We are pretty good tenants but we've had people over for holiday parties a few times and gotten noise complaints. Neighbors complained to the HOA, landlord got the notice, then he had to tell us. When the neighbors could have just knocked on the door and talked to us directly but as I said in an earlier post, Karens gonna Karen.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #18
acpigeon

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard
Name:
I've been living in a condo (renting) for a while and have never had issues, but different communities / people and who knows.

Appreciate all the perspectives here. I don't have any other options so will make the best of it, be a good neighbor etc and I'm sure things will be ok.
acpigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:10 PM   #19
Kornholio
:wave

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: Goldilocks
Name: Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
Bill. Thank you, I needed that laugh, zero sarcasm.

And you're right. We are pretty good tenants but we've had people over for holiday parties a few times and gotten noise complaints. Neighbors complained to the HOA, landlord got the notice, then he had to tell us. When the neighbors could have just knocked on the door and talked to us directly but as I said in an earlier post, Karens gonna Karen.
How many times have you yourself knocked on someone else's door to complain to them about being too noisy or heard of someone who has? The usual response? "Mind your own fucking business, asshole" or some derivative thereof...plus or minus colorful language. People are largely assholes these days. Especially in the Bay Area. That's why your neighbors would rather call the police or the HOA and let them deal with you. There hasn't been a single time in my life when I've been somewhere that's gotten a noise complaint that it hasn't been painfully aware to me and many others that we were being too loud. If it comes to the point that someone has to report you for being an unneighborly asshole, chances are coming to you to do it isn't going to fix anything. You already knew you were being too loud and simply didn't care.

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

I forgot that Yelp is a weapon for dumb people. -Stewie Griffin
Kornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #20
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornholio View Post
How many times have you yourself knocked on someone else's door to complain to them about being too noisy or heard of someone who has? The usual response? "Mind your own fucking business, asshole" or some derivative thereof...plus or minus colorful language. People are largely assholes these days. Especially in the Bay Area. That's why your neighbors would rather call the police or the HOA and let them deal with you. There hasn't been a single time in my life when I've been somewhere that's gotten a noise complaint that it hasn't been painfully aware to me and many others that we were being too loud. If it comes to the point that someone has to report you for being an unneighborly asshole, chances are coming to you to do it isn't going to fix anything. You already knew you were being too loud and simply didn't care.
I guess I'm used to living in neighborhoods where the community had the balls to approach your fellow neighbors if they have a problem and I thought that's what normal people do. And if someone asks us to keep it down, we actually keep it down, not just tell them to fuck off.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:53 PM   #21
Kornholio
:wave

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: Goldilocks
Name: Jason
You'd be the first person I'm personally aware of that reacts that way. Good on you.

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

I forgot that Yelp is a weapon for dumb people. -Stewie Griffin
Kornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #22
NorCalAthlete
O_o

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: .
Name:
I've given my neighbors my cell phone number when I moved in and let them know in advance I have a surround system and have mild hearing loss / tinnitus from having previously been in heavy artillery. Just been like "let me know if it ever gets too loud and I'll turn it down."

In 20 years or so I've only ever had 1 text asking me to turn it down and usually the cell phone # swap turns into card nights, wine nights, etc.
Your views on any given subject are the sum of the media that you take in, scaled to the weight of the credibility of the source that provides it, seen through a lens of your own values, goals, and achievements.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Wheel horsepower is just crank horsepower after taxes.
NorCalAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:51 PM   #23
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornholio View Post
You'd be the first person I'm personally aware of that reacts that way. Good on you.
I can't speak for anywhere but the neighborhoods I've lived in but it seems the lesser affluent places I've lived, people were more neighborly. Nobody's calling the cops unless absolutely necessary because nobody wants cops in the neighborhood if they don't have to be. And borrowing the proverbial cup of sugar from your neighbor was a thing. The more expensive the neighborhood, the less people give a fuck about their neighbors.

Trying not to paint with with too broad a brush here... because I grew up in Chino Hills, and my neighbors were incredibly neighborly and I'm ranting a bit now, I get it. We moved here, South Orange County, because the location made the most sense, commute wise, for the 3 of our jobs. But since work from home for me is a thing that doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon, I'm thinking about moving next time my lease renewal rolls around this year. I can go anywhere. A lot of things about this area drives me nuts.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:39 PM   #24
DannoXYZ
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: CB125T EX250E Ninja250R racer CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR250R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR VFR750
Name: Danno
Not just this area, seems like CA in general. Maybe CA has more affluent neighborhoods?

When I lived in Santa Barbara, I got knock on door. It was a County official, very apologetically telling me he had to follow up on complaint. Apparently, guy next door took offence at me running my tech-consulting biz out of house. County guy said everything's fine since I don't have store-front with customers coming and going. He even showed me map of complaints and it showed a ring of about 9 houses. Idiot next door had complained about EVERYONE around him! Can't imagine what trouble guy like that can stir up if he had whole book of HOA regulations he can scrutinise entire neighborhood with.

I go by live-and-let-live idea. As long as neighbors aren't preventing me from doing what I want to do, I don't really care what they get up to. And I try to do same. Is the complaining-guy doing weed in his car hindering my life in any way? No! So I don't worry about it.

Lady behind me called one time about my salsa-dancing party going a little late and loud. Sure, I moved it all inside and closed doors & windows and called her back to see if it's OK. I guess lots of people don't turn it around.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 01-10-2021 at 09:40 PM..
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:18 AM   #25
NorCalBusa
Member #294

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: .
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
I guess I'm used to living in neighborhoods where the community had the balls to approach your fellow neighbors if they have a problem and I thought that's what normal people do. And if someone asks us to keep it down, we actually keep it down, not just tell them to fuck off.
You've mixed things up a little. Its when you tell them to fuck off- you need to do so under your breath "keeping it down" so you've complied.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #26
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
Name: Steve
I am SOOO glad I moved up to the boondocks. I'm on one acre, no neighbors on either side very close. I can do pretty much whatever I want. Play my music in the garage at Full Tilt Bozo...run around nekkid....

Mad
Old 01-11-2021, 10:58 AM   #27
DannoXYZ
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: CB125T EX250E Ninja250R racer CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR250R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR VFR750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
I am SOOO glad I moved up to the boondocks. I'm on one acre, no neighbors on either side very close. I can do pretty much whatever I want. Play my music in the garage at Full Tilt Bozo...run around nekkid....

Mad
Good for you! I'm looking at +20 acres in Oregon or AZ for same thing! Closest neighbor would be 1/4-mile away if I build in centre.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #28
N4teTheGreat
Noob!

Motorcycles: 2012 DRZ 400s, 2018 Ducati Hypermotard SP
Name: Nathan
HOAs suck. I'm on the board in my building and I'm pretty sure it's taking years off my life. If could afford a house in the bay area I'd get the f outta hear asap. I *think* notes from the open board meetings should be available to you as a buyer. I'd give those a read to get an idea of how things are with the association.
N4teTheGreat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #29
DannoXYZ
Veteran

Barf Roadside Angel

Problem with HOA regulations is they are worded so generically and vague that anyone at ANY TIME can be busted for something. Like Steve's shade of white for example. Then any 5 different HOA members can subjectively decide whether they like it or not. Would be so much better if things were written in specific unambiguous terms:

- external screen doors shall be painted Pantone #11-4001-TCX "Brilliant White"
- after 2100 PST, noise shall be limited to less than 72 db-SPL as measured from spot on kerb at centre of edges of property
- etc.

Same exact standards for everyone so there is no subjective judgement possible. That would cut down on LOTS of the BS personality & character conflicts.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 01-14-2021 at 04:56 PM..
Old 01-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #30
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Same exact standards for everyone so there is no subjective judgement possible. That would cut down on LOTS of the BS personality & character conflicts.
Doesn't seem those on HOA boards usually want that actually. That subjective judgement works in their favor. They make the rules that suit them best.