drizz
it's monkey madness!

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2 lil, 2 big
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Max Smiley
aloha m_asim IMO you can never be a good enough swimmer before venturing out into open oceans but if you are indeed a beginner swimmer then more ocean and pool time laps sans waves would be smart. you can't depend on having a board to be able to come in neither. sometimes it's not about swimming at all but being able to hold your breathe and relax while being held under. learn to read the tide charts and about rip currents and undertow. take those classes as suggested and talk to the lifeguard & other surfers. good luck and have fun in that cold water
MOJO

surfing is dangerous. the better you are in the water (swimming, holding your breath, etc.), the more likely you are to not get hurt. I've had many-a-scare that could have been worse if I hadn't been raised in the pool
drizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #17
Salo

Motorcycles:
Name:
oh yeah, definitely go down to Santa Cruz @ Steamer Lane and check out the Museum. there is a little book you can buy for cheap that goes over the basic "in-water" rules and stuff.

but don't surf there, whatever you do. just go around the bluff and hit Cowell's. wait until low tide and watch the freaks come out! i swear there are about 150 people out there.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:15 AM   #18
brichter
Spun out freakshow

AMA #: 1108554
Contributor +++++++++++++
Barf Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Fast & Dirty!
Name: ID Thief!
You can only continue to surf as long as you can continue to paddle. When the arms give out, you will come in (or go WAY out!).

Find a place with a pool and get a membership. Swim a couple times a week for 45 min, you'll be ok all year long. The worst thing to do is not swim for 6 months, then go surfing.

Originally posted by Cruisingram
You know, in Alaska, you don't lose your woman, you lose your turn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
it doesn't matter whose fault it was when you're lying in the graveyard.
brichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:16 AM   #19
brichter
Spun out freakshow

Quote:
Originally posted by Rambeezi
When I first moved from Hawai'i to Northern Cali I tried to continue surfing but couldn't hang.

Reason #1 - Brah that water is COLD!!

Reason #3 - Brah that water is COLD!!

Reason #5 - that water is VERY cold.

coughPussay!cough

That's what a 4/3 is for!

Quote:
Old 06-14-2005, 12:10 PM   #20
weak_link
Hugh Jasole

Mod Alumni
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Multistrada 1200S Touring
Name: Eric
When you say 'LA' where are you planning on surfing? I lived at the beach in SF during my college years, then moved to LA and continued to surf for a few more years around El Porto and made trips up to Santa Barbara and down to Trestles about once a month.
Be a strong swimmer. Upper body for the paddle out. You need strong thighs and calfs for the actual surfing part.
Surfing in SF in the winter is not for wussies...the paddle out can take you an hour on a bad day. That's an hour of getting pounded while being on a virtual water-paddle-treadmill. If it's really cold your head gets all tingly and hurts. When it's cold it also eats up your oxygen faster so being a strong swimmer helps when you need those extra reserves to get yourself out of bad situations. I was out on a big day @ Sloat in SF and my leash snapped. Board went sailing towards shore and it was breaking pretty far out so it made for a long swim in large conditions. I was honestly pretty scared by the time I got back to dry land and totally exhausted. Also, I was in the best shape of my life at that point.
Depending on where you surf in LA big waves won't be that big of a problem as most of the time it's pretty small. Biggest problem in LA are the crowds...summer or fall. If you get into it and start going for larger waves you'll need to really work on endurance but you'll figgure that out pretty quick on your own.
Push ups help if you can't get out enough to train.
Good luck!

Save the ta-ta's
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #21
m_asim
Coitus Infinitum

Contributor

Motorcycles: Stephanie (she is a Kawasaki)
Name:
I was thinking of surfing at the cove next to Malibu pier since it is on the way to work and is frequented by newbie surfers and the waves are pretty mellow. You are right about the crowding though since that place is chock full of people -- but then again everyplace is crowded in SoCal.

Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.
m_asim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #22
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
ohhhhhh, Malibu...ok, that shit about locals is totally true there. It's where I learned to surf and It wasn't at surfrider beach, that's for sure. It's the equal to going out in a group, M_asim...try westward/ broad beach for learning. No one's around, the break is easy and at Westward, there's lifegaurds.

Much better for learning is having lifegaurds...the tides can be a problem. The locals...they ARE a problem. Don't ask about the run ins we had with them...
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:23 AM   #23
Rambeezi
Live Aloha

Founding Member

Motorcycles: 1990 FZR600 (R.I.P. 90-96), 1994 CBR900RR, 2000 Red/Blue R6 (Track only), 2002 R1
Name: Ramberto
Quote:
Originally posted by brichter
coughPussay!cough

That's what a 4/3 is for!
Not the first time a Cali-boy called me that when I talk about Nor Cali waters. But grow up in 75/80 degree water all your life and then trying to handle 55/60 degree water....shoot...I'm getting chills just typing this and thinking about it!

I definitely used wetsuits when I first tried surfing here but they are so cumbersome and thick! It just didn't feel comfortable and the water still comes in the collar!! Brrrrrrrrr!!! Maybe if I kept at it I would've acclimate to the water temperature...I just never did.

Hmmmmm...my cousin tells me the summer swells are starting to hit the islands. I should go home for a week or so and shred it up....in shorts.....only!!

, rice, and eggs!
Rambeezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #24
brichter
Spun out freakshow

Quote:
Originally posted by Rambeezi

Hmmmmm...my cousin tells me the summer swells are starting to hit the islands. I should go home for a week or so and shred it up....in shorts.....only!!
Nahh...You should go home and rip it up in January on the North Shore in 75 degree water... in shorts and a t-shirt- only... ya bastige!

And you can take one extra-big suitcase with you... with me in it!

Quote:
Old 06-16-2005, 07:29 PM   #25
Max Smiley
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: gas pedal or premix only
Name:
just make it surf kine shorts not just b-v-d's eh!

summer swells
makes me feel fine
blowing tru da jazmine trias
in my miiiiinnnndddd

for all our fallen riders

Ride um if you got um
Max Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:42 PM   #26
Beauregard
Aut Agere Aut Mori

Contributor +++ 1%
1%

Location: Thereís a corner of my heart that is yours. And I donít mean for now, or until Iíve found somebody else, I mean forever. I mean that whether I fall in love a thousand times over or once or never again, thereíll always be a part that belongs to you.
Motorcycles: elude me.
Name: Guess....
I can stand up. PM me.
Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #27
Volcomism
Robocawk

The Apprentice
Contributor + BB +

Motorcycles: 06' Ducati 749R, Honda Vario 110 & Tiger 200
Name: Anthony

I'm just stoked. It'll be my first time out at Steamers Lane tomorrow! and the Mavericks Contest might be next week!!
Volcomism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #28
Dubbington
Slamdunk Champion

Contributor

Motorcycles: EX Street Triple ;(
Name: Dubs
Picked it up in Santa Barbara during college and have gone a few time since in Santa Cruz.

My suggestion would be to know whats beneath you as in the ocean floor. Santa Barbara I was spoiled as its sand nearly year round. During the winter a few feet of sand washes away and exposes rock but I was I decent enough then.

I'm 5'7 and used a thick 9'0 then switched to a thinner faster 9'0. Up here your going to want a thick 5/4 maybe a 5/5/4 wetsuit with hoodie cuz you'll be eating it a lot.

I'm not the best swimmer but I could hang. Sure did get me stronger and defined in the shoulders.

I need to go soon....whats Santa Cruz (cowells) like this time of year?

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Quote:
Barack Obama ain't taking my shotguns, so don't buy that malarkey. Ö I've got two, if he tries to fool with my Beretta, he's got a problem. -Biden
Dubbington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #29
CockyRooster
Grab the Transmogrifier!

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: '08 ZX10, XR650L Baja King! And a CRF230 if I'm quick about it;)
Name:
Investing in a good suit goes a long way towards you're enjoyment. I just bought an Oneil suit with super stretchy shoulders. Almost good as naked Cheap suits waste tremendous amounts of precious energy. My last three suits I bought on Ebay for half price of new.

AFM #378

------------------------------------------------------
CockyRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #30
Volcomism
Robocawk

The Apprentice
Contributor + BB +

Motorcycles: 06' Ducati 749R, Honda Vario 110 & Tiger 200
Name: Anthony
I'm running a 5/4/3 suit right now. It's stretchy enough, but as soon as I switch to a funboard I'll be looking to get another flexible 4/3 from Hotline.

Cowell's is crap right now.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/...lifornia_4189/
Volcomism is offline   Reply With Quote