Old 12-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #16
Ironbutt
Loves the anecdotal

AMA #: 2880504
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yamasaki
Name:
Oh great beermeister...

Yeah.. we've had short arguments about the contaminants in the ice and I swear I can taste it but the beers still pretty damned good.

Although... the past success are shadowed by our iodine cleaner contamination of the last batch.. yuck! I can still taste it.. That's where we left off..

We were buzzed; Tory was siphoning the beer into the bottles for bubbling.. and instead of filling the bottles she just kept the hose in her mouth and kept drinking.. Then she looks up at me and says.. "I got a buzz" this beer is great! so I get to siphoning too.. then we forgot to rinse the 1 gallon jugs out really well.. ugggghhh... The bottles were okay.. the jugs we dumped down the drain..

I'd like to make a pilsner this next time.. Do you have suggestions? I usually buy the kits from 'more beer'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakemate View Post
No, but I might stop by if this happens......

I think I could stay sober enough to do this!

The only problem I would have with dumping ice is the content of chemicals, like chlorine, that could be in the ice. I use to boil a bunch of water ahead of time and refrigerate it. Now, I'm lazy and buy distilled water to chill. Well, that and the chiller.

With kegs, you can drink right after fermentation. When you prime and cask, (or prime and bottle), you are letting the yeasties have a second, light meal. In a sealed container, the CO2 has no where to go but into the liquid. That's how it carbonates.

If you don't prime your brew at kegging, you force carbonate. There are a lot of ways to do it. I drop 40 or so psi on the tank and refrigerate. I check it every day and refill for a few days. At the 4 day mark, (or later), I purge, hook up, and drink.

I've had to force carbonate a number of kegs lately. Apparently I have leaky poppets. My kegs have been leaking gas. I've had no problem getting them bubbly. Although, some headspace in the kegs seems to allow the beer to carbonate more quickly.

As far as filtration.......

Say you are going to cask condition. You prime your keg and age it. You may even have a tea bag of hops in the cask. After the few weeks or so of conditioning, you can filter.

Clean a keg, purge all the air with co2. Hook your beer to co2 as normal. On the out, you put a wine filter and valve. Hook the filters other end to the out on the clean keg. You can control the flow with the lid vent on the clean keg.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #17
Jakemate
Pastafarian Minister

BB6 Slow Race Winner
Barf Roadside Angel
Contributor

Motorcycles: The kind that roll me to the noodle house.
Name: Reverend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbutt View Post
"I got a buzz" this beer is great! so I get to siphoning too.....

Ah, the hazards of home-brewing!!!!!

I usually buy ingredients for a certain recipe. Although, I do pick up specialty ingredient kits on occasion.

There are many recipes out there for different pilsners. The problem comes with fermentation. You really need to keep your swill below 55 degrees while it ferments. You also need to make sure you rack the wort off of the trub more than the rack from primary to secondary. Once or twice more, in my experience.

If you don't rack and keep everything VERY sanitized, you develop off flavors.

If you have a certain pilsner in mind, let me know. I probably have a recipe you can follow.

- George Carlin (1937-2008)
Jakemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #18
spddrcr
NEED DECALS? PM ME!!!!

Founding Member

Motorcycles: 04 1000rr
Name: it depends
actually i do have a system for making beer drinkable a day or two after it's done fermenting, I just turn up the c02 bottle thats in the kegerator wayyyyy high and it gets the job done
Old 12-29-2008, 12:03 AM   #19
PhoS
[ˈfäs]

Contributor

Motorcycles: are tasty.
Name:
We just keg it , and pump in C02 while rolling the keg around for 20 minutes and that usually does it for a quickie.
PhoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #20
dwarf
Super StreetFighter

Seasoned Squid
Contributor

Motorcycles: Beauty & The Beast
Name: Chun-Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by spddrcr View Post
ok guys and gals, Ive decided to brew more beer after my 2 year hiatus from brewing and at the request of my wife and friends so im thinking what better way to to get back into it then by having a big brewday/techday at my house on the first day of the new year

anyone interested in coming out to concord to brew? I have multiple equipment setups for doing extract and 1 setup for partial brewing. I also have just about every known tool for fixing bikes.

does this sound like a good idea or am i crazy?
I don't know how to, but would love to watch.. and use your tools to work on my bike
dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #21
Jakemate
Pastafarian Minister

BB6 Slow Race Winner
Barf Roadside Angel
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spddrcr View Post
actually i do have a system for making beer drinkable a day or two after it's done fermenting, I just turn up the c02 bottle thats in the kegerator wayyyyy high and it gets the job done
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
We just keg it , and pump in C02 while rolling the keg around for 20 minutes and that usually does it for a quickie.

Just like socks, both those methods would work!

I find that the beer will take more gas as the temperature lowers.

I still prefer to age the beer for a while, though. I think that the taste improves with a couple-three weeks.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #22
2nsane
WILD CARD

Contributor + BB

Motorcycles: 2006 CRF 525 BB Stroker
Name: Danno
any one have a Carboy they want to get rid of?

Goldmember of the Barf Chapter of the Ancient Order of TrustyGOLDEN Shellbacks
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government
2nsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:57 PM   #23
spddrcr
NEED DECALS? PM ME!!!!

Founding Member

Motorcycles: 04 1000rr
Name: it depends
POSTPONED!!!!!

it turns out it's not going to happen tommarow, my mom in georgia had a heart attack last night and it turns out it was worse then the family was saying, so off i go to find a ticket to georgia

maybe i can get things settled down and do it next weekend or the weekend after

Last edited by spddrcr; 12-31-2008 at 08:42 PM..
spddrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #24
Jakemate
Pastafarian Minister

BB6 Slow Race Winner
Barf Roadside Angel
Contributor

Woah, that sucks!

Sending good thoughts your way!

There's no hurry, there's still ingredients on the store shelves! I'll see if I can do some editing and pictures to clarify the first posts today. There is some stuff missing that I should have in there.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #25
Ozymandias
Veteran

Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: '78 Suzuki GS550, '09 BMW R1200GS Adventure, '09 R6 Race, 2015 RSV4 Factory
Name: Paul
oooooh home brew thread! subscribed!

I've got a batch of scotch ale in the kegs right now myself I soooooo need a kegerator though.

spddrcr, hope your mom's OK
AFM #331

Dunlop Tires - Woodcraft accessories - Yoshimura - MotoGloss - Oxymoron Photography

Undisputed Heavy Weight Champion... if it's undisputed, WHAT'S ALL THE FIGHTING ABOUT?!? - George Carlin

Learn why wearing gear is so important, check out my story here.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #26
Jakemate
Pastafarian Minister

BB6 Slow Race Winner
Barf Roadside Angel
Contributor

^ Lemme see if Junebuggy still has the plans for the one he put together. it was pretty inexpensive and holds 2 kegs + gas.

Old 01-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #27
dsapsis
peripatetic penguin

Motorcycles: blue/yellow
Name:
Jakemate, and others;
Make your way to an AFM race weekend and look me up on Sat. night. I typically have a keg (or two) of homebrew, and can talk more beer than you would want to.

--dave sapsis
Old 01-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #28
Ozymandias
Veteran

Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: '78 Suzuki GS550, '09 BMW R1200GS Adventure, '09 R6 Race, 2015 RSV4 Factory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakemate View Post
^ Lemme see if Junebuggy still has the plans for the one he put together. it was pretty inexpensive and holds 2 kegs + gas.
Putting one together isn't the problem so much as finding the right fridge. I've got one of those mini fridges at my office that I'm going to bring home on Saturday but it will only hold mini kegs (2.5 gallon) which is OK for now since that's all I have but I'd like to get a mid sized that I can put 2 (really I'd like to fit 4 but...) full size kegs in with a 20lbs cyl.
AFM #331

Dunlop Tires - Woodcraft accessories - Yoshimura - MotoGloss - Oxymoron Photography

Undisputed Heavy Weight Champion... if it's undisputed, WHAT'S ALL THE FIGHTING ABOUT?!? - George Carlin

Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #29
Jakemate
Pastafarian Minister

BB6 Slow Race Winner
Barf Roadside Angel
Contributor

I believe Junebuggy used the sanyo 4912 seen here.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/vi...o-4912-251195/

But he didn't use a top on it.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #30
Ozymandias
Veteran

Contributor +++ 1%

That would be a much better unit than the one I have at my office. Thanks for the info
AFM #331