BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Non Moto Activities

Old 05-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #61
jrbruin
Veteran

Motorcycles: '06 sv650s, ktm 520 'tard
Name: Jason
I could use at least one, I have a 15 gallon stainless kettle so if I could get two kegs I'd have a full setup that can do 10 gallons. Right now I can manage 10 gallons, but I have to refill my HLT about 3 times and the 10 gallon cooler can barely handle the load of grain needed for 10 gallons - especially if it's a stronger beer. 25lbs of grain is about where it starts getting hard to fit grains + water and still be able to stir.

I stopped brewing w/ extract after my second batch (about 4 years ago). It was probably a number of factors, but my third batch was my first all-grain and really made the first two batches seem like amateur hour tastewise. So I stuck with what works and only do all-grain. Sure it's more work, but if you're gonna have to wait a month to drink it, what's a couple extra hours prep?

I'm not saying great beer can't be brewed w/ extract, because I know it can - just that I've never brewed an exceptional extract batch so I stick with what works.

Last edited by jrbruin; 05-10-2009 at 03:02 PM..
jrbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #62
Jakemate
Pastafarian Minister

BB6 Slow Race Winner
Barf Roadside Angel
Contributor

Motorcycles: The kind that roll me to the noodle house.
Name: Reverend
The recipe's and ingredients for extractfrom Brewmaster and Oakbarrel both turn out outstanding brews. But, when you tweak a grain recipe to exactly what you want, you get something very special.

I don't even wait to drink it anymore. After fermentation, I'm tossing it in the kegs and force carbonating. Makes it easier when I'm slacking on my beer making.

- George Carlin (1937-2008)
Jakemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #63
jrbruin
Veteran

I know about not waiting.. Since I brewed yesterday I needed to clear up one of my 6.5 gallon carboys, so I sampled the IPA that I brewed last weekend. The gravity was done, so I racked it straight to the keg. I didn't put it on tap yet, but it tasted pretty good straight outta the carboy. I'll wait a week and then put it on tap. Sure it'll be a little cloudy, but it'll clear pretty fast once it's in a cold kegerator right?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #64
Jakemate
Pastafarian Minister

BB6 Slow Race Winner
Barf Roadside Angel
Contributor

Sure, the cold gets rid of cloudyness.

But then, if the product is good, who cares!!!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #65
PhoS
[ˈfäs]

Contributor

Motorcycles: are tasty.
Name:
One of my buddies busted out some finished 24% barley wine we made a while back. That shit was brutal, felt sorry for the guys who poured large glasses of it without knowing

Are you guys on HBT?

Last edited by PhoS; 05-11-2009 at 09:57 AM..
PhoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #66
jrbruin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoS View Post
One of my buddies busted out some finished 24% barley wine we made a while back. That shit was brutal, felt sorry for the guys who poured large glasses of it without knowing

Are you guys on HBT?
I was on realbeer, but it's too slow now so I joined HBT last week. My screen name there is bruin_ale.

24%! Was it distilled at all? What yeast did you use to get the alchohol that high?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #67
PhoS
[ˈfäs]

Contributor

Motorcycles: are tasty.
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbruin View Post
I was on realbeer, but it's too slow now so I joined HBT last week. My screen name there is bruin_ale.

24%! Was it distilled at all? What yeast did you use to get the alchohol that high?
wlp099, im not active on HBT myself but my roommate is "deathbrewer"

Last edited by PhoS; 05-11-2009 at 11:56 AM..
PhoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #68
dsapsis
peripatetic penguin

Motorcycles: blue/yellow
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakemate View Post
Sure, the cold gets rid of cloudyness.

And sometimes the opposite. chill haze is from polyphenol/protein colloids that comes out at lower temps. Often associated with poor cold-break formation, hence the oft-cited recommendation for rapid chilling of bitter wort and good trub separation. Lagering (cold aging) can improve it, as can some post-ferment fining agents (e.g., Daraclar).
--dave
Old 05-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #69
Jakemate
Pastafarian Minister

BB6 Slow Race Winner
Barf Roadside Angel
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsapsis View Post
And sometimes the opposite. chill haze is from polyphenol/protein colloids that comes out at lower temps. Often associated with poor cold-break formation, hence the oft-cited recommendation for rapid chilling of bitter wort and good trub separation. Lagering (cold aging) can improve it, as can some post-ferment fining agents (e.g., Daraclar).
--dave

Sometimes. My usual beers seem to clear pretty well after they're chilled.

Of course, then again, as long as it tastes good; the look is my last concern!

I need to make some beer this weekend. I'm not sure if I'm going to be lazy, or go all grain. I've been lazy the last time or two. Probably time to do a real batch.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #70
dsapsis
peripatetic penguin

Motorcycles: blue/yellow
Name:
My comments were about remedial treatments for a particular type of haze; obviously bright beer (with few exceptions like Wits which are meant to be hazy) is desirable, and good techniques at the front end are always the best course. Hard boil, kettle fining and quick chill all do great things for break formation and removal, which in addition to aiding beer clarity, also work in your favor for yeast nutrition.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #71
Jakemate
Pastafarian Minister

BB6 Slow Race Winner
Barf Roadside Angel
Contributor

Gotcha....

So, when are we going to plan a BARF brew day?

Old 07-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #72
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Contributor ++++++

Motorcycles: Dino and electron. Street and dirt.
Name: Aaron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakemate View Post
Gotcha....

So, when are we going to plan a BARF brew day?
Hey, I just stumbled across this thread (via Jakemate's sig file) and would like to introduce myself. I've only been on BARF a short while, but have met some very interesting folks here. I've been brewing for about 15 years, and have a very nice custom built (by me) brew rig at home for 20 gallon all-grain brewing. I force carb most of what I make in cornies, like most of you do. I do some bottle conditioning for belgians, barley wines, etc. Currently, I have 7 taps at home: 5 standard taps, 1 stout tap (with nitro setup), and one beer pump for english ales.

My big thing each year is Laguna Seca. Unfortunately, it tends to wipe out much of my inventory, so I only have about 20 gallons or so on hand right now. I need to crank out some more beer in the very near future. If anyone wants to come brew with me in Pacifica, you are more than welcome. Otherwise, I would love to get together with the BARF brewers and share beer some time.

Ciao,
Aaron
Old 07-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #73
jrbruin
Veteran

Sounds like an awesome setup Aaron! I'd love to see it sometime... I'm slowly trying to put together a new rig of my own, but too much going on lately.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:55 AM   #74
Ozymandias
Veteran

Contributor +++ 1%

Motorcycles: '78 Suzuki GS550, '09 BMW R1200GS Adventure, '09 R6 Race, 2015 RSV4 Factory
Name: Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbruin View Post
Sounds like an awesome setup Aaron! I'd love to see it sometime... I'm slowly trying to put together a new rig of my own, but too much going on lately.
I'm with ya. I was broke for many years and just got by with what I had. I'm finally starting my upgrade process now. I'm kind of torn if I want to switch to 10 gallon batches or if I want to stay with just 5 at a time though. I can get a 12.2 gallon kettle and that won't be an issue but when you start looking at the conical fermenters that are temp controlled that's a $3-400 difference. I'm so torn!
AFM #331

Dunlop Tires - Woodcraft accessories - Yoshimura - MotoGloss - Oxymoron Photography

Undisputed Heavy Weight Champion... if it's undisputed, WHAT'S ALL THE FIGHTING ABOUT?!? - George Carlin

Learn why wearing gear is so important, check out my story here.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #75
jrbruin
Veteran

12.2 gallons isn't nearly enough to brew 10 gallons. You really want at least a 15 gallon kettle to brew a 10 gallon batch. I have a 10 gallon capacity on my system with a 15 gallon kettle - you have to consider that you probably want at least 11 gallons post boil so that you actually get 5-5.5 gallons into primary - add in the extra gallon or more for what you boil off over an hour and then some extra space to prevent boil overs and 15 gallons is about the bare minimum you can get by with for 10 gallon batches.