Notices

Old 09-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #1501
Raider
yeap...

Motorcycles: Yamaha Kawasaki
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962siia88 View Post
Ouch broken knee is the suck! Sorry that happend! Oct 1 is comin' up!
Carnegie got me

I was trying so hard to wolverine my knee and get back out before red sticker ended, but couldn't do it... At least I've been able to take the TTR out a few times over the summer to stay active and get some strength back...
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:43 PM   #1502
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna FE350, TE300, a vintage CR390, Honda ST1100
Name: CJ
As everyone else going to Moab seems to be throwing in new top ends in their two strokes..... I decided I wasnt going to be left out of the party!

Had to include a picture of the open engine and dirty frame to make Lunchbox feel better...... and I am fully prepared to hear from twostrokeyardsale about the errors of my ways (and he'd be right).

Just under a 100 hours on this top end. Not too bad looking IMO. I'm no expert, but nothing jumped out and surprised me when I opened it up. Pretty bad carbon build up.... expected as I tend to lug the bike in a gear or two higher and rarely get more than 1/2 of the throttle opened up. Yep, I am that fast....errr... cough slow.

Interesting that sides of the piston experienced more wear/blow by than either the front or rear. But no damage, gouges, cracks etc in the cylinder. I suspect in another 100 hours it will be time for new plating. I considered throwing new rings in at 50 hours, but compression hadnt really dropped significantly. Again, I ride like the old man i am.

What do the two stroke reading experts have for insight into my future reading this piston.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3331.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	486069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3328.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	486070   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3332.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	486071   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3337.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	486072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3339.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	486073  

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:49 PM   #1503
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Contributor ++++++

Motorcycles: Dino and electron. Street and dirt.
Name: Aaron
Hey now! My engine was nice and clean, unlike that filthy thing in your pic.
That is some serious carbon build up on the head. Wow. Mine looked damned near brand new. My piston looked about like yours, but I have no clue how many hours were on that top end, as it didn't have an hour meter when I bought it. I can tell you that the compression is definitely better with the new thimble and rings. I am hoping to get out for a spin on it on Saturday, as long as my forks and shock are done in time. Suspension work is something I have never enjoyed, so I choose to pull off the components and take them in for servicing. If I were unemployed, I would begrudgingly do the freshening-up work myself.

I mounted a new rear tire (front is fine) and will take a pic when I get the boingy bits back and the bike back together (hoping for Friday).
Old 09-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #1504
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna FE350, TE300, a vintage CR390, Honda ST1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch Box View Post
Hey now! My engine was nice and clean, unlike that filthy thing in your pic.
That is some serious carbon build up on the head. Wow. Mine looked damned near brand new. My piston looked about like yours, but I have no clue how many hours were on that top end, as it didn't have an hour meter when I bought it. I can tell you that the compression is definitely better with the new thimble and rings. I am hoping to get out for a spin on it on Saturday, as long as my forks and shock are done in time. Suspension work is something I have never enjoyed, so I choose to pull off the components and take them in for servicing. If I were unemployed, I would begrudgingly do the freshening-up work myself.

I mounted a new rear tire (front is fine) and will take a pic when I get the boingy bits back and the bike back together (hoping for Friday).
Like I said.... my dirty bike will make you feel better and direct twostrokeyardsales ire in my direction.

I think the head should clean up nice tomorrow am. We shall see. It was pretty oily, but I spent two days putting around with a friend who just had back surgery and wanting ride uber conservatively their first days back in the saddle. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AAAAAAB

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

Old 09-20-2016, 06:07 AM   #1505
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Contributor ++++++

Moab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait. Funny, I bumped into Fred on Sunday. He and his lovely lady had just finished the Half Moon Bay Half Marathon and I was near the finish line, waiting for my wifey to finish.

Once I get my suspension back on and the bike buttoned-up, it should be just about good to go. I'm going to ride it this weekend (assuming I have it back together) and will change the case oil before the trip. I wanted to get a day of riding on it before dropping the oil, just to make sure I'm not seeing any metal shavings, etc.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:49 AM   #1506
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Oil change and wash down on the TTR-125
Oil change, new rear tire tube, new chain on the TTR-50
Oil and filter change, radiator flush, new ignition cover, new grips and wash down on the KX-250F

Also it was the first time starting up the KX since I broke my knee back in March.... the feels.

Can't wait for red season to start.
Green sticker'd here
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #1507
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
Another dirty bike opened up!

I'm going to have to bring my power washer.

Actually I can bring a 50 hour OEM YZ piston and new gasket set. Not sure if I have rings, though.

Your piston looks like it it was blowing by the rings, which probably should have been replaced earlier. That's why my new schedule is rings at 50h, piston/rings at 100h, repeat. Dark piston top doesn't mean anything for a trail bike; you aren't doing roadrace main jet throttle chops. The important thing is that you can get 100h and your jetting is good for you.

Here was my OEM 50h piston. I guess it had some blow-by, too.

Last edited by 2strokeYardSale; 09-20-2016 at 07:33 PM..
2strokeYardSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #1508
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Contributor ++++++

Power washer? That is one thing I avoid on my bikes.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:11 PM   #1509
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: xr100 350exc-f Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC
Name: Daniel
So my power valve isn't operating properly and my guess that I missed a washer on the governor was correct. I had to take off the right side engine cover to inspect the governor assembly and while I was there I measured all the clutch parts. New clutch discs plates and springs getting ordered with the missing washer. Running out of time but should be able to get it all together in time.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #1510
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokeYardSale View Post
Another dirty bike opened up!

I'm going to have to bring my power washer.
I actually have a power washer and had no excuse for opening it up dirty... just lazy and decided when in the shop I needed to git er dun. Thought of you the whole time!

Quote:
Actually I can bring a 50 hour OEM YZ piston and new gasket set. Not sure if I have rings, though.
I have rings, gaskets, seals etc etc sets too... dont think I'll bring them with a fresh top end though. Kinda overkill and like 1962siia bringing a three foot machinist file to Baja two years ago. I will be bringing a fresh clutch pack, levers, cables, and tubes. Or perhaps we combine our stores to make a YZ250 only support parts bin.

Quote:
Your piston looks like it it was blowing by the rings, which probably should have been replaced earlier. That's why my new schedule is rings at 50h, piston/rings at 100h, repeat. Dark piston top doesn't mean anything for a trail bike; you aren't doing roadrace main jet throttle chops. The important thing is that you can get 100h and your jetting is good for you.
Agree. That is my normal schedule, however this time the compression hadnt dropped at all at 50 hrs and the leakdown result was tight/perfect. It is good to know that my set up combined with riding style is good for a easy/safe 100hrs. Not optimal performance but safe.

Quote:
Here was my OEM 50h piston. I guess it had some blow-by, too.

Looks similar to my 100hr piston. I was surprised by the blow by on the sides of my piston and nearly none on the front or back. I though when cylinders started to oval it was front to back, not side to side. I suspect that some minor cylinder ovalling is the cause of this blow by on my piston. Cylinder perfectly useable now, but will obviously consider replating down the road as I can visibly see more wear on the cylinder side to side too.

MOOOOOOOOOO ab

Last edited by OaklandF4i; 09-21-2016 at 09:55 AM..
Old 09-21-2016, 07:02 PM   #1511
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
We need to compare jetting notes. BTW Moab trails are 4K to 8K feet if I recall.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #1512
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: XR-400 (plated), KTM 525 (Plated), KTM 990 Adventure, Husky TE300, R1150RT
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandF4i View Post
I actually have a power washer and had no excuse for opening it up dirty... just lazy and decided when in the shop I needed to git er dun. Thought of you the whole time!

I have rings, gaskets, seals etc etc sets too... dont think I'll bring them with a fresh top end though. Kinda overkill and like 1962siia bringing a three foot machinist file to Baja two years ago. I will be bringing a fresh clutch pack, levers, cables, and tubes. Or perhaps we combine our stores to make a YZ250 only support parts bin.

Agree. That is my normal schedule, however this time the compression hadnt dropped at all at 50 hrs and the leakdown result was tight/perfect. It is good to know that my set up combined with riding style is good for a easy/safe 100hrs. Not optimal performance but safe.

Looks similar to my 100hr piston. I was surprised by the blow by on the sides of my piston and nearly none on the front or back. I though when cylinders started to oval it was front to back, not side to side. I suspect that some minor cylinder ovalling is the cause of this blow by on my piston. Cylinder perfectly useable now, but will obviously consider replating down the road as I can visibly see more wear on the cylinder side to side too.

MOOOOOOOOOO ab
I believe the front and back are clean because those are the areas that rub on the cylinder walls the most. It looked pretty good to me.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:57 AM   #1513
1962siia
Veteran

Motorcycles: xr100 350exc-f Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC
Got the missing washer for the pv governor and installed it. Removed the left fork tube and tore it down. It was super clean inside, I almost drank the fork fluid it looked so good. The guide bushing was the only thing that showed any wear and tear. Replaced the bushings and seals and plan to reassemble today after work and then do the other fork. First time completely tearing down a fork. Pretty straight forward with the correct tools. MOAB!!!!
Old 09-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #1514
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Contributor ++++++

Nice, Daniel!

I took the KDX out for a very brief shakedown run. I had intended to ride more, but the day simply didn't allow for it. The bike performed great, though.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #1515
1962siia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch Box View Post
Nice, Daniel!

I took the KDX out for a very brief shakedown run. I had intended to ride more, but the day simply didn't allow for it. The bike performed great, though.

Sweet! What tire is that on the rear, Motoz?