BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Notices

Old 05-30-2015, 03:19 PM   #751
BEN-ZX-14
Veteran

Motorcycles: '13 triumph 1200 explorer, '14 KTM 350 XCF
Name: Ben
No pictures yet, but flogged it for 3 hours at the Golden Spike Hare Scramble in Packwood Washington.

Epic street section.
BEN-ZX-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:29 PM   #752
Saltwater
Back by popular demand

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Beta 500 CR250R CRF50
Name: Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrito View Post
Was there any sand riding on your night ride?
I wish! The bike ran flawlessly but needs a rear tire.
Saltwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:45 PM   #753
MarcovHawk
It is all rubbish...

Contributor

Motorcycles: A few...
Name: Marcovich
Finished rebuilding my 2000 CR125! Fresh new cylinder, new crank, new piston, all new gaskets, bearings and water pump rebuild, new tires, fresh rebuilt forks and solid bath! She is up for sale as I need more room in the garage for a different toy!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:17 AM   #754
TrackCage
Yellow Suit Hooligan

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda, Kawasaki
Name: Josh
Replaced two sprocket bolts as they had broken loose and fell off while at Hollister yesterday. Swore I used locktite.... maybe not?
TrackCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #755
2strokeYardSale
Moab on my mind

Contributor +

Motorcycles: shouldn't have cams!
Name: Yard Sale
Some things you can't just use loctite, you have to fastidiously clean and dry both fasteners, don't touch them with your fingers, use the correct compound loctite, then perform the ritual incantations.

I put a catch tank on the exhaust valve vent hose of the KX295 spooge monster.
2strokeYardSale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #756
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: gas
Name: penorface
Rode Foresthill trail 6 out to the Western States Trail on Saturday and had an awesome time, except I wish I had lower gearing as my clutch received a major workout. Has anyone ridden the WST before? We made it to the abandoned cabin and then went out the dirt road until it came to a tee and turned around. Anyone know how far you can go on a motorbike? Can you go all the way to Squaw, or are bikes not allowed somewhere before that? Would definitely make for a killer hardcore barf dirty ride.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:20 PM   #757
johnnymac
Rookie

Motorcycles: KTM350
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by byke View Post
Rode Foresthill trail 6 out to the Western States Trail on Saturday and had an awesome time, except I wish I had lower gearing as my clutch received a major workout. Has anyone ridden the WST before? We made it to the abandoned cabin and then went out the dirt road until it came to a tee and turned around. Anyone know how far you can go on a motorbike? Can you go all the way to Squaw, or are bikes not allowed somewhere before that? Would definitely make for a killer hardcore barf dirty ride.
Any chance you were a 2 KTM team leaving around 12pm? I was just heading out...

If so, wondering how difficult you found trail 6...(I think you said you were heading counter-clockwise).

Last edited by johnnymac; 06-02-2015 at 08:21 PM..
johnnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #758
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

I was on a white crf450 and my buddy was on a klx300, but we did see two ktm dudes on smokers at the staging area in the morning. Later we came up on a 4-man ktm crew out of truckee.

For this trip we went clockwise just because that gets you to the western states trail faster, otherwise I think I prefer to go counter clockwise, especially in the summer so you're not up on that exposed ridge at the end of the ride trying to get up those crummy rocks. Trail 6 in general would just be an intermediate trail if not for a few sections. If going clockwise, I think the only hard part is the previously mentioned rocky ridge section. If going counter-clockwise, I think the only hard parts are the rocky climb out of the first bridge (which can actually be really easy if you manage to get on top in the middle) and the switchbacks that I think are after the second bridge. On trail 6, I think you can get by with less skill if you simply have good energy and don't mind lifting your bike. It's the beginner/intermediate guys who are beat after 25 miles that will have a bad day, imo.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #759
rt rider
Veteran

AMA #3258546
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2017 KTM 300XC
Name: Jeremiah
In the past I have staged to started on the WST, ride all of trail 6 and then back out the WST to the truck. It is a great ride! The only issue we have had is the time they were having a trail run and there was about 100 people on it as we were making our way over to trail 6. We just went really slow and gave the right of way to the runners. Not a lot of the runners were aware that portions of the WST are designated for OHV.

I agree with Byke's assessment of trail 6 difficulty. I personally find some of the trails at Stoney much harder.

Over the weekend I mounted some new rubber on the KTM and started breaking down a Cannondale x440s to part out.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #760
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Where do you stage for the WST? Somewhere around Michigan Bluff? I'd like to stage some gas at Lyon Peak, which I think is the end of the motorbike section, and then ride from China Wall to Lyon Peak and back. Would be about 80-90mi, which I've never come close to before on a dirt ride.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #761
1962siia
Veteran

AMA #: 424261
Contributor + + + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: xr100 350exc-f Aermacchi/HD Sprint 250ss 950 ADV 200xcw C&J XL350 T100SC
Name: Daniel
Spent several hours at the dmv getting the untitled trials bike titled and registered. Took a while but got out with my green sticker! Woot!
Old 06-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #762
rt rider
Veteran

AMA #3258546
Contributor

Yes Michigan Bluff, I would be interested in riding the entire section. I have only gone as far as the water pump which is not that far past trail 6.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:19 PM   #763
SM610
Veteran

Motorcycles: TTR 125 L, 08 WR250F, CRF230, CRF150F the little bikes are starting to pile up...
Name:
Today I moved some stuff around in the garage, as it is transitioning into a proper bike work area. This week I'll set up the lift.

Then I sat next to my bike and had to explain to it that the wife took the truck and we couldn't go for a spin today. So I used up that energy detailing what should have been getting dirtier.

I aspire to be the person that my dog thinks I am.
(Rest in peace my sweet girl Paioli 1/21/13)
(And Fossil, Paioli's pal 4/6/17)
(RIP Gracie my love 1/2/21)
SM610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:43 PM   #764
byke
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt rider View Post
Yes Michigan Bluff, I would be interested in riding the entire section. I have only gone as far as the water pump which is not that far past trail 6.
I would too! I get 50mi per tank at the absolute max, so that might be pushing it a bit, but could probably swing it if I coasted all the downhills. Wanna set something up? I can maybe head up sometime during the week and stage us a couple gas cans? Perhaps week after next? I wanna do that Rubicon trip on Wednesday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM610 View Post
Today I moved some stuff around in the garage, as it is transitioning into a proper bike work area. This week I'll set up the lift.

Then I sat next to my bike and had to explain to it that the wife took the truck and we couldn't go for a spin today. So I used up that energy detailing what should have been getting dirtier.
Mace Mill tomorrow at 9am, make it happen.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #765
rt rider
Veteran

AMA #3258546
Contributor

I get a similar range on my tank. If it is just going to be the WST then it should be a fairly easy ride. Let me take a look at the calendar and I'll pm you to set something up.

You should definitely post up a ride report for the Rubicon.

Last edited by rt rider; 06-05-2015 at 04:56 PM..
rt rider is offline   Reply With Quote