Old 01-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #1456
Kornholio
:wave

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Motorcycles: Goldilocks
Name: Jason
Inquiring minds want to know...

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

I forgot that Yelp is a weapon for dumb people. -Stewie Griffin
Kornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 02:15 PM   #1457
CABilly
Splitter

Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: R5 350
Name: Billy
So my guitar remains on backorder. There are some floor models available at GC stores but I don't want to pay full price for an open box model. What would you guys do? Take the "like new" condition floor models with old strings or stay on the backorder list for who knows how long?
Old 01-16-2021, 03:55 PM   #1458
poach
seeking balance

Motorcycles: Moto what???
Name:
Stay on back order with whomever youíre currently dealing with imo. Grab a cheapo in the interim. I have an $80 nylon string Chinese glue box I grab all the time. The important thing is to get your hands on the wood asap. If you know what I mean...

Long term? If you think youíll be buying mostly retail, take the time to build a relationship with a GC associate. He/she is likely a local musician and would appreciate the support. Maybe enough to give you 20% off all your future purchases.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:46 AM   #1459
poach
seeking balance

Name:
I've been trying to improve my melody/solo phrasing by being more mindful of the progression I'm playing over. "Playing" the changes" instead of just blasting a pattern over it. So I came up with this progression with a few twists in it to keep me on my toes. I might even use this as an intro someday, maybe even expand it into a whole piece.

ZM8>Scarlett2i2>Neural Abassi>Reaper

https://soundcloud.com/user-717973884/resolved3

My phrasing is still garbage at the moment, so it might be awhile before I post a finished piece.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:32 PM   #1460
Kornholio

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Jeff, relevant to your recent interests...

youtu.be/KKuZUCCvQfg

Being a bit of a dick is one thing. Being an ever-enduring cocksicle is another. -Hundo

Old 01-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #1461
poach
seeking balance

Name:
How many hours(minutes?) per day do you practice? Create? Just noodle?

If not on the daily, then how many per week?
Old 01-23-2021, 10:15 AM   #1462
Kornholio

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Usually a few hours a week in total.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:24 PM   #1463
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
At the moment, I practice between 30 minutes and an hour a day. Iím trying to play the head of Mike Sternís ďChromazoneĒ at tempo, which is revealing some problems with my picking. Itís sixteenth notes at 120 bpm, minimum, which is kind of an intermediate zone between slower and faster runs that Iíve always had some trouble with.

Iíve also had some nerve damage in my neck that affects the last two fingers on the left hand. Itís much better than it was a couple of years ago but I notice those fingers donít respond as fast as I expect them to without quite a bit of warm-up. Up tempo tunes like Chromazone reveal issues with hand synchronization accordingly.

Practice usually consists of picking exercises to focus on building speed and synchronization, one or two scale fingerings, playing Chromazone and jamming over a random backing track, ideally one I havenít heard before.

There was a time when I practiced between four and six hours a day, but Iím lucky to get an hour at a stretch now.

California Superbike School ē tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:20 AM   #1464
poach
seeking balance

Name:
^^^We share some commonality for sure. Though jazz is pretty hit or miss for me. Some I really enjoy(Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, “some” Holdsworth), but some is so bad I can’t even pretend to listen to it. I recently tried to watch a clip of Gambale showcasing...well, showcasing fucking Gambale as usual, and it was just awful. I appreciate and respect the skill, but my ears glaze over after about 20sec of that meandering crap.

Also, I believe we were chatting re Plini and his new stuff at some point? He dropped his EP in December in case you want to scope it.

Last edited by poach; 01-25-2021 at 07:39 AM..
poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:40 AM   #1465
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Have heard Plini's Ep. Just came across Owane last night. Have you heard of this guy?

Old 01-25-2021, 07:43 AM   #1466
Kornholio

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Just curious Andy, how many guitars do you have these days? What's your typical go-to and, refresh my memory, didn't you have a Parker Fly at one point?

Old 01-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #1467
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

I have five electrics, one acoustic and a bass. The go-to is an EBMM Steve Morse model. I do still have a Parker Fly.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:55 AM   #1468
Kornholio

Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++ BB

Well other than the Ernie Ball and the Parker, what else ya go?

Old 01-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #1469
poach
seeking balance

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider View Post
Have heard Plini's Ep. Just came across Owane last night. Have you heard of this guy?
Yes! Love his stuff!!! He did some work on Jack Gardinerís new ep that I really like.

Jakub Zytecki is another guy you might like. I really, really dig his clean/percussive style.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:07 AM   #1470
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

The other three are:

A G&L Rampage from back in the days where one pickup and a volume knob were all the rage. I never play it and should find someone who wants to get their late 80's on.

An Ibanez Musician Series, also from the early 80's. Very playable still, but I made a bit of a mess of the thing replacing pickups and changing the pickup configuration. At the time it fulfilled a need, so I can't have too many regrets, but in hindsight, it might have been nice to just let it be what it was.

The last is a guitar I built. Neck through construction; neck is laminated strips of maple and walnut with an ebony fingerboard and graphite reinforcing bar. 24 frets. Body is a redwood burl, left mostly in its natural shape. EMG pickups, wired in a Gibson configuration.