Old 10-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #16
berth
Veteran

Motorcycles: KRS-1200
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalkid View Post
Boy that's a winner.

How did the Wee like that washboard road?
#69 #45 NP
berth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:15 AM   #17
bikewanker
Veteran

AMA #: 178394
Contributor ++++++++++++1%

Motorcycles: TR-650x2, , Rapid Taxi RR, Tiger 1050, ZX-6r, '81 1002 F
Name: chris
Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by berth View Post
Boy that's a winner.

The beauty of a natural BARF salute.

"tis better to wank here than in the hereafter" M.S. Murphy.
"Rivers and roads lead people on" Georgia O'Keeffe

Be Well Ride Well
bikewanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:01 AM   #18
norcalkid
Veteran

Motorcycles: DL650
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berth View Post
Boy that's a winner.

The Wee is totally fine on this kind of stuff. I could always find a smoother line. Gravel roads, decent fire roads, roads into camp sites etc it's fine. It's the tighter slower stuff where the weight gets you and the bumpier stuff where the skid plate gets hammered. IMO this is the kind of "adv" riding the Wee is built for. The occasional decent dirt road. Not really much more than that.

If I were looking for a bike for a lot of dirt the Wee wouldn't be my first choice. If I wasn't on a budget the Wee wouldn't be my first choice. But on a 5k budget looking for a bike to travel on, can do 74-75mph all day long, can do some light dirt, does better in the twisties than a lot of the more dirt adv bikes. I don't think there is a better bike for under 5k to do this style of travel on. I paid $4500 for my bike and got the top box used off ebay, have rode it as far north as Jasper Canada, Glacier, Yellowstone, all over the Western US. Had planned to ride to Alaska in May/June but the world shut down.

IMO the shortcomings of the VStrom. LOW, OK in the twisties but there are certainly better, no cruise control, wish it was a little bigger on the 75 or 80 mph speed limit roads, not great in the dirt, fuel range when totally loaded for camping is 165mi max(huge reduction in mpg when loaded up to travel and going 74 mph). I would love to have a 1200GS. Better on every one of the shortcomings I have listed. But a 20k bike even used is twice the price I could get for the Wee. I really like riding the twisties and don't want a more dirt orientated bigger front tire like a lot of the adv bikes have.

Last edited by norcalkid; 10-16-2020 at 09:06 AM..
norcalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #19
doc4216
Coastie who high fives

AMA #3289553
Contributor + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 R1200RS
Name: Shannon
Great thread! Love all you pictures. It looked like a great trip so far.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:58 AM   #20
norcalkid
Veteran

Name:
Day 6 521 miles

This was the best "riding day" of the trip. I almost immediately turned onto highway 95 which turned out to be amazing. 100+ miles of 2 lanes, almost no traffic and sweeping turns. Started out in the high desert and ended up going through red canyons in the Colorado river area. Lots of dispersed camping all along 95. It was a great motorcycle road.

I got to the little town of Torey Utah, got gas and headed down 12 toward Bryce Canyon. 12 was unreal riding too. Cool mountain pass in the trees then the top of the world. My pics don't do it justice. It was kinda similar in a section to going around Emerald Bay in Tahoe where your on the very top ridge of the mountain. Only this went on for miles with a AMAZING view. Was a truly awesome road to ride.

The road passes through Capital Reef NP before arriving at Bryce Canyon. The ride through Capital Reef was nice, but honestly I felt Bryce was a bit underwhelming. I decided not to camp in this area and after riding to the dead end in the park I gassed up and rode on toward Zion. I had planned to camp in the Bryce Canyon area but it was too cold and windy to camp.

Zion NP was awesome, for sure my favorite of the trip. It's a smaller NP but IMO a must see. Totally awesome place. It's a ride through park with the road being about 13 miles long through the park.

From Zion I headed through the St George area and got a hotel just across the Nevada border in Mesquite Nevada. Got dinner and headed across the street to the gas station where there was a Dairy Queen and had an ice cream for dessert.

Highway 95, Not a technical ride, just big sweeping turns with beautiful scenery.

PXL_20201011_135145551~2 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

PXL_20201011_140211691~2 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

PXL_20201011_141838869~2 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

Highway 12, my pics don't do this road justice. Google it, highway 12 scenic byway. The road is amazing, twists its way through Dixie national forest and over a pass that's amazing.

Pics don't do this road justice.
PXL_20201011_173817117~2 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

PXL_20201011_174027873~2 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

Bryce Canyon NP
PXL_20201011_200501854 by Norcalkid, on Flickr
Old 10-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #21
norcalkid
Veteran

Name:
Zion NP, Zion was one of the highlights of the trip.

PXL_20201011_215416998~2 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

PXL_20201011_220105603~2 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

PXL_20201011_222243876 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

PXL_20201011_215426292 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

PXL_20201011_220046661 by Norcalkid, on Flickr
Old 10-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #22
bikewanker
Veteran

AMA #: 178394
Contributor ++++++++++++1%

Motorcycles: TR-650x2, , Rapid Taxi RR, Tiger 1050, ZX-6r, '81 1002 F
Name: chris
You’re a patient photographer or were in Zion with no traffic. Numerous rides on 95 and I’m still rubber necking and taking photos, just not as good as yours! Riding 95 through Capital Reef and wandering off of 12 where you can stop and touch the geological formations kinda makes Bryce a hassle, even though it’s spectacular.
Thank you for a proper ride report.

"tis better to wank here than in the hereafter" M.S. Murphy.
"Rivers and roads lead people on" Georgia O'Keeffe

Be Well Ride Well
bikewanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:01 PM   #23
berth
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikewanker View Post
You’re a patient photographer or were in Zion with no traffic. Numerous rides on 95 and I’m still rubber necking and taking photos, just not as good as yours! Riding 95 through Capital Reef and wandering off of 12 where you can stop and touch the geological formations kinda makes Bryce a hassle, even though it’s spectacular.
Thank you for a proper ride report.
Zion is a dangerous place to ride and drive because it's so hard to keep your eyes on the road and not looking up at the cliffs and rocks.
#69 #45 NP
Old 10-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #24
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Fun stuff Kid!!

Dig the pics and descriptions.

If the pics don't do that road justice I got to get out there and give it a go
budman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #25
atoyf
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: BMW
Name:
so beautiful and fantastic trip ! thank you for sharing !!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #26
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Looks like a great trip, thanks for posting.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:48 AM   #27
norcalkid
Veteran

Name:
Day 7 677 miles

I just rode home today. 677 miles across Nevada. I was either guna ride past lake Isabela or across Nevada. When I realized Nevada temp was 10 degree cooler than Bakersfield, no California smoke, and actually the shortest route it was a no brainier, cross Nevada.

Anyway, I set off from Mesquite with the intention of riding all the way home. It was actually chilly the first 200 miles or so. I wore all my winter gear (40's). I had no real plan to go through Rachel Nv (the area 51 area) but that just happened to be the shortest route. Unfortunately I can't tell you much about that, you know, national security and all.

I almost ran out of gas. From the gas stations before Rachel to Hawthorne was 165 miles. Both gas lights were blinking when I arrived. Bike took over 4.5 gallons. That's one thing to plan for with a V-Strom, I get about 54mpg just riding around. With all my camping gear going 75 across Nevada with a bit of wind I averaged under 40mpg. This isn't uncommon for me when the bike is fully loaded and running at high RPM's on a trip.

Made it home just before 6pm, bike read 677 miles for the day.

PXL_20201012_150013886 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

PXL_20201012_144939265 by Norcalkid, on Flickr

Outside a museum in Hawthorne. Was actually closed but the tank was out front.
PXL_20201012_184631944 by Norcalkid, on Flickr
Old 10-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #28
berth
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Day 7 677 miles

I just rode home today. 677 miles across Nevada. I was either guna ride past lake Isabela or across Nevada. When I realized Nevada temp was 10 degree cooler than Bakersfield, no California smoke, and actually the shortest route it was a no brainier, cross Nevada.
Not the intuitive choice, is it. Sounds like a hard day of riding.

Quote:
Outside a museum in Hawthorne. Was actually closed but the tank was out front.
Somewhat related, there's a General Patton Museum out in the desert (with a tank in front), at Chiriaco Summit. Mind, it's not in the middle of the desert. Desert Center is 10 to 15 miles east, and I guess that IS the middle of the desert. "Says so on the map!"

http://generalpattonmuseum.com

It's one of those "What is that doing out here" things, and it turns out that this was the Desert Training Center used by Patton to prepare the tank fighters for Africa in WWII.

My friend and I stopped there once on our way back from one of our trips to Arizona.
#69 #45 NP
Old 10-18-2020, 08:28 AM   #29
norcalkid
Veteran

Name:
Post trip summery.

The COVID19 thing wasn't a big deal. The only detour I had to make was I couldn't cut across from the South Rim of Grand Canyon to 89. The mask thing was handled different in different states. Calif, Az and Nevada everybody wearing masks. Utah a lot less masks. Locals and gas stations and such more often than not weren't wearing masks in Utah.

As for the V-Strom, maintenance and reliability. Total trip was 2846 miles. I used a bit of chain lube.

The Alaska Leather sheepskin butt pad made a big difference. I was really glad I had it. I didn't have it last summer on Canada trip. Noticeably happier butt this time.

The nights were cold, first thing I did after arriving home was order a new sleeping bag. My 20+ year old Coleman Peak 1 rated for 30 degrees (???) but probably a lot less after 20 years of abuse just wasn't cutting it. I ordered a Nemo Forte 20. Not cheap bit I'm sicka being cold at night.

Cheapest gas was in Az I paid $2.09 but think I saw 2.05 in one area.

My first time using Shinko 705's. No issues. Not sure I'd be using them on a bigger/heavier bike but I'm guna stick to them on the VStrom.

????$$$$???? I think the week long trip cost me a bit under $800. This included my annual NP pass ($80) and 3 nights in hotels.

Capital One CC. I tried to put everything on 1 CC just to track spending and in case of fraud. I kinda ran into issues with the Capital One card at gas stations. Online it said no travel notice required. But if I hit the same gas brand station twice in a day it wouldn't allow me to pay at the pump the second time. Meaning I had to mask up and go inside. I'll call and try to turn this feature off next time.

Traveling this area in October. The riding weather was great. I was in mesh 3 of the 7 days. Couldn't ask for better riding weather in this area. Nights got cold. You kinda gota be prepared for any weather in this area this time of year. Coldest temp I saw on the bike was 37 at 0930 in mountains above Bishop. 16 miles later I was changing into mesh jacket in Bishop. I never saw 100 other than for about 10 minutes in Death Valley. Majority of the trip was mid 70's-low 80's. Crossing Nevada was cold with the first 200 miles or so in the 40's.

I was really glad I brought 2 jackets. My warm winter jacket and my mesh. I would say I was about 50/50 on which one I wore. Sometimes heavy in the morning and mesh in the afternoon. I used my warm winter gloves and grip heaters in Bishop and crossing Nevada. It never got cold enough to install my HippoHands though I brought them.

My Canada trip if anybodies interested.
https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/f...d.php?t=538160
Old 10-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #30
berth
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Capital One CC. I tried to put everything on 1 CC just to track spending and in case of fraud. I kinda ran into issues with the Capital One card at gas stations. Online it said no travel notice required. But if I hit the same gas brand station twice in a day it wouldn't allow me to pay at the pump the second time. Meaning I had to mask up and go inside. I'll call and try to turn this feature off next time.
I think this is a motorcycle thing.

Cars don't fill up several times a day, and if they do, they're really far apart.

The system just isn't set up to handle someone dump $15 in to a tank 3 times a day at different places.
#69 #45 NP