BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 01-31-2019, 05:20 PM   #121
clutchslip
Not as fast as I look.

AMA #: 400179
Contributor ++xoxox++BB++++++!

Motorcycles: Ones faster than I can ride them.
Name: Skippy Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by DReg350 View Post
There is just so much wrong here: They have FIVE THOUSAND employees on a "secret project". That is so secret that this link knows about the whole story. And it's going so GREAT, that, like Tesla, they lay off employees from the project. Oh, lord, save me from the Silicon Valley that has supported me for years. It is so damn illogically self-serving - it's mind boggling.
Quote:
. He was one of 5,000 Apple employees who was looped in on the company’s self-driving car effort, known as “Project Titan,” which has been operating in secret for years. (The company also recently laid off about 200 employees from the project.) Furthermore, he was also one of 1,200 “core” employees who directly work on the project. Chen was on the electrical engineering team, according to the charging document.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:42 PM   #122
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Motorcycles: Done Broked Down
Name: Lefty2Guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchslip View Post
There is just so much wrong here: They have FIVE THOUSAND employees on a "secret project". That is so secret that this link knows about the whole story. And it's going so GREAT, that, like Tesla, they lay off employees from the project. Oh, lord, save me from the Silicon Valley that has supported me for years. It is so damn illogically self-serving - it's mind boggling.
Because the project had 5,000 people on it that means it can't be secret. BTW, nobody knows exactly what Apple is doing with Titan. It's been the subject of speculation for years, with no definitive confirmation of exactly what it is.

The Manhattan project had about 130,000 employees on it. Was that not 'secret'?

And this dude was flat out stealing IP to take back to a company in China. The Chinese have been doing this for decades, they're doing it right now and they'll be doing it in the future. It's not even a debate. Go read the evidence that was released today related to the TMobile IP theft - it's insane. They're thieves, plain and simple. Everybody knows it, it's just nobody wanted to talk about it much out in the open until recently.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:45 PM   #123
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutEnduser View Post
Um, there was a story like that, about a month or more ago. Like the catching at the airport thing.
Different guy. This is a second Chinese guy caught stealing autonomous car IP from Apple in the last six months...

And he was arrested at the airport.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:02 PM   #124
clutchslip
Not as fast as I look.

AMA #: 400179
Contributor ++xoxox++BB++++++!

Motorcycles: Ones faster than I can ride them.
Name: Skippy Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Because the project had 5,000 people on it that means it can't be secret. BTW, nobody knows exactly what Apple is doing with Titan. It's been the subject of speculation for years, with no definitive confirmation of exactly what it is.

The Manhattan project had about 130,000 employees on it. Was that not 'secret'?

And this dude was flat out stealing IP to take back to a company in China. The Chinese have been doing this for decades, they're doing it right now and they'll be doing it in the future. It's not even a debate. Go read the evidence that was released today related to the TMobile IP theft - it's insane. They're thieves, plain and simple. Everybody knows it, it's just nobody wanted to talk about it much out in the open until recently.
Yes that is EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS. This guy is reporting on it. DUH! IT AIN'T SECRET. Me - Captain Obvious. More . You should revisit Elementary School History. The Manhattan project was NOT secret. More .
Old 01-31-2019, 06:10 PM   #125
Archimedes
Fire Watcher

Contributor +1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchslip View Post
Yes that is EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS. This guy is reporting on it. DUH! IT AIN'T SECRET. Me - Captain Obvious. More . You should revisit Elementary School History. The Manhattan project was NOT secret. More .
Riigght, so because I know the CIA is a spy agency, the actual content of their spying activities isn't secret. And since we all know that Intel's working on a new chip and what the performance specs will likely be, the content of that development and architecture and design of that chip isn't secret...

I think the word you were searching for was Oblivious, not Obvious...

Apple is rumored to have spent over a billion dollars on the project and the IP is extremely valuable. It's proprietary intellectual property. Trade secrets. Just because you know they're working on something, doesn't mean you know jack shit about the actual intellectual property that remains secret. Unless of course you're a shifty Chinese guy willing to commit felony theft and risk a decade in jail to steal it. Then you have photos, thousands of design files, and a ticket to Beijing in your pocket.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:34 PM   #126
renxianqiclone
Banned

Motorcycles: 2011 s1000rr, 2005 R1, 1998 R6 (RIP), 2007 Ninja 250 (for sale but keys missing)
Name: Yuanliang
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/31/69029...curity-at-risk

Heard this interview during my commute home from work. Shines some light at the risk that every country faces not just from HuaWei but any other tech company.
renxianqiclone is offline   Reply With Quote