BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Craig,

Thanks so much for bringing the big Twins back to life. Gulbranson was DYING inside to pass other bikes, in the dirt, on the outside of the S's at BW going into T11....AGAIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigre13 View Post
Woot!
Hey you, Get back here!
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:06 PM   #17
Gravisman
Aspiring Racer

Contributor

Motorcycles: ZX-6R RSV4 Panigale 899 Ninja 300 FZ-07R
Name: Gravisman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneerider View Post
Gravisman,

Come race with us - I see you have a Panigale 899 too...
I described myself as a slow rookie because I have no visions of even winning in my own class in the near term, much less a higher class. Being new to the whole thing Iím not sure whether itís fun to jump in class like that as a slow guy on an underpowered machine or just a bad idea.

Motorcycles turn by harnessing the pure power of awesome directly from the soul of the multiverse. Motorcycles make physics their bitch.
Gravisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:33 AM   #18
GoGo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: KTM 1290 SDR
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravisman View Post
...Being new to the whole thing Iím not sure whether itís fun to jump in class like that as a slow guy on an underpowered machine or just a bad idea.
I can relate to everything you said Gravisman. Being new, not even considering winning, unsure of many things..

You remind me of the first expert race that I ever led. It happened off the start - somehow I did something really right and there I was with clear track in front of me. I felt like a hundred raging animals were chasing me and all of them were faster, which they all were. Racers I looked up to, racers that I had watched win races for years, champions from all kinds of classes, guys who came with huge trailers and factory colors... Suddenly there I was leading them all into turn one. And then into turn two. I couldn't believe it, my heart was in my throat, I couldn't feel my feet, and all I heard were howling motors just behind me.

Needless to say by the exit of turn two the most aggressive of those champions passed me as I exited in the wrong gear. It was all backwards from there but something happened in that initial moment that I still carry with me today. I learned that in order to achieve something you need confidence. You need to know, for yourself and in yourself, that you belong there. Unfortunately in racing and in life, it's a little bit of a chicken or the egg conundrum; If you need confidence in order to win, how in the love of shit can you ever get your first win?

My answer is, break your ultimate goal into steps. Lots of little steps, lots of little accomplishments. And climb your ladder one rung at a time.

In your case, and in mine a long time ago, I did not have an ultimate goal. I just wanted to go racing. I didn't even know what racing was when I started. In fact my first race school happened on the first day I ever SAW a racetrack in person. Looking back I think I was goal-less because I was also experience-less. So that's where I started. And slowly, very slowly actually, I grew from there.

That first expert race I told you about, that I led for two turns, happened SIX years into my racing career. Why did it take me so long? Because I never felt I belonged there until suddenly I was.

So let me offer you something, because I was offered many things by many fellow racers from the very first day I arrived - you already accomplished something. You already have gotten farther than most ever will. Just the fact that you have a motorcycle prepped for racing, and that you are pondering what class to enter, are two major accomplishments.

Get yourself there, enter Open Twins, introduce yourself in the pits and watch what happens. If you're scared of people like I was and still am, look for the number 33 on a bike that doesn't belong. That guy is glad to help.

Good luck brother
GoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:00 PM   #19
Gravisman
Aspiring Racer

Contributor

Dude - do you have number 33?! That’s been my favorite number my whole life. I had it on my track day bike for a while, and if I ever get a chance to race it, I damn sure will.

I appreciate your story and all you had to say - that was cool to read. I do actually have a goal ahead of me: I’m 36 this year, and my goal is to take 4 years to practice and then win Formula 40 in my first eligible year You’ve all been warned

Motorcycles turn by harnessing the pure power of awesome directly from the soul of the multiverse. Motorcycles make physics their bitch.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:21 PM   #20
GoGo
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Quote:
...Youíve all been warned
There you go
Old 03-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #21
Gravisman
Aspiring Racer

Contributor

I went ahead and signed up for Open Twins. Iíll be the guy out there on a purple bike

Look forward to seeing everyone.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #22
Kneerider
Rookie

Motorcycles: All Italian, all the time...
Name:
Thumbs up Welcome!

Quote:
I went ahead and signed up for Open Twins. Iíll be the guy out there on a purple bike

Look forward to seeing everyone.
Gravisman,

Glad you signed up for this class, and I think you'll enjoy it. Looking forward to meeting you in Buttonwillow.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:49 AM   #23
Kneerider
Rookie

Name:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Craig,

Thanks so much for bringing the big Twins back to life.
Thank YOU and the Board of Directors, Berto!

For all the Open Twins racers out there, if you see a board member at the track, be sure to give them a big thank you and . It's because of their partnership and support that we're able to race this class in a great spot during the day and show what this class can be - again.

Looking forward to seeing you all in Buttonwillow this weekend.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #24
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +

Nononono....THANKS TO YOU CRAIG!!!!!
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Old 03-22-2021, 06:57 AM   #25
Gravisman
Aspiring Racer

Contributor

Thank you, Craig and PeopleMovers for sponsoring this class! I had a blast riding and watching all the fast riders on big twins disappear into the distance. Meanwhile I cruised my way to a shiny second place plaque in the novice class. That sponsorship seems to pay for a nice plaque - keep it up! Look forward to racing this class all year!

Old 03-23-2021, 01:33 PM   #26
GoGo
Veteran

Contributor

Name:
Great work everyone who played a part in reviving and participating in this Open Twins class. It was great to see so many bikes on the grid. WOOOHOOO!!!
Old 03-24-2021, 12:29 PM   #27
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +

Thanks so much Craig and PeopleMovers! Thanks to all who raced the Open Twins class this last weekend too!

AFM #6 2020
Old 03-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #28
afm222
Rookie

Motorcycles: DUCATI PANIGALE R, KTM 350 SXF, KTM 350 XC
Name: Jeff
Craig- Thanks again for taking the time to get the Open Twins Class the help it needed to be relevant again. Nice meeting you this past weekend.

Berto- Thanks for taking the time to listen and be open to giving this class an opportunity to grow. Thanks to your fellow board members as well.

GoGo- When I think of Open Twins you're the first person I think of as you have been a Champion literally and figuratively for this class for many years.

Prospective racers- If you're on the fence about racing or are looking for a safe, fun class to race in, look no further than the Twins class. You won't find a safer group of guys to race with and the V-twin motor is simply the easiest bike to ride. Being a super old guy who's had some recent health issues, I determined that if I was ever able to come back to racing it would have to be on a Twin. Bought a Ducati and have never been happier. Even though my best days are well behind me from a racing perspective, I'm having more fun than ever in my 20 years of racing. Come join the fun !
afm222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #29
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +

Thanks Jeff for bringing excitement to the class AND coming back to racing. You looked great (and happy) out there!

FWIW, the BOD was massively instrumental w/ Craig (the LEADER of this resurgence) in getting this done. I LOVE our BOD!

AFM #6 2020
Old 03-25-2021, 03:21 PM   #30
Kneerider
Rookie

Name:
Thumbs up AFM RD #1 - FANTASTIC!!!

Open Twins is BACK!

What a fantastic weekend and a great first round to the 2021 season. It was so good to reconnect with all of you, to get reacclimated to the track and to get an initial taste of what a great season this will be. Thank you to each of you who sought me out at the track and offered thanks and support. Without you we couldn't do this and with the depth of talent and PASSION in this class, every conversation is interesting.

I would like to thank ALL of the OPEN TWINS riders who signed up, and then SHOWED up, and provided great racing at all levels throughout the race. I had so much fun riding with all of you, and while this round may be the last time I'm gridded next to GoGo in P2...it sure was a fun start to this race.

GoGo: Thank you for being the constant in this class that people look forward to, and to being a great ambassador. You always put on a good show and it looks like the competition is building and this class will be interesting to watch.

Jimmy, Jeff, Gavin, Dave, Ladja, thank you all for making this race something to look forward to in the Expert class. I know we have others joining next time (Jon and John hopefully, and perhaps others), and the growing field will provide even more brands of bikes and talented riders. Donnie, Luke, and Steve, you are all making this class even better and more interesting, and I know you'll be mixing it up with the fast guys in time.

Finally, THANK YOU BERTO AND THE AFM BOD for making this possible. Every member on the Board of Directors for the AFM voted to make this happen. We owe them a debt of gratitude and I offer my sincere thanks in this public forum for their support. We will continue to grow this class, provide excellent racing, and make the AFM stronger.

Can't wait for next round, and I'm looking forward to hearing more from the riders / reports, and please post any video you have and point us to the links.

See you all at RD #2!