Old 07-09-2019, 06:12 AM   #166
JesasaurusRex
Veteran

Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: Are Gay
Name: Rex
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan23 View Post
I don't care how it sounds, as long as it runs good. I am in love with the quick shifter btw. If the 2020 701 gets that, I'm getting that bike for sure.
I thought the same, til i had an engine failure. It never sounded "different" to me, just loud valve train noise. If it were quieter it's very likely i still wouldn't have heard anything considering what the failure was. I guess having one fail has left me with some ptsd and I'm just not comfortable with the "i dont care what it sounds like as long as it runs good" mantra anymore.

soliqsoliq - "Miatas can be cool I like to think of my bike as the Miata of motorcycles--underpowered and often considered a chick's vehicle..."
JesasaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:19 AM   #167
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 18 450 SXF
Name:
How different is the 701 motor compared to the svartpilen? I'm in the market for another bike, miss the supermoto life but I want to do more street miles.
KooLaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #168
Woody146
Back on 2!

Motorcycles: 2017 701 sm 2012 Yamaha FZ8(sold) 2015 BMW s1000R(R.I.P.) 2018 S1000r (R.I.P.)
Name:
Quote:
maybe after owning many LC4s, i'm immune to the noise. Here's what my 2019 SMCR sounds like bone stock.

I did a hot shutdown and hot re-start, this usually will cause the OEM CCT to click for a few seconds, but it doesn't.

youtu.be/19iDNJqOsnk
Yup, sounds like a tractor. Looks like and sounds like an orange 701 that went on a diet to fit into some skinny jeans.

That quickshifter is the part I want the most. I have kinda looked at retrofitting it but have found no info. The dealer wasnít any help either
Woody146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #169
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2019 KTM 690 SMC-R
Name: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesasaurusRex View Post
I thought the same, til i had an engine failure. It never sounded "different" to me, just loud valve train noise. If it were quieter it's very likely i still wouldn't have heard anything considering what the failure was. I guess having one fail has left me with some ptsd and I'm just not comfortable with the "i dont care what it sounds like as long as it runs good" mantra anymore.
I would feel the same! As you know i've gone through my fair share of bikes and failures, and the PTSD post major motor repair usually goes away after I put some miles on the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KooLaid View Post
How different is the 701 motor compared to the svartpilen? I'm in the market for another bike, miss the supermoto life but I want to do more street miles.
Same motor. This may sound strange, but I would much rather do highway miles on the SM than the pilen bikes. The stock gearing is tall. I don't shift to 6th til about 80 mph, and I am much more comfortable riding upright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody146 View Post
Yup, sounds like a tractor. Looks like and sounds like an orange 701 that went on a diet to fit into some skinny jeans.

That quickshifter is the part I want the most. I have kinda looked at retrofitting it but have found no info. The dealer wasn’t any help either
You can go aftermarket for QS, but only for upshifts

http://www.accessoryinternational.co...fter-easy.html

If the 701 comes out with the same electronics package as my 690 SMCR, i'll get one and you can buy my old 690. I promise it will be the cleanest bike you've ever seen!

One huge upgrade on the 690 over the current 701 is the apex suspension. It's far superior! The valving is really good, and sprung very well.

Last edited by stan23; 07-09-2019 at 10:37 AM..
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #170
Woody146
Back on 2!

Motorcycles: 2017 701 sm 2012 Yamaha FZ8(sold) 2015 BMW s1000R(R.I.P.) 2018 S1000r (R.I.P.)
Name:
Smile

Quote:
I would feel the same! As you know i've gone through my fair share of bikes and failures, and the PTSD post major motor repair usually goes away after I put some miles on the bike.

Same motor. This may sound strange, but I would much rather do highway miles on the SM than the pilen bikes. The stock gearing is tall. I don't shift to 6th til about 80 mph, and I am much more comfortable riding upright.

You can go aftermarket for QS, but only for upshifts

http://www.accessoryinternational.co...fter-easy.html

If the 701 comes out with the same electronics package as my 690 SMCR, i'll get one and you can buy my old 690. I promise it will be the cleanest bike you've ever seen!

One huge upgrade on the 690 over the current 701 is the apex suspension. It's far superior! The valving is really good, and sprung very well.
Iíve been looking at that healtech qs. Do I want it, sure...do I NEED it? No... it is kind of nice having a bike with no electronics. When my new bike shows up, it will be fully loaded with auto blip and tft dash and carbon wheels so having 2 vastly different bikes will be nice

Iím actually not having any issues with the suspension. I have lost 110 lbs since I bought the bike so @ 170, I think Iím in the target weight range for the current setup. Putting it in the sport setttings helped a lot as well
Woody146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #171
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2019 KTM 690 SMC-R
Name: .
Quote:
Iíve been looking at that healtech qs. Do I want it, sure...do I NEED it? No... it is kind of nice having a bike with no electronics. When my new bike shows up, it will be fully loaded with auto blip and tft dash and carbon wheels so having 2 vastly different bikes will be nice

Iím actually not having any issues with the suspension. I have lost 110 lbs since I bought the bike so @ 170, I think Iím in the target weight range for the current setup. Putting it in the sport setttings helped a lot as well
The stock suspension on the 701 is very good. They just improved it on the 690.

I did not want electronics on my bikes until I had it all on my 1290 Super Adventure R. It was amazing. Wack the throttle wide open in mid corner and the bike does a controlled slide for you. You don't even feel it or does it upset the chassis. Of course the 690 doesn't have close to the power of the 1290, but its still fun to play around with it. The Quickshifter is so much fun, it just fires off upshifts and auto blips for downshifts. The only thing strange that I never got used to is grabbing a handful of front brake while leaned over. But I guess it's good to know I have that 'safety' feature.
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:57 AM   #172
JesasaurusRex
Veteran

Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: Are Gay
Name: Rex
Quote:

at first i was like, how tf did you get the bike down to 170

soliqsoliq - "Miatas can be cool I like to think of my bike as the Miata of motorcycles--underpowered and often considered a chick's vehicle..."
JesasaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote