Old 03-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #1816
madsen203
Undetermined

Motorcycles: 2006 YZ250
Name: Michael M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
...Really great info...
I will consider removing the black fenders if I see vibration. I'm going to try to keep my speed down at 60 or below but I imagine it'll still vibrate. I wonder if I stuck some rubber between the mount and trailer if that would help eliminate the cracking potential.

I appreciate all of these tips and info that will make for happy trailer-ing.

Will keep ya'll posted!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #1817
Kestrel
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsen203 View Post
I will consider removing the black fenders if I see vibration. I'm going to try to keep my speed down at 60 or below but I imagine it'll still vibrate. I wonder if I stuck some rubber between the mount and trailer if that would help eliminate the cracking potential.

I appreciate all of these tips and info that will make for happy trailer-ing.

Will keep ya'll posted!
Figured I'd brain dump everything that came to mind while it was still somewhat recent.

Unfortunately the fenders will break the frame, even with light use. They use two bolts to mount them, but they're relatively close together near the center of the fender... Torque is applied to that spot, and voila... crack.

Something as simple as steel hanger strap can be used on the far forward and rear edges of the fender to stop it from oscillating - as long as you prevent that motion, it isn't a problem.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #1818
madsen203
Undetermined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
Figured I'd brain dump everything that came to mind while it was still somewhat recent.

Unfortunately the fenders will break the frame, even with light use. They use two bolts to mount them, but they're relatively close together near the center of the fender... Torque is applied to that spot, and voila... crack.

Something as simple as steel hanger strap can be used on the far forward and rear edges of the fender to stop it from oscillating - as long as you prevent that motion, it isn't a problem.
I'll look at removing the fenders. Not like they will do much anyway. Most M/c trailers do not have fenders (the used ones i've seen at least).

I will test the trailer out tonight or tomorrow. I like the idea of the carriage bolt facing out for easy removal. I need to get a wing nut that I can hand remove.

Suggestions for ultra cheap wheel chock?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #1819
madsen203
Undetermined

Just got a 60cc syringe from work and will reverse bleed the brakes and clutch tonight if I can get the hose to stick on the bleed nipple. Will also install radiator guards (may need 1/2" longer coolant hosing now too--grr!)

Getting it all set up so that when I roll out it will be primed and ready to go!

Does the zip tying the brake handle overnight trick help with firmness and air bubbles after bleeding?
Old 03-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #1820
Cabrito
cabrón

AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Motorcycles: Mostly Red with big Orange spot
Name: Michael G
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsen203 View Post
I'll look at removing the fenders. Not like they will do much anyway. Most M/c trailers do not have fenders (the used ones i've seen at least).

I will test the trailer out tonight or tomorrow. I like the idea of the carriage bolt facing out for easy removal. I need to get a wing nut that I can hand remove.

Suggestions for ultra cheap wheel chock?
It's not legal to run a trailer without fenders, and they help keep rocks from flying up and hitting cars and possibly motorcyclists.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:07 PM   #1821
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
I have a HF trailer with many miles on it. I've gone through one set of fender brackets. You can order new brackets from Harbor Freight over the phone. They're like 6 dollars each, I wound up buying like 4 of them or something. You can also drill another set of holes in the brackets if you want to make it last longer. One of mine cracked where the bolts go in so I just drill another set of holes higher and it lowers the fender a bit.

Also you can get a piece of strapping metal the kind with holes in it or just a steel or aluminum bracket and bolt it to one side of the fender and bolt the other to the frame. It'll give it a 3rd mounting point and keep the fender from vibrating as much.

If you can find some lightweight plastic or fiber glass fenders to bolt on that probably would be ideal. The fenders are really the only weak thing about the trailer that and the deck but that's something you need to do on your own anyway. I forked out $150 for a new deck that was marine grade plywood, hopefully this one holds out longer than the last deck I installed O_o'

Last edited by HadesOmega; 03-22-2017 at 03:09 PM..
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #1822
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna FE350, TE300, a vintage CR390, Honda ST1100
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrito View Post
It's not legal to run a trailer without fenders, and they help keep rocks from flying up and hitting cars and possibly motorcyclists.
And gravel will shatter your rear window. I know from experience last summer! Expensive lesson. Replacement fenders are cheap online when an if they do break off.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #1823
Kestrel
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: DR350
Name:
If you fold the trailer up and store it indoors, it'll probably last for the life of the trailer.

Paint it and be done with it. I went to Home Depot and looked at all of the returned paint on the discount rack. Found a nice shade of grey, and voila..
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #1824
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor+++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++ ++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
If you're using Harbor Freightvwheel chicks keep an eye on the weld where the tubing catches the tire. Tgat tubing is hollow and will break especially if you're running knibbied in the towed bikes and do a lot of heavy breaking.
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #1825
anytwowilldo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: XR-400 (plated), KTM 525 (Plated), KTM 990 Adventure, Husky TE300, R1150RT
Name: Tom
I replaced my rear Maxxis Desert IT with a wide open knobby for StonyBarf. I normally can run the Maxxis through Stonybarf and often the Sheetiron, but not this year. I got in 7 days of riding this year in Baja and really tore it up. Well worth it!

I also moved the gearing back from 15/43 (Baja) to 15/47 (almost everywhere else).
Old 04-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #1826
Cabrito
cabrón

AMA #: 2820219
Contributor + + + + + + + + 1%

Motorcycles: Mostly Red with big Orange spot
Name: Michael G
I finally washed it after Stony BARF

Old 04-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #1827
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: '18 Alta SM025, ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM530 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
I thought about washing mine. Josh got the KTM really dirty. He seemed to like to ride through puddles. He's like a kid.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #1828
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Contributor ++++++

Motorcycles: Dino and electron. Street and dirt.
Name: Aaron
Lol. Haven't washed mind, since I'm riding Hollister tomorrow anyway.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #1829
Eric B
Know-it-none

Motorcycles: KLE, KLX, KDX, SRX, Evo
Name: Eric
I looked at mine, as I walked past it.
Eric B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #1830
Lunch Box
Useful idiot

Contributor ++++++

Motorcycles: Dino and electron. Street and dirt.
Name: Aaron
Put it in the van for tomorrow's Hollister ride.