Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Old 12-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #1
R3DS!X
LOLWUT?

Contributor + + + + +

Motorcycles: Motorcycles are dangerous!
Name:
Battery powered heated gloves

Looking to get some heat in my hands. I have to touch people for a living and they don't like my icicle fingers after my commute. I try to heat my hands back up with warm water but it doesn't seem to last.

Who has em? Who has a pair they like? How much, what do they taste like? How long have you two been together? What did you father say? I have so many questions.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
I need a set too. It just seems easier than adding heated grips. My fingers are the first thing to get cold when I'm riding while the temperature is in the 30's.

I can usually warm them up a bit by holding onto the muffler for a minute or two before frostbite sets in.

====== Edit ======

Looks like the answer is already waiting for us in this thread: http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...d.php?t=531818

Last edited by ScottRNelson; 12-13-2018 at 09:32 AM..
ScottRNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #3
R3DS!X
LOLWUT?

Contributor + + + + +

Motorcycles: Motorcycles are dangerous!
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
I need a set too. It just seems easier than adding heated grips. My fingers are the first thing to get cold when I'm riding while the temperature is in the 30's.

I can usually warm them up a bit by holding onto the muffler for a minute or two before frostbite sets in.
I commute on my Zero so I no longer have that luxury. I Want the battery powered ones so I don't have to install headed grips on everything and also I have then have warm gloves when hiking or whatever.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motatoe
Name: Heyou
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DS!X View Post
...have to install headed grips on everything...
Nooooooooooooooo
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
dmfdmf
Still A Rook

Contributor ++ 1%

Motorcycles: '14 Red V-Strom DL650A
Name: David
This won't help you but I'd thought that I'd share one of my DIY Winter projects. I am working on ducting some air with a fan from the front or rear exhaust header to my hand guards. I'm not even at rev1 yet but I've been scoping out ideas all week. I'll probably finish in June when I won't need it, lol, but it should be a fun project.

I had heated grips on my previous 'Strom and I didn't like how they felt. My hands cooked on the inside and froze on the outside which is better than the nothing I have now on my new bike but I am looking for something better. Besides, as an engineer it seems like such a waste to convert amps to heat when the whole motor is nothing if not hot. Also, I'd rather save my amps for lights or other doodads not heat.
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc

Last edited by dmfdmf; 12-13-2018 at 05:41 PM..
dmfdmf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:53 PM   #6
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post
I had heated grips on my previous 'Strom and I didn't like how they felt. My hands cooked on the inside and froze on the outside which is better than the nothing I have now on my new bike but I am looking for something better.
The heated grips weren't the problem. The problem was you were depending on them in conditions too cold for them alone.

There are many things you can do to keep the back of your hands warmer while the grips heat the front part.

Heated grips feel great, they just aren't an entire solution for really cold condition.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:04 AM   #7
davidji
bike curious

Contributor + + + 1%

Motorcycles: 2016 CRF1000L, 2007 R1200R
Name:
Quote:
Besides, as an engineer it seems like such a waste to convert amps to heat when the whole motor is nothing if not hot.
You're not an electrical engineer I take it? As a PE (Electrical), my advice to you is use the heated grips.

Add in heated gloves, or bar muffs, or two-compartment Held gloves (that get your palm closer to the grip, and give you more stuff covering the back of the hand), or whatever it takes to be comfortable in the conditions you ride in.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #8
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
This won't help you but I'd thought that I'd share one of my DIY Winter projects. I am working on ducting some air with a fan from the front or rear exhaust header to my hand guards. I'm not even at rev1 yet but I've been scoping out ideas all week. I'll probably finish in June when I won't need it, lol, but it should be a fun project.

I had heated grips on my previous 'Strom and I didn't like how they felt. My hands cooked on the inside and froze on the outside which is better than the nothing I have now on my new bike but I am looking for something better. Besides, as an engineer it seems like such a waste to convert amps to heat when the whole motor is nothing if not hot. Also, I'd rather save my amps for lights or other doodads not heat.
Why try to run air up there when you could run some tubes with coolant. More efficient at transferring heat than air.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #9
rick
Veteran

Founding Member

Motorcycles: Too many
Name:
Quote:
Besides, as an engineer it seems like such a waste to convert amps to heat when the whole motor is nothing if not hot.
That's why I just run the exhaust up to my helmet - breathe it in and heat your core!
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:30 PM   #10
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DS!X View Post
I commute on my Zero so I no longer have that luxury. I Want the battery powered ones so I don't have to install headed grips on everything and also I have then have warm gloves when hiking or whatever.
Good heated gloves work better than heated grips anyway. I have some Gerbing gloves that I really like. Too bad the motorcycle show is history. It was great for trying on gear at the Gerbing booth.

Another heated gear vendor that is highly regarded is Warm and Safe. Don't know if the have gloves.

I doubt you'll find many, if any, gloves with their own battery pack that would be suitable for motorcycling. What you might do is install a separate battery on the bike just for the gloves. That way you can choose from the best motorcycle specific options. When you plug the bike in at the end of the day to charge it, do the same for the extra battery. With it wired up the right way, it would be simple and quick.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:53 AM   #11
BIGJIM510
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2017 Victory Cross Country
Name: Jimi
I have the tour master leather heated gloves. My commute is short but they definitely help. I think the model is the 7.4v synergy. When it gets real cold(or what we in the bay consider cold) I double up with them and elephant ears and have to turn them to low or off. Even not on they are comfy and fairly warm
Old 12-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
tuxumino
Psy Ops

AMA #: 249288
Chief Beer Mooch
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: my butt on a duc
Name:
https://www.thewarmingstore.com/heated-gloves.html
T.M.U. Local 510 Rabbit Deployment Farce
tuxumino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #13
DGS
mm

Motorcycles: Trail 70, GS500e, VX800, Superhawk, 919 Hornet, Ninja 500R
Name: Devon
I purchased the Tourmaster Synergy 2.0 Leather Gloves in mid October for my ~1 hour commute in the Baltimore area. My bike has clip-ons and no hand wind protection. I paid $208. I think they'd be perfect on their own for a Bay Area commute, but in MD I am planning to add heated grips eventually and probably upgrade to a full wired suit for the coldest days.

For the most part I have been happy with them. The build quality/protection seem excellent for winter/touring gloves and they are thinner than my Rukka lobster mitts but still relatively warm even without the heat on.

Above 40 degrees my hands feel noticeably heated and I find myself varying or even turning off the heat.

30-40 degrees my hands do feel a little cold but the cold doesn't stay with me after I go inside the way it used to and my hands aren't numb or in pain.

The lowest I've gone is ~18 degrees. Getting off the bike after over an hour at this temperature my hands did hurt, but the gloves prevented any numbness that would have been a more serious safety issue.

I charge them once a day at work and haven't wanted to test them and risk being cold.

Last edited by DGS; 12-13-2018 at 11:47 AM..
DGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #14
DGS
mm

Motorcycles: Trail 70, GS500e, VX800, Superhawk, 919 Hornet, Ninja 500R
Name: Devon
On my last bike when I lived in the Bay Area I had a combo of Oxford heated grips + Oxford mitts. The mitts won't work on my clip-ons but they were great especially in the rain.

DGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #15
norcalkid
Veteran

Motorcycles: DL650 Honda Click
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGS View Post
On my last bike when I lived in the Bay Area I had a combo of Oxford heated grips + Oxford mitts. The mitts won't work on my clip-ons but they were great especially in the rain.

Do any of you know if the Oxford ones will fit over OEM DL650 plastic hand guards? They don't look as big as the other brands??
Thanks
norcalkid is offline   Reply With Quote