BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Rider’s Rights. Presented by Cycle Gear > Land Use/OHV Parks

Old 11-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #16
usedtobefast
Veteran

Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7, 450 EXC, F800GT, WeeStrom
Name: David
I'm thinking I need to buy about 15 red sticker bikes in 2021, keep'um in a crate, then open them up in 2025, list them on CL, and profit.
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #17
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
I met with Janet Hawks, Deputy Director of Santa Clara County Parks last week. This is a draft which includes a red sticker issue:

Thank you for meeting with me last week. I believe my primary objective of making your acquaintance and establishing myself and my club (Bay Area Riders Forum) as credible representatives of the park system’s constituency was achieved. We see motorcycles as an important part of future local transportation solutions and Metcalf Motorcycle County Park is an important part of achieving that as safely as possible.

The second issue I had was the motocross track. Per your direction, I am still researching the funding stream of the track upgrade. More importantly, I have found some information regarding the use of the track by “Red Sticker” motorcycles during the seasonal red sticker exclusion.

As you know, Red Sticker Bikes are allowed to operate on a “Closed Course” in exclusion zones. California Air Resources Board, CARB, uses this definition of a closed course:

Division 16.5, Chapter 2, Article 1, Section 38014 
38014. As used in this division, "closed course" includes, but is not limited to, a speedway, racetrack, or a prescribed and defined route of travel on or off a highway that is closed to all motor vehicles other than those of participants. A closed course is one which is not available at any time for vehicular access by the general public.

http://www.easylawlookup.com/Califor...&displayer=YES

Almost everything requires interpretation. I, and most the public, would interpret the motocross track, while being operated by a concessioner, open only to their clients, as closed course.

I request you do the same. This is in the best interest of the Santa Clara County taxpayers, the park users and the community in general. When people are unable to find a legitimate venue to recreate, they find alternatives, some of which are more destructive.

Allowing red sticker bikes to use the motocross track under these circumstances creates no risk and cost to the county. There is no “downside” to allowing this. If there was an actual problem to operating the track under this arrangement, CARB would raise the issue. If needed, a court ruling could easily determine the interpretation of the definitions, rather than you or I.

CARB has determined the “Red Sticker Program” to be ineffective and a phase out is planned, probably in 2025. Until that time Santa Clara County Parks can best serve the public by allowing closed course operation of red sticker bikes year round.

Thank you.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!

Last edited by Butch; 12-02-2018 at 10:28 AM..
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #18
usedtobefast
Veteran

Motorcycles: 990 SMT, 300 XC, Moto Guzzi V7, 450 EXC, F800GT, WeeStrom
Name: David
Wow, awesome idea/approach.

Did she seem like it could be considered? Did she raise issues/concerns?
usedtobefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:33 AM   #19
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobefast View Post
Wow, awesome idea/approach.

Did she seem like it could be considered? Did she raise issues/concerns?
She initiated the closure, so I don’t think so.

I am going to make this change:
“Almost everything requires interpretation. I, and most the public, would interpret the motocross track, while being operated by a concessioner, open only to their clients, as closed course. It is not open to the “general public”; only those who have signed liability waivers, paid for use and are using approved safety equipment.”

Terms of Service:

Old 04-02-2019, 05:49 AM   #20
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Red sticker was discussed at the last meeting, item VI:

AGENDA
Meeting of the
OFF-HIGHWAY MOTOR VEHICLE RECREATION COMMISSION

March 1, 2019
Hilton Garden Inn Palmdale
1309 W. Rancho Vista Boulevard
Palmdale, CA 93551

The meeting will begin at 8:30 a.m.
Public Comment Period for Items Not on the Agenda (3b)(3c) will be held at 11:00 a.m.
The Commission will take a lunch break at approximately 12:00 p.m.
I. CALL TO ORDER
A. Pledge of Allegiance
B. Roll Call
C. Director’s Opening Remarks
II. AGENDA MANAGEMENT(1)(2)(3a)(3c)
III. COMMISSIONERS’ REPORTS
Commissioners’ Reports on any interactions they have had since the last Commission Meeting
IV. AD HOC COMMITTEE REPORTS
V. GREAT BASIN DISTRICT PROGRAM REPORTS
VI. PROGRAM REPORTS
A. CARB Red Sticker Off-Highway Vehicle...

It is in here in the linked video at the 3 hour, 43 minute point
http://cal-span.org/unipage/?site=ca...pdAEx-twPmYvJI

Terms of Service:

Old 04-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #21
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++

AMA D36 announcement:
http://ama-d36.org/d36/ca-red-sticker-program-update/

Terms of Service:

Old 04-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #22
wilit
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '01 SV650S '01 WR250F
Name: Ryan
It's awesome to see that rather than continue forward with a flawed program, they are willing to correct the deficiencies to promote both the sport and the environment. Now, if we could just get that 25 year rolling exemption for cars again, that'd be great.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin
"Americans need never fear their government because of the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation." - James Madison
wilit is offline   Reply With Quote