BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Motards/Supermoto

Notices

Old 06-25-2019, 11:57 AM   #151
Woody146
Back on 2!

Motorcycles: 2020 S1000RR M SPEC 2017 701 sm 2012 Yamaha FZ8(sold) 2015 BMW s1000R(R.I.P.) 2018 S1000r (R.I.P.)
Name:
mine is noisy as hell. sounds like a tractor..runs good though as long as there is fuel in the tank. I'm due for a valve check soon as well..anything i should look for?
Woody146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #152
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: Are Gay
Name: Jesse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody146 View Post
mine is noisy as hell. sounds like a tractor..runs good though as long as there is fuel in the tank. I'm due for a valve check soon as well..anything i should look for?
Thisll be the first so i donno. Called dealer, said $250 plus parts and 2 weeks out. Wondering if this is my best bet if I'm thinking there will be a warranty issue. Hate to tear into this thing and find and issue and bolt it back together just to take it to the dealer. 2 weeks is kinda long tho...

soliqsoliq - "Miatas can be cool I like to think of my bike as the Miata of motorcycles--underpowered and often considered a chick's vehicle..."
JesasaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #153
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

Quote:
so put a little video together. Someone already has an in depth 701 valve check video, i just put this together to add a couple tips that i feel like would have been helpful for me to know right out the gate. Also took a couple pictures how to get the feeler gauge on the hardest valve to check (since that plastic piece gets in the way) and how the marks should line up so you know you're at top dead center (TDC). Hope it helps you out.

On another note, what do you guys think about the decompression system? Too much play? Anyone know the spec for the bolts with the springs on them?

youtu.be/kEJ5Hv45tqM

soliqsoliq - "Miatas can be cool I like to think of my bike as the Miata of motorcycles--underpowered and often considered a chick's vehicle..."
Old 06-29-2019, 07:14 PM   #154
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

Old 06-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #155
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

Also, if u can find a feeler gauge with 45* ends itll def make it easier than a straight set

Old 06-30-2019, 07:52 AM   #156
paul cbr
Custom User Title

Motorcycles: eleven nointy arrr
Name: Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesasaurusRex View Post
Also, if u can find a feeler gauge with 45* ends itll def make it easier than a straight set
I usually just bend them
paul cbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:34 PM   #157
jokerio
Veteran

Motorcycles: Ducati, KTM, Aprilia, Yamasuki, Honasaki, etc..
Name: joe
Quote:
how loud is your guys valve train? feel like my motors gonna blow up again. Not down on power, just noisy as hell.
A lot of the noise comes from the cam chain being loose at idle (Hydraulic cam chain adjuster).
I put an after-market, manual cam chain adjuster in mine, and it quieted-down a lot !
jokerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #158
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerio View Post
A lot of the noise comes from the cam chain being loose at idle (Hydraulic cam chain adjuster).
I put an after-market, manual cam chain adjuster in mine, and it quieted-down a lot !
Yes mostly idle, wonder if that's it. Any way to check?

Old 07-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #159
Woody146
Back on 2!

Motorcycles: 2020 S1000RR M SPEC 2017 701 sm 2012 Yamaha FZ8(sold) 2015 BMW s1000R(R.I.P.) 2018 S1000r (R.I.P.)
Name:
Sweet video!!

Do you know what the spec range is for the valves? I just checked the manual and it only gives 1 number , not a range that is acceptable
Old 07-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #160
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

Quote:
Sweet video!!

Do you know what the spec range is for the valves? I just checked the manual and it only gives 1 number , not a range that is acceptable
should be a grey sticker on your frame right by the valve cover on the left hand side of your bike that has the spec range on it. If yours does not I can take a picture of it later, lmk. You can see the sticker right at the beginning of my video, .10mm-.15mm for the intake and .20mm-.25mm for the exhaust.

Last edited by JesasaurusRex; 07-08-2019 at 08:29 AM..
Old 07-08-2019, 08:34 AM   #161
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerio View Post
what year 701 do you have? old 690 motor or new one? are they interchangeable as far as the cam chain adjuster?

Old 07-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #162
Woody146
Back on 2!

Name:
Quote:
should be a grey sticker on your frame right by the valve cover on the left hand side of your bike that has the spec range on it. If yours does not I can take a picture of it later, lmk. You can see the sticker right at the beginning of my video, .10mm-.15mm for the intake and .20mm-.25mm for the exhaust.
SWEET!

thank you!
Old 07-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #163
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2019 KTM 690 SMC-R
Name: .
maybe after owning many LC4s, i'm immune to the noise. Here's what my 2019 SMCR sounds like bone stock.

I did a hot shutdown and hot re-start, this usually will cause the OEM CCT to click for a few seconds, but it doesn't.

youtu.be/19iDNJqOsnk
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:03 PM   #164
JesasaurusRex
Deleted User

Contributor ++++++++

Ya that sounds just like mine...terrible

Old 07-08-2019, 08:50 PM   #165
stan23
Veteran

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2019 KTM 690 SMC-R
Name: .
Quote:
Ya that sounds just like mine...terrible
I don't care how it sounds, as long as it runs good. I am in love with the quick shifter btw. If the 2020 701 gets that, I'm getting that bike for sure.
stan23 is offline   Reply With Quote