Notices

Old 03-03-2021, 03:31 PM   #16
BigRich
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 1199R, M1200S, R1M, CBR-SP
Name: rich
Carter’s and Z2 Trackdays immediately come to mind. PTT would be second to one of the leading two...
Old 03-03-2021, 06:28 PM   #17
bambamb43
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 BMW S1000R,2002 kawasaki ZRX1200R, 2005 gixxer 1000 (Track) 2010 BMW S1000RR (Track)
Name: Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
Absolute sh1t show, never again for me and will tell all I know to avoid it. Riders don’t respect flags and the session gets black flagged. Good for THill for doing it, bad in the provider for not doing better on individual penalty.

Never again.
I was there Sunday and Monday and yes there were people running flags in the morning but thats not FTDs fault he went over the rules and the flags at the riders meeting and stopped everyone and chewed them out for it, I have done track days with all the local providers even did a couple with that German dude Superbike coach and have had awesome days and some cluster fuck days , I have been doing season passes with FTD because I find them friendly, personable and quick to help you when needed, Dave Moss is there who dials my bike in as if it were on rails , most of his control riders are AFM racers and so is Augie the founder, his whole family puts in alot of work and I've done the math ...he's not getting rich from it , I believe they do it for the love of track riding and trying to bring people into the sport....sorry you had a bad day but thrashing on them like that over one track day experience doesn't seem justified

Last edited by bambamb43; 03-03-2021 at 06:29 PM..
bambamb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #18
BigRich
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Like I said, first impressions matter and given the number of instructors there - I believe it could have been better. And yes, I did have a sh1tty day - not all FTD’s fault, but I believe they could have done more. I’m just providing my own perspective and choosing to go with those organizers that seem more engaged and caring for their riders.

And in the end, you’ll keep going and promoting FTD with your friends right? I won’t be missed either way.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:25 AM   #19
Toe
Used to be cool...

Poser Extraordinaire
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 05 ZX10R- street 06 R6- track
Name: Tomas
Quote:
Like I said, first impressions matter and given the number of instructors there - I believe it could have been better. And yes, I did have a sh1tty day - not all FTDís fault, but I believe they could have done more. Iím just providing my own perspective and choosing to go with those organizers that seem more engaged and caring for their riders.

And in the end, youíll keep going and promoting FTD with your friends right? I wonít be missed either way.
Was that you pitted solo with your R1m? Close to store and club house... did you end up leaving in the middle of the day?
Old 03-04-2021, 11:14 AM   #20
Hooli
Big Ugly

Barfie Winner 2010
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor++++

Motorcycles: Oh yes.
Name: El Jefe
Oh s**t Toe sighting!

"My bullshit meter and givsafuckometers are currently at zenith and nadir." - Carries An Axe

Performance Concepts RMC Moto
---------------------------------
Art Grant Craig Hightower Rydther/B12Bill Gary Jaehne AFM Miri/Lylith
HoHo
Hooli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #21
BigRich
Veteran

Founding Member
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Was that you pitted solo with your R1m? Close to store and club house... did you end up leaving in the middle of the day?
Yep! That was me. Waited the first session, went out to the coaching session Augie held, went out for the second...came in after the black flag - though it seemed a handful of other riders stayed out on track. Went out for the third, which was again black flagged, but with others continuing. After 15 mins of track time total, I called it.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #22
bambamb43
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 BMW S1000R,2002 kawasaki ZRX1200R, 2005 gixxer 1000 (Track) 2010 BMW S1000RR (Track)
Name: Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Didn't mean to sound like I'm promoting them, I'm really not friends with any of them other then just being a customer, there are a couple of other riders I've met there that I talk to , After riding with other TDPs I felt comfortable with FTD plus I think their VIP season pass is a great bang for the buck....Augies a fair guy maybe you could talk to him ..I usually did PTT in February as my season opener except this year since FTDs track day was so close but last year 4 guys in front of me on first outlap crashed in turn 2 , I think season opener is always full of over zealous riders and cold tracks and leads to mayhem no matter what TDP you go with.....like I said Sorry it was a bad experience for you
bambamb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:14 PM   #23
Toe
Used to be cool...

Poser Extraordinaire
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: 05 ZX10R- street 06 R6- track
Name: Tomas
Quote:
Yep! That was me. Waited the first session, went out to the coaching session Augie held, went out for the second...came in after the black flag - though it seemed a handful of other riders stayed out on track. Went out for the third, which was again black flagged, but with others continuing. After 15 mins of track time total, I called it.
Damn man that sucks... Iíve been doing track days for 10 years or so, took a 3 year hiatus to travel and what not. but Iíll tell ya... Iíve seen EVERY provider have shit shows, bad sessions, constant black flags, crashes like you wouldnít believe, unsafe passes, people in the wrong groups, people ignoring flags etc...

The best bet to have a clean track day with minimal issues is to do a Friday track day before AFM... and even those can have problems.

I respect the fact that you donít want to put yourself in a bad situation, but these things happen, especially at the season openers. Hope to see you back out on the track Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post
Oh s**t Toe sighting!
Hi Jeff!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ED5B7A61-6F99-4231-B0E8-7076DE805FCC.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	542081  
Old 03-05-2021, 05:44 AM   #24
HarleyonaHonda

Motorcycles: Hospitalized 2005 R6, 2010 Kawasaki Concours
Name: Harley
For those who have had negative experiences with FTD, have you communicated those concerns to Augie directly?

3/1/2021 was my first FTD event, and yes, it seemed like Sunday was a mad lad day to be sure. Of the instructors I spoke to, they both were friendly and helpful (Thanks, Alex). I feel like Augie did make a sincere attempt to remind riders to behave, but I was only present for the first half of the day.

For context, I binned my R6 (red cowl) on my sighting lap Monday morning. I learned that I should not have skipped the lead follow session considering I had never been on this track before (among other lesions). 100% my fault and 100% avoidable. Come to think of it, that’s every crash I’ve been in. On the plus side, I lost my fear of hitting the deck a while ago... Thankfully, Dave Moss was there to provide some valuable bike rebuilding advice. With all that being said, I have liked Zoom Zoom events the most overall.

Harley
HarleyonaHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:00 PM   #25
beje

Motorcycles: 959 Corse
Name:
I heard the red flag that blocked A group was due to an instructor hitting a guy in turn 7 during the B group session
beje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:13 PM   #26
Paulo666
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2013 Daytona 675
Name: Paul
I’ve done quite a few track days with FTD and loved it. I never do a season opener with any track day provider. I just think it’s to early in the season and it’s too cold and to many variables to crash. I like to wait till it warms up.
Paulo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #27
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Quote:
Basically, across all groups riders were going down - likely do to over excitement, a green track, and not minding tires - and people were slowing for yellow then being passed. Happened too many times, basically in all morning sessions, so they started black flagging for any infractions.

After 3x in a row...I didnít stick around to see if the riders figured it out, or if the instructors started picking off the specific offenders.
Sadly, as an instructor, this is not uncommon, but rather common on first and second trackdays on a cold track. No matter how much you tell people to slow down, and mention it in the rider meeting, they are simply going to crash. Seen it in every provider.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:28 AM   #28
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by beje View Post
I heard the red flag that blocked A group was due to an instructor hitting a guy in turn 7 during the B group session
I heard that Elvis was sighted in Las Vegas.

I hate to see people so ready to slam TDP's for perceived problems. Particularly when it's a rumor.

It's a hard business, and NOBODY is getting rich doing it. Maybe Keith Code makes some coin, none of the Bay Area trackday providers are buying mansions in Woodside. If you work at it hard, you can make a half decent amount of money. That's almost always under six figures, and is accompanied with lots of worry, grief, liability and risk, particularly the last one. Risk People get sued. It happens. See "Danny Kim Laguna."

Safety is paramount for all trackday providers. It's always a concern.

Last edited by afm199; 03-19-2021 at 10:38 AM..
afm199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #29
beje

Motorcycles: 959 Corse
Name:
IMHO TDP could reduce risk quite a bit not allowing random people to pick whichever group they want when booking. (then they make it hard moving during the same day even if there are available spots, how does this have any sense?)
Also enforcing the, already, lazy lap times (published in almost in every TDP website) would be also a good move.

I dont want to bash in general, but i can tell the experience i had overall is pretty good with Carters and PTT being the organizers IMHO stand out the most and with FTD trailing a bit behind.

Last edited by beje; 03-19-2021 at 10:58 AM..
beje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:16 AM   #30
Saxon

Motorcycles: triumph, suzuki
Name:
I have only done 5-6 track days with providers in the past 2 years - FTD, Carters, & PTT. I have not seen a pattern in incidents with the exception of February season, first session and last session of the day. The most friendly staff and instructors (Pete) were from FTDs and Augie is always responsive to my emails.

An older rider reminded me this week about how there were no Track Days when he was younger. I am fortunate and then to have choices on top of that!
Saxon is offline   Reply With Quote