Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #76
duh_ave
Veteran

Motorcycles: xr250l, cr250r, Ex AFM 933, 532, 49
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2shott View Post
the only way i've known to "get around back fees, etc" is to sign over title to friend at salvage yard, bike goes to salve title, then to you reg as new/salvaged bike. It will have to get a brake/light inspection and vehicle verification (maybe) but if you're like me, and are looking at around $600 in past reg fees on a bike that was free, you will always be looking for the cheap way out..... salvaged title is OK with me

Len, the idea of using a statement of facts to ditch the fees was a "hint" from a dmv clerk... dunno if it will fly yet. appointment later this week...

Ya, those brake pads get pretty expensive. That's part of what I meant about racing vs. just doing track days. Why waste a perfectly good brake pad if you aren't trying to win a trophy.

"It's frustrating if you're a microbe that's been wandering the Universe for a million years to then die striking the surface of Europa," --Dr Gladman
duh_ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #77
SikMoto
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Yup
Name: Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by duh_ave View Post
Len, the idea of using a statement of facts to ditch the fees was a "hint" from a dmv clerk... dunno if it will fly yet. appointment later this week...
Howd that work?
SikMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #78
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Mikezebub
I have a manufacturer certificate of origin bike has never been on the street or registered, can I get a transportation permit without getting anally raped by the DMV?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #79
tlthehun
knight in dented armor

Motorcycles: YZFR6-00, NSR50R-04, DRZ400SM-06
Name: Tom
I downloaded and printed the form REG 712 from DMV's website and took it to CSAA's DMV counter which was useless.

Being unwilling to spend 2 hours to, at and from a DMV building, I hit speakerphone and called DMV and was eventually advised to mail REG 712 to DMV, PO Box 94869, Sacramento, CA 94269 along with a check for $18.

Hopefully whomever receives it will know what to do with it, the phone tech didn't know what it was until today.
tlthehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #80
tlthehun
knight in dented armor

Here it is, one month later:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20100211164600 barf.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	330766  
Old 02-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #81
netjustin
garden knome

Contributor + +

Motorcycles: XT600E, RT180
Name: Justin
Thanks for the followup Tom. What is the actual size of the sticker? Where will you put yours?
netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #82
moond0ggie
Veteran

Motorcycles: '86 GSX-R1100 '82 Katana 1000 '81 Maico 490
Name: Ace S.
I don't think anyone has ever been hassled for transporting a non-registered bike on a trailor or pick-up truck.
This provision just looks like another way DMV can collect a fee concerning a motor vehicle.
I would ignore this feature, the "Transportation Permit".
moond0ggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #83
DucatiHoney

AMA #: 1028914
BARF Admin
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 1994 M900 Ducati
Name: Heather
I just went to the DMV for the second time for my latest track bike. I brought the same paperwork, but they wouldn't issue me a transportation permit this time. The gal at the counter said that I'd need to go through Sacramento, even though she had found the stickers in the back office and had the CVC stuff that I'd brought sitting in front of her. She said that all she could do from her office was to non-op the bike. I paid my fees and as I left she told me not to forget my sticker. I looked at her and asked, "Are you sure...?" She told me just to take it and not worry about contacting Sacramento. Cost ended up being the same to me: $18, one time fee.

s h e l t e r w e r k architecture.design
live::::work::::motorcycles
DucatiHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #84
netjustin
garden knome

Contributor + +

Quote:
Originally Posted by moond0ggie View Post
I don't think anyone has ever been hassled for transporting a non-registered bike on a trailor or pick-up truck.
This provision just looks like another way DMV can collect a fee concerning a motor vehicle.
I would ignore this feature, the "Transportation Permit".
If a cop knows his/her stuff and really doesn't like your Bush = Hitler bumper sticker, there could be much more than $18 to settle.

Sounds like cheap insurance to me.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #85
tlthehun
knight in dented armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjustin View Post
Thanks for the followup Tom. What is the actual size of the sticker? Where will you put yours?
It's about the size of a California Green Sticker, 3 1/2" wide x about 2 1/2".

My first choice was to offer it up as an emergency bikini bottom for my gf or perhaps as that plus a couple of pasties to be fully legal () but my Mototote is setup so that the front wheel rides left side of the truck so I attached the sticker to the left fork slider (lower leg, not as in frame or axle slider).

Given more patience, I might have decided on a different location but it's very unlikely that I'd ever swap to a more modern front end without getting the whole of the motorcycle that it is attached to and if I crash bad enough to need a new sticker, I'll have much bigger problems.

Last edited by tlthehun; 02-17-2010 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 02-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #86
netjustin
garden knome

Contributor + +

Nice. lol, kind of small for a 2pc bottom. But a fork bottom maybe the rear / inside part seems like a reasonable spot, unless you want high visibility in addition to easy access (here we go with bikini bottom again) in which case there are better spots.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #87
DucatiHoney

AMA #: 1028914
BARF Admin
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +

Motorcycles: 1994 M900 Ducati
Name: Heather
Nice try, spammer. Buh- bye.

s h e l t e r w e r k architecture.design
live::::work::::motorcycles
DucatiHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #88
westie64

Motorcycles: cbr929
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlthehun View Post
I downloaded and printed the form REG 712 from DMV's website and took it to CSAA's DMV counter which was useless.

Being unwilling to spend 2 hours to, at and from a DMV building, I hit speakerphone and called DMV and was eventually advised to mail REG 712 to DMV, PO Box 94869, Sacramento, CA 94269 along with a check for $18.

Hopefully whomever receives it will know what to do with it, the phone tech didn't know what it was until today.
do we write the check simply to DMV ?
westie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #89
TheRiddler
Riddle me this.

AMA #: 1099639
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Any of the two-wheeled kind.
Name: Matt
Did this today. Filled out form 712 and handed it to the clerk. After 20 minutes of the supervisor in the phone with Sac, I got my sticker. $18, they said they treat it like an Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) in their system.
2002 Honda CBR600F4i (track) | 2009 Suzuki GSXR-750

Current:
2009 Suzuki V-Strom 650
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #90
Noah's Dad
Benjamin Enzo's dad too!

Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: R6
Name:
DMV doesn't want my $18

So I tried to get the transportation permit last week at the DMV. A very nice employee and a just as nice supervisor spent 20 minutes trying to figure out what was needed (I brought the form filled out in advance but neither had seen it before). They found that the fee was $18 but they didn't have the sticker. They accepted my payment, gave me a receipt and said the sticker would arrive in a few weeks.

Imagine my surprise when I received a phone call today from the DMV. The supervisor was calling to tell me that the Sacramento office said they didn't have this type of permit and that they were issuing a refund for my $18. Apparently this isn't too high on DMV's list and since I've made a more than reasonable attempt to do what is right, I'll accept my $18 back and consider that I've done what I can to be in compliance.

Weirdest coincidence...as I was talking with the DMV representative I was attending a track day at Infineon: looking at my bike that, of course, was transported in the back of my truck.
Noah's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote