BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner

Notices

Old 03-01-2021, 07:14 PM   #1
Kneerider
Rookie

Motorcycles: All Italian, all the time...
Name:
Thumbs up AFM Open Twins: New Sponsor - Come Race With Us!

Hello AFM Racers,

BIG NEWS! We have an official sponsor for the Open Twins class at the AFM this year. My company, PeopleMovers, LLC will be sponsoring the class, and even providing a small contingency just to make it interesting. We're very excited to sponsor this class and partner with the AFM to drive interest in Open Twins and all the great machines that qualify for this event.

The Open Twins class has seen it's ups and downs in the last several years at the AFM, but we believe that with the proper focus - and you, the dedicated Open Twins racers - we can restore this class to the exciting, well attended, and highly competitive class that it always was.

I'm happy to report that the AFM has agreed with our efforts to rebuild the class, and we are all in this together. It promises to be some great racing in 2021, and with the incredible machines and talent in this class it will be a lot of fun. There will be an array of different brands and machines in this class including Ducati, KTM, Buell, Suzuki, and potentially others. We will also have a range of racing talent from the super fast front runners, to the rest of the field...all with the passion to race a twin. I can attest...there was great racing in this class in 2020 amongst many different positions in the race.

Please refer to the AFM Official Race Schedule, as this class has been placed in Race #6 on Sunday - just before lunch. We will be at a great time of day, where the track will be warm and the racing will be very good. Who knows, we may even see a lunch time podium at some point.

This is our personal invitation to all of you with a twin motorcycle to come race with us. GoGo, Tigre, Jimmy, Matt, Jon, Steve, Ladja, Nikolas, Dave, and all the rest of you...let's meet for some great racing in Buttonwillow to kick 2021 off right. The AFM is one of the premiere racing organizations in the country, with a long list of national and international race winners and champions. We are lucky to be a part of the AFM and our club needs our support now. This is one more opportunity to show how much we appreciate THEIR support and all the hard work they do to allow us to enjoy great racing. Let's really show our support in 2021.

Please post here if you plan on joining us, and we'll see you there!

PS: Please share this with all of your "Open Twins" eligible friends and let's make this grid what it should be.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:33 PM   #2
jbawden
Rookie

Motorcycles: Suzuki's, KTM, a Beta!
Name: Jon
I'm in! I was shopping for a variety of weapons and considered a Tuono Factory to get more dirt bike handlebars into the class (and win affection from GoGo), but decided if I was going to return to the "gentleman's class" it had to be on my championship winning TL1000R circa 2003. !Viva Open Twins!
jbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:19 AM   #3
FourThreeSix
Tall Guy on a Little Bike

Motorcycles: 2019 ZX-6Rrrrr
Name: Gordon
Thanks for supporting the club with this, Craig!
FourThreeSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #4
little_bro
Veteran

Motorcycles: yes
Name:
awesome stuff! working on finding a bike to try to make comeback - we'll see! :-)
little_bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:59 PM   #5
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Good for you guys!! Love to see support for the AFM.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #6
Gavin Botha
Rookie

BARF Sponsor
1% Contributor

Motorcycles: All
Name:
Craig, your passion and efforts to keep open twins going was a major reason I got a twin, so that I could join in the fun!

Thanks for the Sponsorship!
Gavin Botha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:56 PM   #7
Gravisman
Aspiring Racer

Contributor

Motorcycles: ZX-6R RSV4 Panigale 899 Ninja 300 FZ-07R
Name: Gravisman
Curious as a slow rookie this year, do twins in the 650cc range often enter open twins, or are they too outclassed to bother?

Motorcycles turn by harnessing the pure power of awesome directly from the soul of the multiverse. Motorcycles make physics their bitch.
Gravisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:18 PM   #8
jbawden
Rookie

Motorcycles: Suzuki's, KTM, a Beta!
Name: Jon
^^^technically you can enter OT on a small bore, but your skills probably need to be in the top percentile to overcome the meaningful gap in horsepower if your vision includes winning. AFM has a history of SV riders that could put a hurt on the OT class, but those folks are exceptional.
jbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:44 PM   #9
Kneerider
Rookie

Name:
Thumbs up Finally, a TL1000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbawden View Post
I'm in! I was shopping for a variety of weapons and considered a Tuono Factory to get more dirt bike handlebars into the class (and win affection from GoGo), but decided if I was going to return to the "gentleman's class" it had to be on my championship winning TL1000R circa 2003. !Viva Open Twins!
Jon,

I'm really happy to hear that you will be campaigining your championship winning Suzuki TL1000R this year. I hope that the grid will have many brands and interesting machines, as this is one of the things that makes Open Twins fun.

Thank you also for supporting our effort to rebuild Open Twins. I'm looking forward to seeing your success this year!

Last edited by Kneerider; 03-05-2021 at 10:45 PM..
Kneerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:47 PM   #10
Kneerider
Rookie

Name:
Smile Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravisman View Post
Curious as a slow rookie this year, do twins in the 650cc range often enter open twins, or are they too outclassed to bother?
Gravisman,

Come race with us - I see you have a Panigale 899 too...
Old 03-05-2021, 10:51 PM   #11
Kneerider
Rookie

Name:
Cool Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Botha View Post
Craig, your passion and efforts to keep open twins going was a major reason I got a twin, so that I could join in the fun!

Thanks for the Sponsorship!
Gavin,

Your choice to support the class on such a stellar machine was one of the most encouraging things I saw in 2020. We are SO happy that you've chosen to join the "Gentleman's Class." You will be a perennial front runner, no doubt. I hope you and GoGo provide some of the great battles we've seen you wage in other race classes.

I have a feeling this year is going to be very entertaining (and fulfilling) in Open Twins. Thanks again for your support and best of luck!

Last edited by Kneerider; 03-05-2021 at 11:03 PM..
Old 03-09-2021, 09:09 AM   #12
GPzPop
Ask me about my B-1-D

AMA #3295113
Contributor ++ 2%

Motorcycles: zzr & xsr
Name: Simon
This news is Awesome! My favorite class! (as a spectator and sometimes corner worker)
GPzPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:17 PM   #13
Tigre13
Now w/ 33% more "stripe"!

Resident Tiger
Contributor

Motorcycles: '12 1199RS, '12 1198GRS (retired), '00 M944s (original TigerBike)
Name: Steve
Woot!
AFM #13
Special Thanks:
Boulder Motor Sports
Tigre13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:52 PM   #14
GoGo
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: KTM 1290 SDR
Name:
I hate to sound like my grandmother, but you're a blessing brother. Thank you sincerely for the work you do for Open Twins.

I am in and I can hardly wait.

Open Twins has produced some epic battles both in and for the AFM. I personally have both won and lost Open Twins races by half a front wheel. I have passed and been passed for the lead 6 or 7 times in just one race. I have tormented and been tormented by competitors on and off the track, in the pits, on the way home, online - you name it. All in fun, all very enjoyable, but don't let the laughter disguise the inner demons driving us all to compete.

Twin cylinder motorcycles do something different to your soul. They are unique. They are sometimes hand made. They are almost always heavily modified. And personally, howling around turn 3 at 11,000rpm feels nothing like thundering through it at 7. Those pulses of power, the grip they produce, and the pounding you feel in your chest. It's hard to tell which comes from your heart or the machine it is wrapped around.

Yes. Open Twins, 2021. Right smack in the middle of any Sunday on the AFM schedule.
GoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:32 PM   #15
Kneerider
Rookie

Name:
Thumbs up Way to GoGo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo View Post
I hate to sound like my grandmother, but you're a blessing brother. Thank you sincerely for the work you do for Open Twins.

I am in and I can hardly wait.

Open Twins has produced some epic battles both in and for the AFM. I personally have both won and lost Open Twins races by half a front wheel. I have passed and been passed for the lead 6 or 7 times in just one race. I have tormented and been tormented by competitors on and off the track, in the pits, on the way home, online - you name it. All in fun, all very enjoyable, but don't let the laughter disguise the inner demons driving us all to compete.

Twin cylinder motorcycles do something different to your soul. They are unique. They are sometimes hand made. They are almost always heavily modified. And personally, howling around turn 3 at 11,000rpm feels nothing like thundering through it at 7. Those pulses of power, the grip they produce, and the pounding you feel in your chest. It's hard to tell which comes from your heart or the machine it is wrapped around.

Yes. Open Twins, 2021. Right smack in the middle of any Sunday on the AFM schedule.
GoGo,

Thank you for being one of the most consistently passionate racers of all time. Your influence on and contribution to the Open Twins class is unlike anyone else. The great racing that you and other top competitors have provided have been some of the best I can recall.

I am passionate about the Open Twins class as well, and I'm so happy to see both old and new racers planning to show up and make this a great year for the class. We've set the stage for some great racing, with a good schedule and new interest. Thank you for being a great ambassador for this "Gentleman's Class." Hopefully, this will lead to some great race reports for your blog.

It's only 10 days away...FINALLY!

Last edited by Kneerider; 03-10-2021 at 04:34 PM..