BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Notices

Old 06-29-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
Mini14

Motorcycles: KLR650 (A14), R1200RT
Name:
Help! KLR650 Electrical

I'm supposed to be on a weeklong motorcycle trip with my daughter (she's on a DR200) starting today. We left and stopped on Redwood Gulch before 9. My bike dies and there is no electrical at the dash. Could be a bad ignition switch? I'm desperately trying to troubleshoot at home in Mountain View now. Fuses under the seat check out fine. If you can help it would be greatly appreciated. I will be in the garage...
Thanks,
Steve

UPDATE: Although battery voltage showed normal, the charger complained. I replaced the battery and we will be on our way.

Last edited by Mini14; 06-29-2019 at 05:10 PM..
Mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
Numbers McGee

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 85 GPZ900R
Name:
Check battery cables are tight. Work downstream from that (starter relay, fuse box, etc)
295566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #3
mototireguy
Moto Tire Veteran

Valgar beer donor
Contributor +

Motorcycles: FJR13 - XR650L - Madass 125
Name: Robbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini14 View Post
UPDATE: Although battery voltage showed normal, the charger complained. I replaced the battery and we will be on our way.
#1 Good that new battery solved the issue and you're rolling.

#2 "Battery Voltage Normal" is unhelpful info. Actual battery voltage number readings way more insightful.

- Key off voltage number ?
- Key on voltage number ?
- Bike running voltage number ?

Please share these numbers with us in order to help you prevent flushing your new $100 battery down the drain and any future dead battery episodes.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototireguy View Post
#1 Good that new battery solved the issue and you're rolling.

#2 "Battery Voltage Normal" is unhelpful info. Actual battery voltage number readings way more insightful.

- Key off voltage number ?
- Key on voltage number ?
- Bike running voltage number ?

Please share these numbers with us in order to help you prevent flushing your new $100 battery down the drain and any future dead battery episodes.
This!

OP: If it's a charging system problem, you'll just end up with another dead battery and be stuck somewhere. Those simple voltage checks can be critical to knowing the full scope of the problem.

Get yourself a small pocket multi meter and keep it on the bike.

Every bike should have one for trouble shooting.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
bobl
Veteran

Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: ZX6 Kawasaki
Name:
You definitely need to check your charging circuit before you leave, or like ST Guy said, you will be stranded when you run out of battery power. A cheap multimeter can be had a harbor freight for about 10 dollars, or any hardware store for less than 20. Hook the meter to your battery, read voltage, start motor. Is voltage increasing to about 14 volts with motor at 4000 or so? If it's not increasing, but losing voltage while running, you have a charging problem, and should see the sticky here. Again, if it's not charging, you will be stranded when you run out of juice.

Want some "get homes"? Pull the fuses for your lights, and don't use you signals. Push start the bike. If riding with another bike, and the batteries will fit each other, trade batteries, push start BOTH bikes and let the other bike charge your batterie while you run down theirs, then repeat. Find a charger and recharge your battery, again no lights, etc. Pulling all unnecessary to run fuses will get you a lot farther, as will push starting. Good luck, and check the charging circuit before you leave.
bobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #6
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
I knew a guy once who had his charging system die on a ride across country. Rather than try to fix it on the road, he bought a fully charged car battery, a battery box to put it in, and a AC battery charger. He put the battery in the battery box and stopped it to the passenger seat. He then disconnected the bike's battery and also the headlight. That gave him enough juice to ride all day and in the evening, when he stopped at a motel for the night, he brought the battery in and charged it up over night. He repeated this and in a week he was back home.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 06-30-2019, 04:29 PM   #7
SFMCjohn

AMA #2917550
BARF Moderator: Vintage Cafe & Adventure Riding
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor +++++ 1%

Motorcycles: KLR, K75s, TR7V, FXSB
Name: John A.
+1 on all the good info here ...

just a data point: think the pre-gen KLR in his avatar has an ignition system that will still provide a spark even though the battery is dead (‘09 and later KLRs have a different ignition and need a battery, I think) ...

be fun to hear if it was just a tired battery ... last time my pre-gen KLR had a dead dash/no start it was a loose battery cable, but sounds like you’d have sorted that back in the garage ...

edit: back in the day some of my vintage buddies could get further down the road with 6 volt lantern batteries from the hardware store ...
IBA#4200 - Let's Ride!: BARF Ride Reports Index

Last edited by SFMCjohn; 06-30-2019 at 04:56 PM..
SFMCjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:10 PM   #8
DanvilleDSRider
OldnSlow

Motorcycles: 2003 KLX400 2003 DL1000
Name: Bill
It was a 7 year old battery he had in bike, Andy @ SBR reached out to him via phone and help him, now his daughters bike tipped over and and the start button broke.... this is not the way I'd want to start a road trip.
DanvilleDSRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:53 PM   #9
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
......edit: back in the day some of my vintage buddies could get further down the road with 6 volt lantern batteries from the hardware store ...
Ha! You just dated yourself!

Old 09-21-2020, 10:41 PM   #10
Mini14

Motorcycles: KLR650 (A14), R1200RT
Name:
Just to finish this up... The KLR battery worked fine and has been going strong for the last year. We trailered my daughterís bike home and determined it was the switch in the clutch lever. We were able to get it working well enough to restart the trip. Trailered her bike to Monterey and started from there as we were a day behind. Rode to SLO along Highway 1 and then on to Santa Barbara. It took us about 5 days to go down and back. We got lost a couple of times but had a great time after a very rough start. I have since replaced the clutch lever and havenít had any starting issues with the DR200. Allís well that ends well...

Thanks,
Steven
Mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:04 AM   #11
Eric B
Know-it-none

Motorcycles: KLE, KLX, KDX, SRX, Evo
Name: Eric
Eric B is offline   Reply With Quote