BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Sponsors > The Suspension Forum Presented by GP Suspension

Notices

Old 03-24-2021, 06:54 PM   #16
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
120/420 and 190/420 (16.5). These are Pirelli's.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #17
Tally Whacker
Not another Mike

Motorcycles: BMW S1000R
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
120/420 and 190/420 (16.5). These are Pirelli's.
Pirellis? What model are they? I was under the impression they'd DCed 16.5.
Tally Whacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:07 PM   #18
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +

These are new production, made at our request. Not sure if they'll do that again. They're Super Corsa slicks.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Old 03-26-2021, 05:18 PM   #19
Tally Whacker
Not another Mike

Name:
So a quick (brusque might be a better word) conversation with Race Tech tells us that they no longer offer any sort of chassis setup work, at all. And they can't be bothered to try to find any records they may have on the bike's original setup, which they did when the bike was built a dozen years ago. Simply not interested in being helpful in any way.

So we are on our own for figuring out what it is that we've got.

First step- new tires. Ordered.
Second step- take it in to Lee's for a spring swap.
Third step-???
Old 03-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #20
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +

You're trying to sort out the fork too? What year Marzocchi is it? Question: how much are you willing to throw at it? We know people who have been at racetech forever, but they probably won't remember what they put on it. If you want to sort the suspension, take off the fork/ shock and send it out to a shop who does custom work. They'll be able to figure some things out for you...but nothing's for free.

There's lots of people that can help, but I'd still start with Gerry at GP frame and wheel and get some chassis numbers correct first, then rear spring. Forks are the last thing I'd do...

AFM #6 2020
Old 03-29-2021, 11:17 AM   #21
Tally Whacker
Not another Mike

Name:
I think the fork isn’t a problem at the moment. At least, not an overriding problem, but it will need to be sorted out at some point.
It’s the original supermoto spec Marzocchi, which RaceTech shortened the travel on- and who knows what else they did. But a spring swap should be easy enough.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:21 AM   #22
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Tally, since you are in San Diego, Id call Quintin at NextLevelCycles and ask him if he has an experience with these bikes or if he knows anyone that does. If that doesn't produce a lead, broaden your search and keep calling people until it does. Phone calls are free and you will save a lot of money and time if you can find someone that already knows a reasonable baseline setup for these bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
You're trying to sort out the fork too? What year Marzocchi is it? Question: how much are you willing to throw at it? We know people who have been at racetech forever, but they probably won't remember what they put on it. If you want to sort the suspension, take off the fork/ shock and send it out to a shop who does custom work. They'll be able to figure some things out for you...but nothing's for free.

There's lots of people that can help, but I'd still start with Gerry at GP frame and wheel and get some chassis numbers correct first, then rear spring. Forks are the last thing I'd do...
Do you think Gerry actually has "correct" chassis numbers for such a frankenbike?

As TWF already said, sportbike numbers won't work.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:37 PM   #23
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +

I don't think he'll have the numbers in a book, no, but he's built his fair share of frakenbikes (used to be co-owner of Motomorphic). His unique focus is on chassis measurements/ straightening so he should know a baseline for geometry numbers to get Tally into a usable range.

As you know, you've gotta get geometry correct first then move to springs rates, etc. Speaking of...I need to update our other thread on BW T2.

AFM #6 2020
Old 03-29-2021, 06:06 PM   #24
Tally Whacker
Not another Mike

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
Tally, since you are in San Diego, Id call Quintin at NextLevelCycles and ask him if he has an experience with these bikes or if he knows anyone that does. If that doesn't produce a lead, broaden your search and keep calling people until it does. Phone calls are free and you will save a lot of money and time if you can find someone that already knows a reasonable baseline setup for these bikes.

Do you think Gerry actually has "correct" chassis numbers for such a frankenbike?

As TWF already said, sportbike numbers won't work.

Jeremy T has already expressed a serious lack of interest in even looking at it, but I'm hoping we can twist his arm. I hadn't really thought of Quinten, even though I just saw him last month for the first time in a long while.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #25
Tally Whacker
Not another Mike

Name:
Ok- we dropped the bike off at Lee’s this morning. Hopefully Jody and Jeremy can figure out the rear shock issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82F6911E-3985-4ACA-8467-62206F64447D.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	542888