BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Notices

Old 04-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #31
Frame Maker
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: sportbikes, dirtbikes, and some odd bikes that I've built myself.
Name: Julian
Perfect do-all motorcycle... Start with a road race frame so that you have a good solid foundation, but relax the geometry a bit so it isn't too twitchy in the dirt. Then I'm thinking 500cc twin so it has enough power to cruise down the freeway and enough grunt for off-road situations, but otherwise not too heavy. Probably want long-travel suspension for rough terrain. Certainly 21 and 18 inch wheels so you have both on and off road tire options. Comfy ergonomics are a must. Good lighting for night time adventures. And a basic utility rack for minimal over-night gear. Done!

20171008_182128 by andbike, on Flickr

20171013_161313 by andbike, on Flickr

20171015_084835 by andbike, on Flickr
Frame Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:34 PM   #32
TwoWheelsRule
Russian

Motorcycles: KLR650
Name: Vlad
That low exhaust would make me nervous! My KLR skid play has played the role of of rock-roller many times, so I find it hard to imagine doing similar rides in above! Also, exposed oil filter is asking for a kicked up stone to pierce it...

I'll stick with my el burro KLR....

Last edited by TwoWheelsRule; 04-17-2021 at 04:37 PM..
TwoWheelsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:18 PM   #33
SVsick50
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Contributor

Motorcycles: BMX, 1987 Honda Super Magna VF700C
Name: Dion
I think the answer to this thread is long travel suspension and on and off road capabilities.

Thus, my 1987 Honda Magna shall do.
SVsick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:20 PM   #34
Frame Maker
Veteran

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheelsRule View Post
That low exhaust would make me nervous! My KLR skid play has played the role of of rock-roller many times, so I find it hard to imagine doing similar rides in above! Also, exposed oil filter is asking for a kicked up stone to pierce it...

I'll stick with my el burro KLR....
I think the original question was: "What's your favourite do it all motorcycle?"... not bash on the other guy's bike. Always a fucking critic in every crowd
Old 04-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #35
ilikefood
Veteran

Motorcycles: Suzuki DR-Z400SM, Ducati Multistrada 1100S
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVsick50 View Post
When I had the DRZ, it was hell on the freeway. PURE HELL. I remember being passed by an old woman who was like 100 yrs old. in a 90’s Toyota Corolla.
How fast was she going? My DRZ-SM certainly isn't great or comfortable on the highway, but it will go 80+ mph. Though of course it doesn't accelerate very hard. It sounds like it's about to fall apart at that speed but that's normal. With stock gearing, the redline in 5th gear is somewhere north of 100 mph.
ilikefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:58 PM   #36
ilikefood
Veteran

Motorcycles: Suzuki DR-Z400SM, Ducati Multistrada 1100S
Name:
Probably KTM 790 Adventure with 17" wheels. Or perhaps a 790 Duke, though city riding requires longer-travel suspension. I have 2 bikes - a Multi 1100S for longer highway trips (including a 54-mile roundtrip commute back when commuting was a thing), and a DRZ-SM for the city. I think the 790 Adventure would do both reasonably well. But of course multiple bikes are MUCH better!
ilikefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:43 PM   #37
sk8norcal
Veteran

Motorcycles: CRF250L
Name: Henry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frame Maker View Post
Perfect do-all motorcycle... Start with a road race frame so that you have a good solid foundation, but relax the geometry a bit so it isn't too twitchy in the dirt. Then I'm thinking 500cc twin so it has enough power to cruise down the freeway and enough grunt for off-road situations, but otherwise not too heavy. Probably want long-travel suspension for rough terrain. Certainly 21 and 18 inch wheels so you have both on and off road tire options. Comfy ergonomics are a must. Good lighting for night time adventures. And a basic utility rack for minimal over-night gear. Done!
very cool!
what is the weight?

I have seen guys take a cb500x engine and stick it in a CRF250L! (requires cutting the frame)
sk8norcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:13 PM   #38
SVsick50
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Contributor

Motorcycles: BMX, 1987 Honda Super Magna VF700C
Name: Dion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikefood View Post
How fast was she going? My DRZ-SM certainly isn't great or comfortable on the highway, but it will go 80+ mph. Though of course it doesn't accelerate very hard. It sounds like it's about to fall apart at that speed but that's normal. With stock gearing, the redline in 5th gear is somewhere north of 100 mph.
Yeah, it was okay, but a 200lb rider on 400cc’s at that gearing just kinda sucked.
SVsick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:23 PM   #39
Frame Maker
Veteran

Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8norcal View Post
very cool!
what is the weight?

I have seen guys take a cb500x engine and stick it in a CRF250L! (requires cutting the frame)
Thanks! glad you like it.

I haven't had a chance to weigh it, but its based on a road race bike that originally weighed around 325 dry. So just guessing I'd say its probably a bit over 400, but that's a guess.

The CB500 + CRF250 sound like a great combo. I've always been fascinated with street bikes turned into dirt bikes. A few years back there was company making adventure bikes out of older Ducati Monsters. To me that just sounds so fun!

My bike was cobbled together in 60 days for the Dirtbag Challenge so it's far from ideal, but still super fun to ride.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:32 PM   #40
kuksul08
Suh Dude

Motorcycles: Whee!
Name:
It's the VStrom 650 and anyone who suggests otherwise is wrong.

Really though, it's a good balance and quite a bargain.

If money and reliability are no object, probably one of them european adv bikes as suggested above, or the yamaha T7.

Last edited by kuksul08; 04-18-2021 at 06:35 PM..
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:49 PM   #41
thepretender
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 S1000R 2014 VFR800
Name: Doug
8th gen VFR800 just can't be beat for all around but in the twisties I want my BMW S1000 under me
Old 04-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #42
buellistic
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: kool loud one + 11 more
Name:
The drz Wins again..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210418-195625_Gallery.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	543121  
buellistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:55 PM   #43
1footdown
a little gimpy

Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Name:
for me, it would be any moto with a standard clutch/transmission. i just really enjoy the process of whacking the throttle open, feel the rpms climb, clutch in, shift, clutch out, and then repeat.

i had a very serious back/leg/hip issue. so much that I bought an automatic car. i ended up getting my ninja 650 here on barf several months later, not knowing if i could even manage balancing the bike, or lifting my leg to shift. Test ride worked out fine- so i was beyond stoked.

The Ninja 650 ain't too sexy, sounds like a sewing machine (some people say), not smooth nor fast like my old Honda F2. but i can wring the throttle and upshift, downshift and i just really enjoy that part of riding a moto. i'm sure that electric moto or nc700dct are fun in their own rights, but also knowing that clutch riding / driving is a dying art. And I'm going to keep doing it as long as I can.
1footdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:49 AM   #44
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 790 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frame Maker View Post
I've always been fascinated with street bikes turned into dirt bikes. A few years back there was company making adventure bikes out of older Ducati Monsters. To me that just sounds so fun!
Terra Mostro

Old 04-19-2021, 08:28 AM   #45
ZagiFlyer
Rookie

Contributor +

Motorcycles: 2020 V-Strom 650 XT
Name: Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
It's the VStrom 650 and anyone who suggests otherwise is wrong.

Really though, it's a good balance and quite a bargain.
I agree about the 'Strom, although my previous bike was a heavily modded DR650 and it's also a serious contender. It just depends on whether you intend to go *really* off-road, or just "a little" off-road.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

--Hunter Thompson
ZagiFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote