Notices

Old 04-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #16
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 2020 300 XC-W TPI
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmoochr View Post
I sold my 550 almost a decade ago, but from what I recall, nothing other than the motor bits. 450cc class and unlimited class if you wanted to race them. I don't really know why they went bigger and smaller. Some people said 550 was a better street machine? It was still insane and terrible on the freeway, so I don't imagine the 450 was a much different experience.

They're both fucking bonkers, if you have no qualms with ignoring the laws of the road or self preservation do it. It was easier to ride my Z1000 in a sane manner...
Agreed, both nuts. I believe the 550 was a bored out 450 so it apparently why it was blowing head gaskets by putting the bore much too close to either the coolant or oil passage ways. So 450 is supposed to be the robust one. 550 was HORRIBLE on constant rpm rides even for like 30 minutes. Made me feel guilty about it. Bike loved to be revved, not constant high way speed.

My 550 nearly killed me. Loved every second except for the one that sent me to the hospital. Sold mine in 2015 or so to a guy in the north east, Carbon fiber BST wheels, some trick goodies with potential blown head gasket and salvage title from when I dumped it bad then rebuilt it.

Last edited by KooLaid; 04-17-2021 at 02:03 PM..
KooLaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:40 AM   #17
evermore
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2015 MV Agusta Brutale 800RR 2002 Yamaha YZ250 Prior: 1989 Honda Hawk GT 2003 Kawasaki Z1000 2009
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmoochr View Post
I sold my 550 almost a decade ago, but from what I recall, nothing other than the motor bits. 450cc class and unlimited class if you wanted to race them. I don't really know why they went bigger and smaller. Some people said 550 was a better street machine? It was still insane and terrible on the freeway, so I don't imagine the 450 was a much different experience.

They're both fucking bonkers, if you have no qualms with ignoring the laws of the road or self preservation do it. It was easier to ride my Z1000 in a sane manner...
Does anyone know what happened to these 450cc/550cc v-twin engines? I dont see any subsequent models. Were they just discontinued and forgotten? I still think such small and lightweight v-twins producing 70hp are compelling.

I bought one of these new in 2006 but had to return it under the lemon law because they could not find a replacement alternator.
evermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #18
Scandalous
Just some rando

3% Contributor

Motorcycles: Yup
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post
Does anyone know what happened to these 450cc/550cc v-twin engines? I dont see any subsequent models. Were they just discontinued and forgotten? I still think such small and lightweight v-twins producing 70hp are compelling.

I bought one of these new in 2006 but had to return it under the lemon law because they could not find a replacement alternator.
I don't think it's possible to answer your question here without impinging on the OP's ability to sell the bike, which is potentially a violation of forum rules AFAIK. Instead, start a new thread or see for example the New Bikes thread in the General subforum for some relevant tidbits.
Scandalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #19
kingmoochr
WHARRGARBL

Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: HDFLHRI KTM200EXC
Name: Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by evermore View Post

The short answer is they're plated race bikes in a genre that basically never grew in the US. Compounded with them being produced by a small european manufacturer during a major economic downturn.

That's a global answer without touching on model specifics.

It's a unique bike that fits a small niche. If you're just trying to decide if you want something like that because reasons, do it. It's the best "because reasons" bike you could ride.
kingmoochr is offline   Reply With Quote