"Insignificant Other"

2006 Barfie
Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: yes
Name: Aris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot
Right. Everything STC'd, etc. I find it surprising the FAA wouldn't know the existence of the MACS system at all. It's referenced in the certified type's manuals, isn't it?

I waited until I got a chance to watch the Frontline vid before responding here. This is the one key point that came out in the vid. Boeing pushed hard for any mention of the MCAS system to be left off the manuals because this would trigger additional FAA scrutiny AND additional pilot training. And, they succeeded because at the time, the MCAS system was a small. But, afterward, the system got expanded to further control some minor fluctuations during takeoff, and the original control limits of the MCAS system were greatly increased. Previously, MCAS only kicked in when the planes were well off the ground. The change allowed it to kick in on takeoff, which didn’t allow for as much time for the pilots to fix things if the MCAS system shit the bed.

The guy who made the request to leave the MCAS off manuals had old information and didn’t know that the system had been dangerously expanded. I think the reason he is being prosecuted is that after he found out that the MCAS system was bigger and more dangerous than he thought, he did not go back to the FAA and change his request.

The video actually showed messages where he actually said, “Well, you guys just made me lie to the FAA” after he found out about the bigger MCAS system.

The Boeing Management already committed to Southwest that they would get a $1 million refund on ever plane that needed additional pilot training. So, there was a lot of motivation to keep MCAS out of the manual. The chief pilot should have acted in the interest of safety. Instead, he towed the company line and got people killed.

Martin Dykier (1975-2003)

Last edited by wannabe; Yesterday at 01:35 PM..
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM   #362
Holeshot
Super Moderator

Barf Racer
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Once again, you've given me great info! Thanks Aris.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #363
wannabe
"Insignificant Other"

2006 Barfie
Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: yes
Name: Aris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Once again, you've given me great info! Thanks Aris.

In case you missed it and didnít know what everyone is referencing, itís this Frontline video. I waited to watch it because I figured that it was going to just talk about the random stuff I already knew about the fall of Boeing. I was wrong. There was a lot more key information in this video that totally changed my understanding of the situation that lead to the two plane crashes.

I donít blame the FAA on this one. Congress mandated that they allow Boeing to do more of their own certifications. Trust was broken. Rules are going to change because of it.

As for the guy being a fall guy, the buck needed to stop somewhere. It was his job to tell the truth to the FAA. He did not. People died. And the company was already found guilty and had to pay $2.5 billion. Just because they are prosecuting this guy doesnít mean that the justice department is going to stop with just him. So, I donít consider him the fall guy.

youtu.be/wXMO0bhPhCw

Martin Dykier (1975-2003)
wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote