BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Notices

Old 04-20-2021, 02:11 PM   #1
5150ninja
Veteran

AMA #: 2956700

Motorcycles: 2018 Goldwing, Green Concours C10, No not that one, the other green one.
Name: Ianz Crazy
Highway 36 and other NorCal roads

I'm on vacation this week and wanted to do a NorCal coastal ride for a few days. Is highway 36 all burned out? I'm looking for intel and recon on conditions and advice for any and all of the NorCal.

Thanks for any input!
5150ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:16 PM   #2
kneedraggeroldy
Rookie

Motorcycles: FJR1300 R6 KLX300R
Name: Michael
Check with Caltrans but 36 is not to be missed. We have done this several times and the last couple years are they have been working at the top and has been dirt....but one could peel off to HWY 3 and then to coast and is just as good with that and maybe a little 299.......we have led a group for overnighter last three years to Crescent city and have not been disappointed. Have fun ��
kneedraggeroldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:49 AM   #3
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
Name: Steve
299 is wonderful on weekdays. Cut off on Hwy 3 North to Gazelle for a gorgeous view of Mt Shasta. Or continue on 299 out to Burney, then 89 South to 44 and ride through Lassen Park. You come out back on 36 then , either west back to Red Bluff or East to Lake Almanor.

Mad
Old 04-21-2021, 10:12 AM   #4
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
For an epic loop, from 5 ride 36 west until you get to 3. Then go north all the way to 5 again. Continue on 5 for about 12 miles, as I recall, and then head west and south on 96 for the most amazing road in California. Consider spending the night at the inn at Hoopa. Then continue south to 299 and head west to 101. Then south on 101 to 36 and take 36 east back to 5.

You'll remember the ride the remainder of your life.

FYI, 299 is highly overrated and does have traffic.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:50 PM   #5
RWMaverick
Rookie

Motorcycles: 1992 Honda Nighthawk 750, 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Track Bike
Name: Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Guy View Post
For an epic loop, from 5 ride 36 west until you get to 3. Then go north all the way to 5 again. Continue on 5 for about 12 miles, as I recall, and then head west and south on 96 for the most amazing road in California. Consider spending the night at the inn at Hoopa. Then continue south to 299 and head west to 101. Then south on 101 to 36 and take 36 east back to 5.

You'll remember the ride the remainder of your life.

FYI, 299 is highly overrated and does have traffic.
I just plugged this into Google Maps. Wow. I've done several of these roads individually and I can imagine this being one hell of a weekend trip!
RWMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:15 AM   #6
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWMaverick View Post
I just plugged this into Google Maps. Wow. I've done several of these roads individually and I can imagine this being one hell of a weekend trip!
If you've never ridden 96, do so. And it's all easily done on a weekend with an early start out of the Bay Area and spend the night in Red Bluff. Saturday you ride 36, 3, and most of 96 and spend he night at the Hoopa Indian inn. Grab something to eat and drink from the market and go out behind the inn to consume by the river. Maybe go for a swim. Sunday takes you back home via 96, 299, 101, and all of 36.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 04-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #7
Dennis D.
Rookie

Motorcycles: ,RGV250, Street Triple R, Speed Triple R, Caponord 1200, Multi 1260S
Name:
just go

I rode 36, 299 and 3 over Easter weekend. Other than a couple flaggers on 36 all where clean and traffic was surprisingly light. I agree that most of 299 is a nice scenic road but not that exciting at legal speeds. Hwy 3 and 96 are way more fun. Mornings where quite cool over the pass on 3, my dash kept flashing ice warnings and 31 degrees but roads were dry.
Dennis D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:03 PM   #8
RWMaverick
Rookie

Motorcycles: 1992 Honda Nighthawk 750, 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Track Bike
Name: Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Guy View Post
If you've never ridden 96, do so. And it's all easily done on a weekend with an early start out of the Bay Area and spend the night in Red Bluff. Saturday you ride 36, 3, and most of 96 and spend he night at the Hoopa Indian inn. Grab something to eat and drink from the market and go out behind the inn to consume by the river. Maybe go for a swim. Sunday takes you back home via 96, 299, 101, and all of 36.
That's the one I haven't done! Thanks for the tips, I'm going to follow them to the T haha.
RWMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #9
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWMaverick View Post
That's the one I haven't done! Thanks for the tips, I'm going to follow them to the T haha.
Take plenty of pix and write up a trip report!

Old 04-24-2021, 06:09 AM   #10
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
299 is wonderful on weekdays. Cut off on Hwy 3 North to Gazelle for a gorgeous view of Mt Shasta. Or continue on 299 out to Burney, then 89 South to 44 and ride through Lassen Park. You come out back on 36 then , either west back to Red Bluff or East to Lake Almanor.

Mad
Lassen has still winter closure as of today. Haven't checked the amounts of snow this year, so not sure when passes will open up.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:57 AM   #11
Lonster
GaMMa RaNGeR

AMA #: 305491
Budman's errand boy
Barf Brick and smoking Contributor

Motorcycles: RG500 Gamma, 2020 KTM 890 Duke R, Lucky Strike 750, RD400, 525EXC-G SM
Name: Lonster
I've been riding 36 for a few weekends now. Early mornings can be cold, but the afternoons heat up between 60 to 75 degrees. There is still some construction, but nothing that will stop you for more than a few minutes at a single lane signal. ST's route is a very good way of hitting almost all the main roads in a weekend, but if you can get back up here for the HOHO Barf rally at the end of July, you can also ride a bunch of the smaller off shoots around Weaverville too.
299 is for tourists, cops and RV's. 36 is for the rest of us.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”
— Hunter S. Thompson
Lonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #12
ST Guy
Veteran

Name:
And, of course, when stopped for construction, always mosey up to the front so you have road ahead of you free of traffic when you're let go.

Old 04-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #13
Canyon Dancer
Rookie

Motorcycles: 93 VFR750,02 800VFR,02 CBR954(all sold) currently,2006 Honda CBR1000RR
Name: Gary
Smile Weaverville

I just road to Weaverville Wednesday 36, Wildwood Road,3,299.
36 is fine
Canyon Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote