Net-Moto :: Community :: Racing :: :: Racing Videos Sponsor :: Contact
 Forums   Features   Trackdays   Moto Crash Incidents   Race Team   CMSP Training   Sponsors      Donate   Terms of Service 
BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum  Home   UserCP   Register   Calendar   Members   FAQ   Search  AMA

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Community > Kitchen Sink

Old 01-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #1
asdfghwy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Fast one
Name:
Real Estate License

Has anyone done this online? Is in-class better?

My little brother needs some direction and I don't believe university is for him. He has a great mouthpiece and I believe he could succeed in real estate, so I've offered to pay for his courses and prep--he says hes ready.

realestateexpresss.com seems like the major player so does anyone have any experience with them or have recommendations on other ways to go? He's a visual learner so anything with an emphasis on that would be ideal.

I'm about to pull the trigger on it but figured I'd ask here in case anyone has experience
asdfghwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
jt2
Eschew Obfuscation

AMA #: 777139
Contributor + + + +

Motorcycles: R1200GS
Name: Jeff
Just a thought - Has he talked to any brokerages on what their hiring policy is for new associates? Might be worth doing before committing to a school.
“There is a tendency on the left, to think if someone in any way disagrees with the left it must be for the lowest possible reason and if you found the lowest possible motive you have found the right one.... It is actually a very sick mentality and very widespread.”
- Christopher Hitchens
------------------------------------------------------------
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
- Noam Chomsky
---------------------------------------------------
jt2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
kingmoochr
WHARRGARBL

Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: HDFLHRI KTM200EXC
Name: Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2 View Post
Just a thought - Has he talked to any brokerages on what their hiring policy is for new associates? Might be worth doing before committing to a school.
Good idea, sort of like getting a bunch of mechanic certifications... doesn't mean you're a good mechanic and lots of independents don't hire off them.
kingmoochr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motatoe
Name: Heyou
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmoochr View Post
Good idea, sort of like getting a bunch of mechanic certifications... doesn't mean you're a good mechanic and lots of independents don't hire off them.
That's right. A friend of mine applied at a specialty auto shop. The owner didn't care about certs, he just said, show me your hands!
ctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #5
JesasaurusRex
Veteran

Contributor ++++++++

Motorcycles: Are Gay
Name: Rex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post
That's right. A friend of mine applied at a specialty auto shop. The owner didn't care about certs, he just said, show me your hands!

soliqsoliq - "Miatas can be cool I like to think of my bike as the Miata of motorcycles--underpowered and often considered a chick's vehicle..."
JesasaurusRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #6
Xenophonii
RIP Bunny

Founding Member

Motorcycles: SV650S
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2 View Post
Some brokers will assist and train new associates. I didn't have that option but it is very much worth looking into.
Xenophonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
Xenophonii
RIP Bunny

Founding Member

Name:
I have done it online, I think that I would have had a better time taking classes just for the slower pace in absorbing so much material. It depends on how disciplined your brother is. Then again, I had to do it in less than 6 months (while working full time) due to a situation at my job so it was a lot of work. It's gonna be a grind, and the license covers a lot of topics - loans, zoning, house styles, legal, etc, etc, etc. I think the books alone were over 1,500 pages in total. I supplemented the course with a lot of videos and other media/study partners. Once he gets the license, he will have to renew it (and take tests again at CalBRE) every few years.

If he is looking to be an actual sales person, then he needs to understand that he will have to support himself for about a year without any real money coming in whilst paying desk fees etc. As Kingmoochr points out, getting the license doesn't translate into experience and brokers know that. He will start at the very bottom. It's not for the feint of heart. There are other opportunities in the field as well (appraising, support, etc). It would be good for him to talk to an actual real estate salesperson or broker and get a feel for how the industry works.

Last edited by Xenophonii; 01-15-2019 at 05:38 PM..
Old 01-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #8
Xenophonii
RIP Bunny

Founding Member

Name:
Oh yeah, sorry to be a post whore but the real estate license is a professional license so they will do a background check and finger print you. Have a record that shows a lack of ethics/convictions etc. and guess what, you passed the test but you may not get the license. I guess that makes sense when you are making transactions in the hundred of thousands of dollars or more
Old 01-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #9
Reli
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: motorcycles
Name: reli
Just beware there was a glut of agents during the last recession
Reli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #10
Xenophonii
RIP Bunny

Founding Member

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reli View Post
Just beware there was a glut of agents during the last recession
There is that too. Lots of folks looking to cash in thinking it's easy money. Nope, it's not. It's almost like an MLM - the few folks that make real money at it are rare, the rest, well, don't.

Last edited by Xenophonii; 01-15-2019 at 06:23 PM..
Old 01-15-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
Reli
Veteran

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: motorcycles
Name: reli
Also helps if you have a spouse/partner in the business
Reli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #12
Xenophonii
RIP Bunny

Founding Member

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reli View Post
Also helps if you have a spouse/partner in the business
No doubt about it. I talked with one of the biggest salesperson in Napa (by way of introduction) and she was really frank about the industry. Networking is key.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #13
FXCLM5
bombaclaud

1% Contributor

Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
i did it online, i think it was a 60% fail rate when I took the test

not hard, i would say 50% common sense, 25% applicable real estate 25% admin stuff and weird real estate rules/loops like a african american with a real estate license cannot be a "Realtor" he can join the Realtor organization but he would be called a "Realtist"

Alot of weird racial things that expose their heads.

Also this is what you put in is what you will get out, less then 5% will succeed @ this. Lots of times you will have 0 income for a few months to handling multiple escrows in 1 month. Its not for the faint of heart. You will try so hard show 50 homes and the client wifes girlfriend will say something and ruin all the hard work you put in for last 2 months.

Last edited by FXCLM5; 01-15-2019 at 08:08 PM..
FXCLM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #14
renxianqiclone
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2011 s1000rr, 2005 R1, 1998 R6 (RIP), 2007 Ninja 250 (for sale but keys missing)
Name: Yuanliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXCLM5 View Post
i did it online, i think it was a 60% fail rate when I took the test

not hard, i would say 50% common sense, 25% applicable real estate 25% admin stuff and weird real estate rules/loops like a african american with a real estate license cannot be a "Realtor" he can join the Realtor organization but he would be called a "Realtist"

Alot of weird racial things that expose their heads.

Also this is what you put in is what you will get out, less then 5% will succeed @ this. Lots of times you will have 0 income for a few months to handling multiple escrows in 1 month. Its not for the faint of heart. You will try so hard show 50 homes and the client wifes girlfriend will say something and ruin all the hard work you put in for last 2 months.
So much of this! Makes you want to pull hair out, yours and theirs!
Not to mention all those times when the wife/girlfriend/mistress suddenly has a change of heart and sees a new attractive listing on her cellphone right when he's about to sign or hand in the escrow check. You have to mask your negative emotions really well and stay smiling through the whole ordeal.
renxianqiclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #15
asdfghwy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Fast one
Name:
Thank you all for the responses. Will look into hiring requirements. My little brother has good work ethic, and fortunately while he lives at home doesn't have any major expenses so he definitely has time to spare while he gets situated and launches a career in real estate. At minimum I'd like him to have a 'fall-back' into real estate -- although I believe he can succeed in the role and will be pro-active in getting a foot in the door. I just don't want to see him do nothing and have no options.
asdfghwy is offline   Reply With Quote