BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > General

Notices

Old 09-28-2020, 07:42 AM   #76
nebulous
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2007 1000rr 2000 CBRF4
Name:
Standing against self righteous assholes trying to dictate what can and cannot purchased is also a valuable service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
Preventing assholes from destroying the environment is a service. Things like anti-pollution laws exist because someone made more money polluting than cleaning up their act. This proclamation is definitely along the same lines.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #77
NoTraffic
Veteran

Motorcycles: 2nd Gen FZ1 / Oil Cooled 1200RT / '17 MT-09
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Yup. Objectively, it *needs* to happen. The mandate is a good way to say "lets stop talking and actually DO something". Nobody likes change, you can either fight it (and lose), or accept it and make the best of things.

I plan on buying a gas burning vehicle with a manual transmission next year, and I will enjoy it knowing that when it comes time to eventually replace it, those two features will likely no longer be available.
You'll also possibly have a significant depreciation as your buyer's market now has an imposing alternative.
NoTraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #78
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous View Post
Standing against self righteous assholes trying to dictate what can and cannot purchased is also a valuable service.
Tax dollars are paying for you to stand against govt regulation? I thought we were talking about govt services.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex

Last edited by stangmx13; 09-28-2020 at 10:03 AM..
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #79
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 2020 300 XC-W
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
Who here in this thread has and uses a PEV regularly? Post up.

Also, post up your energy cost(s) per KW (meaning you should take your top tier $/KW). PG&E's rates have made comparable electrics (to ICE MPG) more expensive. I love my PEV, but I'm under no illusions that it's cheaper or better than my ICE. And Fubar; we got behind one those super fast T branded electrics coming home from Clearlake a month ago. It was fast for several corners until the brakes started to fade and it lost it's grunt off the corner. Dual motor needs quadruple cooling! There was a point of pushing him where you could see; "He JUST gave up".
Fiat 500E, 3 years. I don't remember my tier costs anymore but I do know that it costed me about $1.50 per day tops to recharge, so $30-$50 per month. Compared to my diesel 4x4 that I was driving before, it was basically a free car for 3 years. California really stuck it to me on the registration though, both the electric and my diesel 4x4. $1400 every year during those 3 years.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #80
Scandalous
Hella legit

3% Contributor

Motorcycles: Yup
Name:
Nobody in this thread seems to have made this point yet, so I'll make it: The order specifies "zero emissions" vehicles by 2035, not electric vehicles per se, which are just the most prominent group of zero emissions vehicles currently.

That could change, hypothetically, if competing tech made some leaps. Obviously the EV industry is burgeoning, as is the infrastructure and investment to support it. However long-term, the major resources that go into EVs like lithium for batteries only exist in limited quantities, and the US only has something like 4% of lithium reserves despite not mining very much of it domestically. Not great for home-grown energy independence.

I don't profess to know much about the alternatives like hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, which produce only water vapor as a primary emissions and have a virtually unlimited fuel source (Although I think they still use batteries larger than a typical ICE vehicle?) so perhaps others can chime in on those or alternative tech still in the development pipeline. Aside: Toyota Mirai H2 fuel cell car has been on the market since 2014.

So, Question: Has EV tech already become so dominant that it will drown out the marketing of competing technology for the foreseeable future?

Last edited by Scandalous; 09-28-2020 at 10:58 AM..
Scandalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #81
Wolf
Experienced, not Skilled

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2012 FZ8
Name: Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous View Post
So are you mad about the shift to electric vehicles, or because the government mandated it?

If auto makers on their own decided to phase out gas cars and go all electric, would you still be upset?

I guess it's kinda like wearing masks... if the CDC said everyone should wear one, but the government didn't mandate it, do you think all the anti-maskers would still be so vehemently anti-mask? Is it resistance for resistance-sake?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #82
Wolf
Experienced, not Skilled

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: 2012 FZ8
Name: Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTraffic View Post
You'll also possibly have a significant depreciation as your buyer's market now has an imposing alternative.
Tacoma... it'll probably appreciate in value.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #83
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by KooLaid View Post
Fiat 500E, 3 years. I don't remember my tier costs anymore but I do know that it costed me about $1.50 per day tops to recharge, so $30-$50 per month. Compared to my diesel 4x4 that I was driving before, it was basically a free car for 3 years. California really stuck it to me on the registration though, both the electric and my diesel 4x4. $1400 every year during those 3 years.
How much is annual reg on the Fiat?
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:27 PM   #84
Killroy1999
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: Zero SR
Name:
Who says that anyone except enthusiasts will want to buy a ICE car in 15 years?

The ICE car may be like the a Blackberry for the average driver in the future. It may be flying also.
Killroy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #85
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer

Really depends on the mission. Cold states may struggle with range/ issues. IMO, I'm running an ICE in snow state country.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Old 09-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #86
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: Keep me rocking life
Name: Budman
Guess we will find out in 15 years where we are with both platforms and hopefully more options.

Hydrogen vehicles seems to have an upside but gas stations will be a challenge

We are just an amazing discovery away from solving this.
My guess is 15 years won’t produce that. 30 should.

Hope I get to see it. I think.
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:01 PM   #87
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer

Me thinks we need some of the smaller package nuke plants in CA.

AFM #6 2020
Old 09-28-2020, 10:58 PM   #88
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motato
Name: Heyou
In 15 years? Mr. Fusion should be bolt-on power.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:45 AM   #89
Bumpits
Rookie

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono
Name: Danny
Newsom’s campaign slogan:

Bumpits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:10 AM   #90
Bumpits
Rookie

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono
Name: Danny
Also https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/dir...ikes-ban-2035/

Quote:
There is a third provision in this executive order though, and it is getting far less attention than the other two, but it will greatly impact the motorcycle industry.

This is because Gov. Newsom’s executive order also says that by 2035 California will ban the sale of all new off-road vehicles that are not zero-emissions, where feasible.

Effectively, California has just set an expiration date on the sale of new dirt bikes, side-by-sides, and ATVs within its borders.
Bumpits is offline   Reply With Quote