bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperX View Post
Don't know if this is the place for this discussion, Snaggy and Dr. Slo do you have any insight on the MMR vacine and a resistance to OVID-19? Apparantly American Samoa is attributing their lack of cases to an aggressive MMR vacination program.
Huh! Hadn't heard this before. Looks like there's something to this.

https://asm.org/Press-Releases/2020/...e-Worst-Sympto

I might just have to go out and get me a booster.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "

Last edited by bojangle; 07-01-2020 at 09:52 PM..
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #5582
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motato
Name: Heyou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
My si02 runs around 92-94 on a regular day.
That would scare the hell out of me.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:54 PM   #5583
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangle View Post
Remember when some people were questioning whether or not SIP was working? Seems pretty clear to me that it was working.
I disagree that SIP was working. It may have worked for a few weeks, but after that the majority of people were desperate to continue their lives as much as they could and they went out and they transacted, in a time before anyone had masks/ etc. Then, they came home and "sheltered" in their domicile with family. Everyone in the families got sick.

I don't think SIP was the correct answer. It was a fabricated idea, frankly, from a guy who could't SIP long enough to let his sperm count to build up for his midnight jaunts with his affair. The correct answer was PPE for individuals and THEN allowing people to move around in society while also working with businesses on how to open up and keep people safe. Watching the state and federal efforts were like watching Warren catch his baseball.

Quote:
Right. Seems many of the same people demanding everything opened up are also anti-mask. I have a hard time understanding how that makes sense. If we can somehow enforce sensibility in others, such as physical distancing, mask wearing, and limiting indoor interactions with others, more businesses can be opened up, and for longer. It shouldn't be all or nothing.

Though I think it's human nature with the need to see swift and direct results to activities for behaviors to really change. Covid infections and especially deaths don't seem to happen fast enough to convince many people. Humans, or especially Americans, also tend to have short memory spans.
We're missing a large (LARGE) grouping across the country who is contributing to the increases in COVID: protestors/ rioters/ Occupiers. The demo's of this group put them into urban homes with many family members. I think we'll find what we all knew was coming wasn't due solely to "bars and beaches". Instead, the weeks of yelling, looting, tearing things down, etc, has led to what we all knew it was going to lead to: more COVIDNESS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert R1 View Post
The product of a decade plus long shift in ideology to create mistrust in science and subject matter experts.e

The current US issue with corona is mainly a science vs anti science ideology at play.
Nah, you know why; same reason we didn't give a shit about H1N1 and made jokes about it: Americans can tolerate locking them up for only so long. Cue the prison reform groups NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post
That would scare the hell out of me.
Yeah, right? I never knew anything about it until I used my dad's oximeter when he was sick. I never get above 96 unless I take several deep breaths. Probably why I don't need drugs or alcohol...I'm walking hypoxic!
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #5584
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motato
Name: Heyou
I'm sure you didn't mean silicone oxide, but still. I went in for overnight sleep apnea testing and the doc told me my O2 never went below 99. This little thing toggles around 98/99 and has even shown 100. I was trying to get it below 97 by holding my breath. After two minutes I give up. Maybe it's broken.

http://einstein.physics.drexel.edu/~...metry/main.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oximiter-20200630_202450.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	534865  
Old 06-30-2020, 09:27 PM   #5585
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
We're missing a large (LARGE) grouping across the country who is contributing to the increases in COVID: protestors/ rioters/ Occupiers. The demo's of this group put them into urban homes with many family members. I think we'll find what we all knew was coming wasn't due solely to "bars and beaches". Instead, the weeks of yelling, looting, tearing things down, etc, has led to what we all knew it was going to lead to: more COVIDNESS.
I agree with that.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:36 PM   #5586
Snaggy
Veteran

Motorcycles: GSXR's
Name:
Quote:
Don't know if this is the place for this discussion, Snaggy and Dr. Slo do you have any insight on the MMR vacine and a resistance to OVID-19? Apparantly American Samoa is attributing their lack of cases to an aggressive MMR vacination program.
Seems to be based on

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...207v1.full.pdf

and

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ed_Populations

The first notes that a Rubella protein bears a "29%" similarity to a Covid protein and speculates on folding etc, but doesn't actually have any pricey epitope modeling data. IOW, they didn't actually do crystallography or other techniques, bolstered by computer modelling, to demonstrate that the 2 proteins really look similar at all in 3D. Nor do they demonstrate experimentally that an antibody to this protein domain would neutralize either Rubella or Covid virus and reduce infection.

The second report observes that death rates are lower in countries with high rates of MMR administration. They speculate that death rises with age in Covid infection because old people never got MMR vaccine, just got sick with M,M,R. Honestly, this one is sorta offensive it's so bad. If you want, read the part about the sailors on the Teddy Roosevelt. LOLZ. The author information at the bottom of the page is hilarious. This is not the way scholars introduce themselves. Oh, and funding by Mercatus Institute

The thing about providing general stimulus to the immune system with a vaccine to something else works in a few special instances, but this is not a new idea, and never really panned out before.

Last edited by Snaggy; 06-30-2020 at 09:43 PM..
Snaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:49 PM   #5587
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
Snaggy, can you speak as to the length of time the Vaccine may last as antibodies when developed?
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".

AFM #6 2020
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #5588
Dr_SLO
Veteran

1% Contributor + GOP

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory - Previous steads; R1 (x2),TL1000S, ZX6-R (x2), GPZ500S
Name: Stefan
Quote:
Quote:
Huh! Hadn't heard this before. Looks like there's something too this.

https://asm.org/Press-Releases/2020/...e-Worst-Sympto

I might just have to go out and get me a booster.
There is some basis for this and was discussed in relation to polio in TWiV 604 Oral poliovaccine to prevent SARS-CoV-2 infection. Whether this is a phenomenon for the young only or is useful in the elderly, only carefully controlled studies will provide the answer. The data in the MedRxiv manuscript Snaggy put up don't really show anything other than a correlation between vaccination status, age and death; correlation does not equal causation. My bet on the mechanism of action is nothing related to the structural protein of measles; 29% amino acid identity is almost random in terms of proteins. The most likely mechanism is through the innate arm of the immune system that will be triggered in response to a live attenuated vaccine. This will be short acting, a few weeks. As with everything SARS 2.0 only properly control studies will provide the answer. This will take time.

Murphy's Law
'Everything takes longer than you think; nothing is as simple as it seems; if anything can go wrong it will'
O'Grady's Law
'Murphy's law is very optimistic'
Dr_SLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:08 PM   #5589
Dr_SLO
Veteran

1% Contributor + GOP

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory - Previous steads; R1 (x2),TL1000S, ZX6-R (x2), GPZ500S
Name: Stefan
Quote:
I disagree that SIP was working.
SIP did and SIP was working. What we're seeing is very clear evidence of how SRAS 2.0 spreads once people try to go back to normal. The protests are only going to contribute a small proportion of the cases. My bet is that this current increase in cases goes back to memorial day weekend. What all of the health officials are not discussing or the governors are ignoring (hard to know) is transmission dynamics. SARS 2.0 spreads in fits and starts. Not many people spread the virus but when they do it infects a sizeable number of people, probably around 5-10. This means that there are seeding events in the population and the transmission grumbles on for some time. Unfortunately, all of the states where there have been big jumps were too fast in their opening protocols. What should have happened is open and wait for 4-6 weeks before moving onto the next phase to be sure that there was not an increase in cases associated with the reopening.

There is another factor and I can't recall if this was mentioned in the thread already. Air conditioning. Most of the places where we're seeing big jumps in cases might well be attributed to folks wanting to escape the heat. Enclosed environments with AC is going to be the perfect environment for SARS 2.0 to spread. Couple this with the seeding events then the cases start to increase more rapidly.

At the beginning of the epidemic it was clear what was going to happen; there would be peaks and troughs of cases. Under those circumstances there will be rolling lockdowns as predicted at the beginning of the epidemic. The US continues to handle the epidemic in a half arsed manner largely due to the continued incoherent federal response, which is the major contributor to continuing economic damage.

The idea of SIP was two fold, flatten the curve and buy time to get testing and tracing sorted. The curve was flattened but valuable time has been wasted on the most critical aspect, test, trace, isolate, TETRIS. If this had been implemented when the cases were low new outbreaks could be controlled and the economy opened up faster. Sadly, we are pretty much where we were in March. Now, everything is being bet on face coverings. This is not going to solve the epidemic in the US because community transmission is too frequent. Will it help? Perhaps, but it's going to take a lot longer than going back to lockdowns in the affected areas.

To me, the mindset in the US is akin to the five stages of grief; denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Most folk in the US are just moving back and forth between denial (it's only a flu, or, it's a hoax), anger (protests against control measures) and bargaining (we can open up early; face coverings are the solution). Me, I'm set at a metaphorical depression because it's depressing to see everyone's hard work wasted by this new surge in cases. Regardless of what you hear this was not inevitable because numerous countries around the world have been very successful in keeping SARS 2.0 under control. The catastrophe in the US is solely down to poor infectious disease and crisis management. To suggest anything else is just stage one of grief.

Murphy's Law
'Everything takes longer than you think; nothing is as simple as it seems; if anything can go wrong it will'
O'Grady's Law
'Murphy's law is very optimistic'
Dr_SLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #5590
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_SLO View Post
There is another factor and I can't recall if this was mentioned in the thread already. Air conditioning. Most of the places where we're seeing big jumps in cases might well be attributed to folks wanting to escape the heat. Enclosed environments with AC is going to be the perfect environment for SARS 2.0 to spread. Couple this with the seeding events then the cases start to increase more rapidly.
Well, it looks like Berto was onto something with people going inside in the heat.

You learn something new every day.

Graph and Table I built for seeing state Covid19 data:
Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.

Stupid isn't a birthright, it's a state of mind. If somebody is Stupid, it's because they chose to be Stupid.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #5591
mlm
Veteran

AMA#: 874813
Contributor ++++++ BB

Motorcycles: Yes
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_SLO View Post
To me, the mindset in the US is akin to the five stages of grief; denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Most folk in the US are just moving back and forth between denial (it's only a flu, or, it's a hoax), anger (protests against control measures) and bargaining (we can open up early; face coverings are the solution). Me, I'm set at a metaphorical depression because it's depressing to see everyone's hard work wasted by this new surge in cases. Regardless of what you hear this was not inevitable because numerous countries around the world have been very successful in keeping SARS 2.0 under control. The catastrophe in the US is solely down to poor infectious disease and crisis management. To suggest anything else is just stage one of grief.
Reminds me of this quote
Quote:
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill
mlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:33 PM   #5592
900ss
Veteran

Motorcycles: None, but my brother has 54.
Name: Ken
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Indeed, indeed..... but the I'm biased.
900ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:57 AM   #5593
Climber
Veteran

BARF Community Partner
Contributor

Motorcycles: 01 Goldwing GL1800
Name: Brett
I extended the graph length to up to 4 months with a drop-down.
Does anybody know which is the best source for hospitalizations? I'm thinking of adding that to the table and graph since it is probably the best indicator.

Graph and Table I built for seeing state Covid19 data:
Covid19 Visualization graph and table. **NOTE** Using John Hopkins data data, shows State, Country & County data.

Stupid isn't a birthright, it's a state of mind. If somebody is Stupid, it's because they chose to be Stupid.
Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:02 AM   #5594
Blankpage
alien

Contributor +++

Motorcycles: Once In a While
Name: Ay Caramba
Goldman Sachs say masks can save 5% of GDP. The administration says a national mask mandate is not necessary. When the virus hit the US it found a friend and knew it would be very comfortable there.
Blankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:30 AM   #5595
ThumperX
Veteran

AMA #: 2817058
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor++++++++ +++++++++++++++ +++++++++++3%
Barf Roadside Angel and more!

Motorcycles: Different strokes Big Bore and little bore Thumpers
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankpage View Post
Goldman Sachs say masks can save 5% of GDP. The administration says a national mask mandate is not necessary. When the virus hit the US it found a friend and knew it would be very comfortable there.

I think the most difficult thing for me during this pandemic is observing the conscious diversion toWards ignorance. I am very sad over this.
Treat a feral woman with respect, once trust is earned she may start bringing you food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoyf View Post
DMV test is not there to teach or prove you can ride the bike, it is there to prove that you can control the bike.
HOHO
Melissa"everyone does have issues, it is what makes us all so very interesting. Psychoanalysis however could be left to the professionals."
ThumperX is offline   Reply With Quote