Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Dirty BARFing

Notices

Old 04-13-2021, 12:19 PM   #1
D408
Rookie

Motorcycles: Suzuki DR650
Name:
Are Dirtbikes Becoming Too Expensive?

Hey everyone. So I have been riding since I was a kid, and have dabbled on and off as an adult on all sorts of different bikes. Lately, I have been considering selling my DR650 and getting something more dirt oriented. I have come to realize I enjoy dirt riding far more than street riding, and the DR is heavy for singletrack. So I have been cruising the interwebs and I can't believe how expensive the used dirtbike market is. The only thing crazier is the new bike market and it has me wondering, Does all this new tech put bikes out of reach for the average rider? The last dirt bike I bought was a 2006 crf450r in 2010. At the time it was a very low hour bike, with a lot of good extras and I paid 3k for it. I sold that bike 2 years later after I had an accident for $2600 and thought it was fair. That same bike today is being sold for $4k+. at this point its a 15 year old bike and its still worth more than I paid at the time. I also look at some of the new enduro's from KTM, Husky, etc and they are $12k-$14k out the door. It just seems crazy to me. I have always hoped that some day I could get my kids into riding, but lets say as a family of 4 we have no bikes. If I buy a 450, buy my kids each a CRF125f and the wife something similar, plus a trailer im looking at minimum $20k dollars if we buy new. I get that these modern bikes get better and better tech every year, but at what cost? I have to think the cost of these new bikes are also driving the prices of used bikes. Nobody is selling their 2017 enduro for $3k, because 3 years ago, someone paid $12k. Does this just destroy the family aspect of dirtibke riding?
D408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #2
quicksparks
Veteran

Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: DR-Z400S
Name:
Yes, now is not a good time to get the whole family into dirt bike riding if you're not willing to pay a premium. If I were in the market for a 10-year-old or older race bike I'd wait til the bubble bursts. They're only selling for a premium now because of the weird situation we're in with so many people working remotely and saving hundreds of dollars per month because they don't have to commute to work. Also stimulus checks for people who aren't relying on them. So there's more people with more free time and more money chasing the same number of used dirt bikes. I'm guessing you fit in that category since you're thinking of doing the same thing! I think that situation is temporary, though. No telling when it will end, but it won't take long for those impulse-bought motorcycles to start hitting the market again. And there is only one intrinsic reason I can think of why the value of a used motorcycle should stay this high forever, and it only affects California...

...this year we have the OHV registration law change going into effect so there has been a run on 2021 MY race bikes (red sticker). I'm sure that's having an effect, too. We may see prices of used race bikes staying permanently inflated since now the market is fixed. It may also permanently inflate green sticker bikes since they're close enough in performance, especially if they've been uncorked.

$12k-$14k is certainly a lot to spend on a dirt bike. They have been getting a lot more powerful and lighter in recent years, so on paper, they're not comparable to models from 10 years ago (although how many riders really need the advantages of a modern race bike?). And the people who buy them new spend a few more grand to uncork them, set up the suspension, add protection, etc. So the asking price of a gently used 1-3-yr-old one is still close to the MSRP of the current year's new one. A lot of buyers look at that and decide to just buy new anyway since they'd rather pop the bike's cherry themselves. They either don't realize or they don't care that buying used means not paying dealer fees and full sales tax and upgrades.

All that being said, if you don't want to wait out the lockdown effects and if you think the OHV law effects are permanent, it's not worth waiting that much longer to get yourself and the kids riding, if now's the time you have the free time for it, and they won't be young forever. After all, you'll be able to resell the bikes later and get most of your money back. It's just a lot tied up in motorized toys that's the main downside.

Last edited by quicksparks; 04-13-2021 at 02:58 PM..
quicksparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:19 PM   #3
northwood
Rookie

AMA #3281914

Motorcycles: 07 Honda CBR1000RR; 06 Honda VFR800; 15 Honda GROM!
Name: Chris
Still cheaper than mtn bikes.
2015 Honda GROOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!
northwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:21 PM   #4
NSR500
すけべ

Motorcycles: Ducati 996 Ducati 748 VFR400/NC30
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwood View Post
Still cheaper than mtn bikes.
100%

Those newer full carbon full suspension 29ers are extremely expensive. Then you have the e-Bike variants.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:00 PM   #5
D408
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR500 View Post
100%

Those newer full carbon full suspension 29ers are extremely expensive. Then you have the e-Bike variants.
Oh for sure, mountain bikes have gotten insane as well. But, you have so many more options. Specialized makes full suspensions starting at less than $2k. Sure, they don't have 150mm front forks, but they are fine for a large subset of the riders out there. I just recently sold my intense, but when I bought it they had multiple versions of the same bike, different components, and vastly different prices. Im almost thinking that maybe the manufacturers are missing a line of bikes that is somewhere between the latest fully tech'd out fire breathing race bike, and the undersprung, underpowered CRF trail bike lineup. There are a few bikes in between, but the options are slim. I would never even get close to the limits of my old 450, and I can't imagine I would get any closer on a newer one. That being said I wouldn't want to be on a CRF230 either.

I guess the point of my original post was that if dirt riding becomes so expensive that people can't afford to get their kids into it, we will eventually lose the places we have to ride. Nobody wants their tax dollars going to some park that caters to very few people. While manufacturers concentrate on making faster and faster bikes, the costs are driven to a point where less and less people care to participate. Just some food for thought.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:07 PM   #6
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna FE350, TE300, a vintage CR390, Honda ST1100
Name: CJ
In a word, yes. Especially if you consider the demographics of dirt riders and where they typically live.

Folks in the Bay Area quickly forget the average income, median household income etc are a small fraction outstate or across the county when compared to the Bay Area.

There certainly has been a run up on used bikes due to the shortage of new bikes during Covid AND the new red sticker rules. If you can wait, do so.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #7
R3DS!X
Whatever that means

Contributor + + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: Energica EVA Honda 919 DR350
Name:
Yeah i remember when it was no problem trying to find a used crf250 in okay condition for 2-2.5k

now youre lucky to find stuff in the 4k range worth putting a leg over.

and dont get me started on supermotos
Old 04-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #8
KooLaid
Hippocritapotamus

Motorcycles: 2020 300 XC-W TPI
Name:
My new ktm is a 2 stroke that passes current Euro emissions, fuel injected, oil injected, electric start, and weighs around 226 lbs. I think the amount of tech warrants the price but I did get a much better price than $12k-$14k though.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #9
D408
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KooLaid View Post
My new ktm is a 2 stroke that passes current Euro emissions, fuel injected, oil injected, electric start, and weighs around 226 lbs. I think the amount of tech warrants the price but I did get a much better price than $12k-$14k though.
Don't get me wrong, that is an awesome bike, but msrp is $10,200 before tax title delivery etc. If you got it for under $11k then I think you did really well. That being said, tell anybody 10 years ago that they would be spending $11k-$12k on a new two stroke and they would have laughed. I think back to 2008 when I was riding a lot of dirt and It just didn't seem as crazy. The new bikes are loaded with new tech, and I think its awesome what they are doing with them, but the average joe isn't taking advantage of that 2 less lbs, and the cost to consumer to make that happen just prices so many out of the market. I think it would be cool to have a base model, then several suspension, wheel tire, etc option packages to keep things priced more reasonably. I guess given sales numbers that would be a hard thing to do, but then we arrive at the chicken or the egg debate.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:37 PM   #10
D408
Rookie

Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3DS!X View Post
Yeah i remember when it was no problem trying to find a used crf250 in okay condition for 2-2.5k

now youre lucky to find stuff in the 4k range worth putting a leg over.

and dont get me started on supermotos
The first four stroke I purchased was a 2004 yz250F in 2008. I think i paid $2400 for it. Needed a valve adjustment. Find me a 2017 crf250r for less than $5k. Inflation hasn't been that bad.

Here is a funny one. Just saw an ad on CL down south for a 93 yz 250. They are asking $2,475....That is nuts!!! Bet it was less than $5k in 93.

Last edited by D408; 04-14-2021 at 12:44 PM..
Old 04-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #11
Primo1
Rookie

Motorcycles: 2006 GSXR-750
Name:
D408 you are not wrong. I was searching since last year. The pandemic has definitely made the market volatile. People asking 4K+ for 15 yr old bikes is just nuts.

Plus everything sold out in the dealership and no new available for 6 months doesn't help. I found a 2002 XR200 for 1800$ ( still high) and 1998 xr100 for 1300$. Just gotta find the right seller.
Primo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:02 AM   #12
banshee01
Veteran

Motorcycles: 21 150xcw 21 300xcw 20 Te250i 19 500excf 19fe501 12 kx100 04 bbr TTR150 01 kx 100 04 ttr125
Name: George
The red sticker ban forced my hand to buy 3 new dirtbikes. 2 of them I had to drive to Oregon for.

Jan 1st 2025 all current Red stickers model year 2022 amd older will be treated as a green sticker. That is the current plan when that flip happens older green sticker prices will drop and these newly grandfathered in green sticker bikes will rise in price
banshee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:02 AM   #13
Leo_jb
City boy

Motorcycles: '00 XR400; '06 KLR650; '02 YZ250
Name: Leo
I think the prices of new dirt bikes are pretty crazy, especially when compared to other bikes. My 2021 Tenere 700 had an MSRP of $9999. That's $1200 cheaper than a 350 EXC-F.
Leo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #14
CDONA
Home of Vortex tuning

Motorcycles: Triumph scrambler, TW200, Monkey
Name: # 44659
I have a line on a '86 XL250 R for $2k @ 4.6k miles.
Not mine, looks cherry, 909 area code.
The pix and price have me interested, too good to be true? But I have no room for it.
There are bargains out there, just not close to anywhere.

All vaxxed up

Started hammerin' Honda 90's around Berryessa, Summer of Love '67
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote