Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > The Garage

Notices

Old 02-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #1
Mario
Veteran

Motorcycles: KTM/Triumph/GSXR
Name: Mario
question on 2 stroke piston ring locating pin

Hi all, I am finishing a 2 stroke build (my first one) and got the cylinder back from Edco with a Wiseco piston. I am about to install the rings and found out there is only one locating pin in the top and just a hole in the bottom ring, no pin. Both rings look identical. Is this supposed to be this way or should I contact Wiseco for a replacement?
Thanks!

Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:49 AM   #2
buellistic
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: kool loud one + 11 more
Name:
It's on there web site.. call them.
http://blog.wiseco.com/2-stroke-locating-pin
buellistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:50 AM   #3
bobl
Veteran

Contributor + + + + + + + +

Motorcycles: ZX6 Kawasaki
Name:
I would contact Wiseco. The ring pins stop the ring from rotation. If they rotate, the ends can get caught in ports causing major damage.
bobl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
Mario
Veteran

I read their website before posting, I didn't find anything related to the second groove. I thought there might be a reason why it is not installed... I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2021, 11:07 AM   #5
buellistic
Veteran

Contributor

Motorcycles: kool loud one + 11 more
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
I read their website before posting, I didn't find anything related to the second groove. I thought there might be a reason why it is not installed... I'll give them a call tomorrow.
There open Sundays?.
buellistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #6
Mario
Veteran

Monday! I'm so tired of wrenching I don't even know what day it is! I need to go ride...
Old 02-27-2021, 03:51 PM   #7
kuksul08
Suh Dude

Motorcycles: Whee!
Name:
Both rings should have locating pins
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:12 AM   #8
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
Name: Steve
This
On 2 strokes the rings must be retained in place. If there is no pin , the ring is going to rotate, catch the port and probably destroy the bore. I'm starting to question Weisco's quality control. This is not the first time I've seen this.

Mad
Old 02-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #9
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna FE350, TE300, a vintage CR390, Honda ST1100
Name: CJ
Need two pins. Yours fell out for what ever reason. Call Wiseco and they will surely send you a replacement.

I use Wiseco in my YZ250, but if you are uncomfortable with using them going forward and still want a forged piston, Wossner is available.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:58 AM   #10
Mario
Veteran

Called Wiseco, very quick to dismiss me and send me back to the engine shop, "you got to deal with the engine shop, good luck". Thank you!

Luckily Engine Dynamics (guy is amazing) was very helpful, asked me to ship the piston back and will ask to ship a new one straight to my place. Will ask for his advice on this. I hope it didn't "fall out" of the groove because if that is a possibility during manufacturing/shipping, it is a possibility it will happen in the engine and that would be catastrophic.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #11
peterhively
Veteran

AMA #349887
Contributor ++

Motorcycles: *
Name:
I had one come out of an OEM KTM 300 piston in operation...made a big effin mess as you can imagine.
peterhively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:44 AM   #12
Maddevill
KNGKAW

AMA #: 542337

Motorcycles: ZX14,GS750E, KTM 450/540
Name: Steve
A friend had his KX125 bore destroyed by a locating pin falling out. Not sure if it was Wiseco. Those pins should NEVER fall out.

Mad
Old 03-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #13
Mario
Veteran

I can keep it in place same way I do the rest of my bike: a dab of RTV or maybe safety wire it?

Seriously though, anyone know if there is a best option for this? The ring ends looks to be shaped in a way that it would hold the locating pin in the case it become loose, but still, if there is a better option, I would pay the extra $ for it.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:23 AM   #14
OaklandF4i
Darwin's exception

Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor ++++

Motorcycles: Triumph Street Triple, YZ250, TLR200, XR400R, Husqvarna FE350, TE300, a vintage CR390, Honda ST1100
Name: CJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Seriously though, anyone know if there is a best option for this? The ring ends looks to be shaped in a way that it would hold the locating pin in the case it become loose, but still, if there is a better option, I would pay the extra $ for it.
I have only read of this happening one other time over on Thumpertalk many many many years ago. If you do an internet search, I don't think you are going to come up with many examples of this. If it were a prevalent issue, I'd think there were be more internet "evidence." That's just my opinion based on anecdotal evidence.

I would tend to agree with you, once installed, it would be pretty tough for one to come loose unless the rings failed. But I am not a pro mechanic or engineer.

As for options, the Wossner piston is generally accepted as the higher quality piston. That said, even after reading about your experience, I'll probably continue to use the Wiseco piston in my two strokes without loosing too much sleep. Sucks that it extended your rebuild down time, but I wouldn't hesitate to use another one... with both pins of course.

There are folks that will bag on Wiseco pistons and or their much maligned crank and only use XXX. But it's probably the most common non OEM replacement used, most folks have zero issues, myself included. I even have one of the maligned cranks in a motor with a couple hundred hours.

Not saying its right for everyone or every application, just been my experience.

Bottom line, I wouldn't fret installing the replacement.

If you think me being naked is offensive, dont look!

"You find the biggest meanest bull, chop off his balls, dangle them in front of him, then hop on his back. That should give you some reference point. Either that, or shove a shuttle rocket up your ass. Take your pick." Colin Edwards

'Cycles is a mean toy lady" Big Halsy
OaklandF4i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 04:13 PM   #15
arsenix

Motorcycles: BMW S1000RR
Name:
Aren't these usually a tight press fit? If it fell out you are lucky it fell out before you installed the piston and not after!
arsenix is offline   Reply With Quote