This is awesome. Love the story!
ThatOneGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:52 PM   #17
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Motorcycles: Empulse TT, ZR7, DR650, KLR650, 750 Turbo, Light Bee MX, KLX140L
Name: Merlin
I actually went out riding before I shot the AAR video, this is a bonus riding video for that day. So what I did was drive from Basin Road to the next exit down Rasor Road. There is a gas station there and then a graded (and sandy) dirt road going into Rasor OHV. I was really worried about getting stuck in the sand and driving my trailer there let's just say I have had bad experiences getting stuck in the sand on the RWD van, it's like your dragging an anchor with you with the trailer. What I had done is drove down the road and set up camp at the Rasor OHV sign that is about 4 miles down the dirt road from the freeway. An interesting note about this place is it is BLM land you can camp anywhere from the the gas station and into the OHV area. You can tell a lot of people just camp near the gas station overnight and hit the road the next day. There is a gas station with a store in it. You can ride OHVs straight to the gas station also, so the good thing if you wanted to haul ass down to the gas station to get gas for your bike or food/supplies you can do that. There is also a cell tower right next to the gas station so phone signal is excellent all the way up to the Rasor OHV sign. Camping here was cool also, it was so quiet right now and you can watch the vehicles travel down the I-15 at night. I don't recommend tent camping in the Mojave not one bit as the winds are crazy here.

Anyway this is a video of me riding down Rasor Road to where we rode earlier, I was only like 2.5 miles from the Mojave Road and 3.5 miles from the preserve boundary. This video will give you an idea what the road was like going in from Rasor Road also. There is a lot of sand but under the sand is a dirt road so I don't think you will dig in much. If you don't have 4WD or AWD you've been warned. I did see a Honda Civic and Toyota Sienna driving down the road and several toy hauler RVs the next day so it's not that bad, but you never know. Also there is some dune riding action in the mountains also!

youtu.be/dF3xEhsJZlM
HadesOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:32 PM   #18
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

It's the 4th day riding the Mojave Trail today we start at the Rasor OHV sign on Rasor Road and we head down Rasor Road with 2 battery packs and link back up to the Mojave Road we rode yesterday and ride down to the Mojave National Preserve Boundary.

youtu.be/TNcxf-oylHs

Last edited by HadesOmega; 02-15-2021 at 10:52 PM..
Old 02-15-2021, 10:50 PM   #19
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

In this video we begin our journey into the Mojave National Preserve. First up we ride through a dune sane section. We're just swimming in sand for a little bit. Then we finally hit the Soda Dry Lake and I'm tempted to unleash the Light Bee's power. Finally we arrive at the Traveller's Monument, a very cool place where travelers past and present have left their rock.

youtu.be/UvKPJyYrVkg
Old 02-17-2021, 01:23 AM   #20
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Hope you enjoyed the tour of the travellers monument now we travel across the remainder of Soda Dry Lake. The terrain changes from a salt flat to mud/dirt flats then to volcanic rock section.

youtu.be/waLy0r9UDig

Last edited by HadesOmega; 02-17-2021 at 10:19 PM..
Old 02-17-2021, 10:14 PM   #21
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

In this video we reach the limits of what the Litespeed 18650 battery pack can go which is around 18miles of sandy road. It was fun but it's time to turn around unless I want to push the bike back to camp. We made it shy of a 1 or 2 miles of Kelbaker Road. I definitely would have made it with 2 packs if it was a one way trip.

youtu.be/2XUXJxL4J-E
Old 02-20-2021, 12:35 AM   #22
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

In this video the first pack runs out of juice so I swap the 2nd one in and continue to RTB. By the end we have made it back to the Traveller's Monument.

youtu.be/a4sDI87SrIs
Old 02-22-2021, 08:50 PM   #23
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

I made it back to camp barely, I decided to rip it on the way back and it just chomped up the battery a whole lot so I slowed down a bit. Definitely the range of the Light Bee is not good for desert riding is not it's strong suit for sure but it's fun to try! The next video is an AAR and then we head out to see the Mojave Megaphone on the KLX170!

youtu.be/NEm2-hDqdtg
Old 02-24-2021, 01:27 AM   #24
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Here is the After Action Review for the Mojave Nation Preserve double battery pack ride. It pretty much went as planned and got to see some cool stuff.

youtu.be/Tck5BKnozoM
Old 02-25-2021, 06:28 PM   #25
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Here we go it's the 4th day riding in the Mojave desert and the 2nd ride of the day. While the Sur Ron Light Bee is charging we're going to go on one more ride to the Mojave Megaphone! It's an 11 mile ride through challenging desert terrain. This ride was less chill the the previous. In this video we ride to the end of Rasor Road which takes us to an oasis or spring in the desert. It's the only place you see trees out here.

youtu.be/F5QZ_3UVwqk
Old 03-02-2021, 03:46 AM   #26
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Here we go better put your dune riding cap on because we're going dune riding! So I head off in the direction Ms. Google is telling me to go and it sends me through these sand dunes. I kinda have no idea where I'm going but the GPS says if I ride straight that way I'll get where I'm going. Unfortunately my action camera ran out of power so I got some clips here any there. The ride was harder than I thought it would be. I had to jump some railroad tracks, it was ez the first time and when the I had the camera rollin I failed haha. Lots of sand and whoops just beating the crap out of me but we made it to the Mojave Megaphone, great view of Rasor OHV from there for sure!

youtu.be/kmDH0HIprbI

Last edited by HadesOmega; 03-02-2021 at 03:50 AM..
Old 03-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #27
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

The after action review for the Mojave Megaphone ride. It was more tiring ride than I thought it would be but definitely more desert adventure! Dunes, whoops, oasis, strange stuff on top of a mountain what more could you want!

youtu.be/9gDYURiNO14
Old 03-06-2021, 01:03 AM   #28
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

So the next 2 days I did't do any dirt biking I wound up driving into Death Valley NP and showing a friend around a bit. It was really windy too. I was planning to camp and ride at Dumont Dunes because it is on the way to Death Valley but I wound up passing it and was going to come back on the way home. But I happened upon the Amagrosa Big Dune and went there instead since it was FREE! Here are a bunch of pictures of some of the stuff leading up to the Big Dunes ride!

I charged my battery in Baker at the a chargepoint L2 station with my EVSE adapter I made a video about it too. They had quite a few Chargpoint DC faster chargers here.

youtu.be/SF3XvUgHtQU

I visited the world largest thermometer and behind it is an EVGO charging station

Stopped by the Dumont Little Dunes area, the bigger dunes are farther down the road

Stopped by the China Ranch Date Farm

I hiked this trail that was at the Date Farm it goes to a slot canyon, was too tired to go hiking last time I was here doing the CABDR. Boy would I have loved to ride the Light Bee on this trail.

There's even a watercrossing

Last edited by HadesOmega; 03-06-2021 at 03:14 PM..
Old 03-06-2021, 01:03 AM   #29
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Slot Canyon

There is a BLM land near Tecopa you can camp at and they have hot springs. Took these night photos there. Was nice to soak in the hotspring after having been riding for 4 days. My camera has a night shot function so I was trying out this trip and it works great. Maybe at the end of the ride report I will post all the night photos. There was quite a few people camping there. Great place to stay that is very close the Death Valley National Park boundary. It's tough to go to Death Valley because they closed all the campgrounds in the park.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:37 AM   #30
HadesOmega
Veteran

Barfie Winner 2017

Beautiful Desert Sunrise, it is freezing when i took this picture BTW

Stopped by Shoshone for a little break before heading into Death Valley NP

The gas prices here suck

In Death Valley now! Interesting to note if you a veteran of the US armed forces you can no visit any national park for free just show they proof that you are a veteran and they give you a map and let you in for free. Of course they don't have a toll booth in Death Valley but thats what I did when i went to the visitors center.

Had some breakfast here at the Ashford Mill ruins