BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > 1Rider

Old 03-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #16
ctwo
Merely Rhetorical

Respectful Contributor

Motorcycles: motato
Name: Heyou
I feel pretty nimble on my bicycles, at same speed more so than on my motorcycle. I can't accelerate as fast, but can huff it pretty good to the bicycle's speed, and stop faster.

Acceleration seems a little bit of false security though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 295566 View Post
Also, headlight modulators are not legal at nighttime.
Is there anything about full-on/off, high intensity strobe lights for bicycles? They are like lasers.
ctwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:16 PM   #17
rcb78
Rookie

Motorcycles: '20 F900XR '20 Vulcan S
Name: Mr B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post
Is there anything about full-on/off, high intensity strobe lights for bicycles? They are like lasers.
I'm not aware of any specific laws regarding lighting on bicycles, just reflector placement.
FWIW, 'good' lights don't simply flash, they modulate and don't use steady patterns. My fav brand in Light and Motion (in Monterey), here's an example of their flash pattern. Vis 180 tail light The headlight has the same pattern.
I only use front flash during the day so that cars are less likely to pull out in front of me, something that happens way too often (smidsy maybe?). Tail light is on brightest setting during the day and dimmest setting at night. And like I said, taking the time to check the aim before rolling out 'should' be part of your pre-ride check, but I'm sure we all know at least one careless rider,,, on either style of bike.
rcb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:33 PM   #18
Bumpits
Rookie

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono
Name: Danny
I dont know about laws but here in Muricuh its not about whats legal or illegal, its about whatís enforced, and unless you live in a bike town like davis theres no requirements to have lights on your bicycle. Davis police definitely will write you a ticket if youre riding at night with no headlight or tail lights.

I dont know whos beaconed by a fun noodle or a light to commit vehicular manslaughter, but if you are please pm me with your name, address, social security number etc.

Last edited by Bumpits; 09-05-2020 at 02:34 PM..
Bumpits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #19
Bumpits
Rookie

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuono
Name: Danny
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwo View Post
I feel pretty nimble on my bicycles, at same speed more so than on my motorcycle. I can't accelerate as fast, but can huff it pretty good to the bicycle's speed, and stop faster.
Do you have discs on your bicycle? not sure ive ever felt like i could out brake a motorcycle on a bicycle with two pieces of rubber rubbing against a wheel that i pulled together with a metal wire. my bicycle may be light but Im still a buck eighty with two quarter-sized contact patches for grip. For me, the saving grace of a bicycle in any NDE is just how easy it is to change directions. So as long as im not boxed in by cars i can swerve out of the way of anything ahead of me, which is why 3 feet passing should be treated as a minimum. If vehicles can pass with more space, that would be just swell.

Last edited by Bumpits; 09-05-2020 at 02:47 PM..
Bumpits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:10 PM   #20
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
I’ve never heard of a motorcyclist complain about being too visible on this forum. I don’t c how it’d be any different for a bicyclist.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:02 PM   #21
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ +++++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
Iíve never heard of a motorcyclist complain about being too visible on this forum. I donít c how itíd be any different for a bicyclist.
I used to wear cool Team jerseys and neat logos. Now I wear fluorescent lime green jersies and have flashing LED's mounted under my seat.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #22
wheel_muse
bicycles 'n motos

Contributor +++++ GOP

Motorcycles: '18 Honda NC750XD
Name: Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangmx13 View Post
Iíve never heard of a motorcyclist complain about being too visible on this forum. I donít c how itíd be any different for a bicyclist.
Yes more visible and conspicuous. I try to run a more subdued running light on my bicycle. And a clothing/helmet/shoes kit that has something bright and contrasting

As a long time cyclist, motorcyclist and cage driver I look and hope for responsible and respectful riding to share the road.
wheel_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #23
tzrider
Write Only User

BARF Admin
Contributor +

Motorcycles: Kaw N1K
Name: Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkFast View Post
(As for those of you complaining about the strobing headlight on bicycles, I take it none of you has or is in favor of Moto headlight modulators, right?)
I haven't complained yet but no, I don't like motorcycle headlight modulators either. On the bike strobe, besides it being annoying, it makes it harder to judge the bike's distance, speed and exact location. Not sure how it nets out safety-wise but it seems like whatever one gains in having people notice them, they may lose in these other respects.

California Superbike School ē tzrider's blog
tzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:34 PM   #24
Enchanter
Ghost in The Machine

AMA #: 2815246
BARF Admin
Founding Member
Barfie Winner 2007, 2010, 2014, 2017
Contributor ++++++++++

Motorcycles: Attackô-ed R1 & hybrid S1000rr
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzrider View Post
I haven't complained yet but no, I don't like motorcycle headlight modulators either. On the bike strobe, besides it being annoying, it makes it harder to judge the bike's distance, speed and exact location. Not sure how it nets out safety-wise but it seems like whatever one gains in having people notice them, they may lose in these other respects.
I find strobe-like bicycle lights can make it more challenging to accurately determine the speed of the bicyclist. I don't have that problem with modulated headlights on motorcycles though. I suspect that is due to the differences in the frequency of the flash rate.

I suspect that bicycle flash rate is unregulated, but I don't know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
Be resilient. After an unpleasant surprise or close call, get your head back in the game quickly. Learn whatever lesson you can and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal03 View Post
The panties. Unbunch them.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation tends to be the right one.
Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BARF Terms of Service
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #25
sanjuro
Rider

Motorcycles: GSX-R 1000
Name: Steve
Well, I had to do some research here.

The average car/moto headlight is 700 lumens, the taillight is 100 (which a car would have at least 2, probably 4).

On all my bicycles, I use a 7lm rear light, which I thought was enough lights, but to my surprise, there are several 100-250lm rear lights. I also have a Cycliq rear camera which also puts out 100lm.

There are no regulations about rear light brightness or patterns: the only regulation is many areas require cyclists to have lights at night but no specifications.

The goal for rear lights is simply to be noticed by drivers. I'm not personally worried about if they can gauge my speed, despite sharing the road vs being in a separate bike lane. I don't think the speeds of casual riders, 10-12mph, vs my commute speed, 16-20mph, makes much of a difference to drivers.
sanjuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #26
sanjuro
Rider

Motorcycles: GSX-R 1000
Name: Steve
PS one of my riding friends believes blinkies attract drunk drivers, so he recommends steady rear lights.
sanjuro is offline   Reply With Quote