Notices

Old 05-14-2021, 08:42 PM   #1
NorCal Factory
Veteran

Contributor ++++ 2%

Motorcycles: Aprilia Tuano, Aprilia RSV4 RF, Aprilia Tuano, Husky TE 300 I
Name: Tom
What are the best roads for a one day ride east of Red Bluff

Iím staging at Red Bluff next weekend. I plan to ride Sat Hwy 36 west to Hayfork then Hwy 3 past Weaverville over Scott Mountain and work my way back to Red Bluff to ride the Eastern routes.

I could stay in Etna and go from there as an option.
What are the best roads East of Hwy 5 work exploring?
I want to finish up around 4-5 on Sunday in the Red Bluff area to get to Thunderhill by 5-6pm.

If anyone wants to join let me know.
NorCal Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #2
m0t0_ryder
RYD!

Contributor +

Motorcycles: Big to small. I like 'em all. 950ADVS-450EXC-R100GS-TW200-YW50P-XR600-Z1-ST90-model165Hummer
Name: John
From Red Bluff...

99 South to 32 East (Deer Creek Hwy).
Right (South) onto 36 then go right onto 89.
Follow that South to Hwy 70 - Feather River Hwy.
Turn right onto 70 and follow it back to 149 and Hwy 99.
North on 99 to get back to Red Bluff.

Or work North up towards Lassen Park and go thru it.

Have fun. Some great country up there.
m0t0_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:31 AM   #3
norcalkid
Veteran

Motorcycles: DL650
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0t0_ryder View Post
From Red Bluff...

99 South to 32 East (Deer Creek Hwy).
Right (South) onto 36 then go right onto 89.
Follow that South to Hwy 70 - Feather River Hwy.
Turn right onto 70 and follow it back to 149 and Hwy 99.
North on 99 to get back to Red Bluff.

Or work North up towards Lassen Park and go thru it.

Have fun. Some great country up there.
I'd skip 70 if doing this route. Head down 99 to Oroville and head up 162 and have lunch in Quincey. Much nicer road than 70 and less traffic. Then 89-36- and 32 down. (or skip 32 and head towards Lassen NP and back to Red Bluff. But the top section of 32 is really nice)

You could also do 99-32-36-Lassen NP-Red Bluff loop. Lassen park is really cool. I have always rode Chico-32-36-Lassen and back to Chico so can't really comment on the Lassen to Red Bluff section. Lassen is about 70 miles from Chico on nice roads. Butte Meadows exit to 36 is the best section of 32.

Also be aware that there can be a 20+ degree temp difference on 99 vs in the hills. IMO 162 is the best motorcycle road in the Chico area.

Last edited by norcalkid; 05-15-2021 at 06:48 AM..
norcalkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #4
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalkid View Post
I'd skip 70 if doing this route. Head down 99 to Oroville and head up 162 and have lunch in Quincey. Much nicer road than 70 and less traffic. Then 89-36- and 32 down. (or skip 32 and head towards Lassen NP and back to Red Bluff. But the top section of 32 is really nice)

You could also do 99-32-36-Lassen NP-Red Bluff loop. Lassen park is really cool. I have always rode Chico-32-36-Lassen and back to Chico so can't really comment on the Lassen to Red Bluff section. Lassen is about 70 miles from Chico on nice roads. Butte Meadows exit to 36 is the best section of 32.

Also be aware that there can be a 20+ degree temp difference on 99 vs in the hills. IMO 162 is the best motorcycle road in the Chico area.
SR 89

[IN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.

[IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
IS CLOSED FROM THE LASSEN VOLCANIC NAT'L PARK SOUTH BDRY TO THE JCT OF SR 44 /LASSEN LOOP/ (TEHAMA, SHASTA CO) - FOR THE WINTER - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

SR 162

[IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
NO TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS ARE REPORTED FOR THIS AREA.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:12 PM   #5
NorCal Factory
Veteran

Contributor ++++ 2%

Thanks for the ideas! Good point to check for status.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:20 AM   #6
NorCal Factory
Veteran

Contributor ++++ 2%

Tha is for the ideas! I staged at T-Hill leaving my track bike and Jeep at 11:30 then took Hwy 162 to Oroville then the less traveled road Orville - Quincy Hwy to Quincy for a late lunch then on to Chester and to Red Bluff. Going around Oroville, there are work crews and road work stopping traffic cleaning up from the horrible fire last year. They are still taking out burned out cars working on a Saturday. Lots of new power poles.

Day 2
Hwy 36-3-Weaverville and lunch in the nice shaded side yard of the Hot Dog place - be sure to check that out. It’s just as you get into town. And yes they have a lot more than hot dogs.
Get gas there. Then I continued on Hwy 3 over Scott mountain and just before Callahan there is the Gazelle- Callahan road. You take that to the end hang a right to Weed and are at Hwy 5. I had left Red Bluff at 9ish and wanted to get to T-Hill at 5 so I had to slab it.
All in all the roads were in super shape, the weather was great and even with shorter riding days ended up with 650 miles of mostly twisty roads.
If been to 36 and 3 and it was great to go back. The third weekend of May and I only saw two motorcycles on the backroads and very few cars or trucks. A great time to go.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #7
ST Guy
Veteran

Motorcycles: Honda ST1100 ABS (tweaked here and there)
Name:
Next time, plan to ride Hwy 96 from north to south. I think it's one of the most amazing roads in California and has very little traffic. Maybe stay at the inn at the Hoopa Indian reservation. It's right on the river and you can get a meal and wine/beer at the local market. Go for a swim.

Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
ST Guy is offline   Reply With Quote