BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Sport Touring / Cruising

Notices

Old 09-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #31
afm_147
Rookie

Motorcycles: A few!! VFR800(6th Gen) EX500-x3(2 race, 1 street) SRX600-x2(1race, 1 street)
Name: Michael
*4-5 hour loop I should had written.
afm_147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #32
danate
#hot4beks

AMA #: 2948810
Contributor + + + + + 4%

Motorcycles: Big pompous Beemers
Name: Nate
I’d be down to try 108. I’m coming from Sacramento and on Monday my buddy will be coming from Benicia. We could meet near Sonora and go from there. I’ll play around with the maps tomorrow and see what works best for me.
danate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:13 PM   #33
afm_147
Rookie

Motorcycles: A few!! VFR800(6th Gen) EX500-x3(2 race, 1 street) SRX600-x2(1race, 1 street)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danate View Post
Iíd be down to try 108. Iím coming from Sacramento and on Monday my buddy will be coming from Benicia. We could meet near Sonora and go from there. Iíll play around with the maps tomorrow and see what works best for me.
We could meet further up north too if you like, it might be easier for you 2, depending on where you guys are meeting up before heading East/South??

50 is not really good for much, unless you're in 4 wheels going to Tahoe/Reno.

But 88 is good both directions, 4 can be as well, and 395 might be a good initial meeting spot, if you think starting further north would be better? The other thing to consider, if you want a shorter trip back towards home, then starting in the south, and working north might be better for the 2 of you?

I possibly might be heading back to the Bay Area straight from this ride, but would prefer not to ride with all my "luggage", though it's not much really. Biggest issue, is no rack or hard bags ... yet!!
Old 09-22-2020, 11:14 PM   #34
danate
#hot4beks

Contributor + + + + + 4%

My original plan had been to go east on 88 and then west back on 4. PM me your number and we’ll figure it out.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:48 AM   #35
echo7tango
Road Warrior

Motorcycles: R1200RT
Name: Roy
I like 108 eastbound much better than westbound, for the dramatic drop from the summit down into Pickel Meadow. A beautiful ride.
echo7tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:32 AM   #36
bikeama
Super Moderator

AMA #: 1097
BARF Moderator
Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: 2020 BMW S1000XR Lowride.
Name: Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
I like 108 eastbound much better than westbound, for the dramatic drop from the summit down into Pickel Meadow. A beautiful ride.
If you do 108 besure to stop for a break and view here. Leavitt Falls Look on Googe Maps turn is not well marked. Great view and easy to just ride by.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1803.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	537496   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	537497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1812.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	537498  
bikeama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:55 AM   #37
echo7tango
Road Warrior

@bikeama, never knew it was there, thanks! I've done that ride / drive dozens of times and I've always bypassed that. Next time, I'll be sure to stop. I just marked it on my map.

My ex-in-laws lived in Bishop and over the years I've crossed just about every drivable/ridable route across the Sierras between I-80 in the north and CA-58 in the south, including Chowchilla Mountain Rd between Mariposa and the Wawona Golf Course (edited -- some of that is a 4x4 Jeep trail). I'm always on the lookout for new ways to go. Your pics and the web images are very scenic.

Thanks again, Bill.

Last edited by echo7tango; 09-23-2020 at 07:56 AM..
Old 09-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #38
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
I've crossed just about every drivable/ridable route across the Sierras between I-80 in the north and CA-58 in the south, including Chowchilla Mountain Rd between Mariposa and the Wawona Golf Course (edited -- some of that is a 4x4 Jeep trail).
Never heard of it before, just googled it. Google map shows it comes out on Hwy 41 in Fish Camp. Is there an actual way to get through to Wawona? I have also done most of the Sierra passes by car and bike, but only paved ones.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:31 PM   #39
echo7tango
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
Never heard of it before, just googled it. Google map shows it comes out on Hwy 41 in Fish Camp. Is there an actual way to get through to Wawona? I have also done most of the Sierra passes by car and bike, but only paved ones.
Hi Tom,

That gMap route you're looking at is only partly correct. Yes there is a way through. Or at least there used to be. But I'm pretty sure it's still there.

I drove it about 10 years ago, leaving the Wawona and heading west back to the SFBA. A restaurant worker at the Wawona who lived in Mariposa told me about the road. It was his regular commute route.

On gMaps it's easier to show you from the Mariposa end, but keep in mind that I drove it from east to west. From Mariposa, gMaps takes you almost to the Wawona and this is the route I took: https://is.gd/NLrEsP. That ends at lat/long 37.529293, -119.658384.

That is most of the way. The rest of it, which was the beginning of my run when I drove it, is best seen in gMaps satellite view, where you can see dirt trails that gMap won't route you on.

https://is.gd/pzYYn5 << gMap satellite view -- do not follow the route but pay attention to the two endpoints and you'll see dirt trails between the two points, which are lat/long 37.529293, -119.658384 and 37.535946, -119.656614.

I'm sure the road can be impassable when wet. I drove it in a stock 2001 Honda CR-V, a car with not much ground clearance and no transfer case. It was easy to do, and in the conditions back when I drove it I could have done it in a Original VW Beetle.

There were signs saying do not enter, and there may have been a gate or two back then, but they were open. Today, who knows what's there. It would be fun to find it again, it's a way to enter Yosemite without have to pass through a ranger checkpoint. But of course you can do that late at night too.

At the Wawona (east) end, I do remember that the very beginning took you onto the golf course, on a path with tire marks that looks like you shouldn't be on it because it's part of the golf course (fairway?), but the restaurant guy said that's where you go. I did, and it was easy to get out from there, meaning no intersections to decide which way to turn -- but my memory might be a little hazy on that detail because it's been several years.

The locals who live in the Mariposa area and work in the park use that route. If memory serves it took about a half hour to get through and onto pavement.

Cheers,
Roy
Old 09-24-2020, 08:30 AM   #40
Tom G
"The Deer Hunter"

Motorcycles: BMW R1200GSA
Name: Tom
Hi Roy,

following google earth, it looks like you are right. Would be interesting to explore some day, maybe not in the winter.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:05 AM   #41
matty
Veteran

Contributor + 3%

Motorcycles: Rat hawks, lil wr250r and Scott Scarabeo
Name: see above
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
Hi Roy,

following google earth, it looks like you are right. Would be interesting to explore some day, maybe not in the winter.
It was ridden and documented a couple of. Years ago: https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/f...d.php?t=531059
matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:42 AM   #42
afm_147
Rookie

Quote:
My original plan had been to go east on 88 and then west back on 4. PM me your number and weíll figure it out.
Unfortunately, I'm prob out at this time? My "projects", which really aren't mine, kinda ate up my week, and then out bar hopping last night hasn't helped me get to the VFR ... and it seems sicker than I had hoped it would be. I'm going to try to get to it a bit today, and need to post on the VFR Discussion Forum for some tips about which direction to go with things ... maybe between today and tomorrow I might sort it out, but then not so sure I would want to take it on a couple hundred mile jaunt? And risk another break down, waiting, and having to haul it back to the house in the back of a truck??
Old 09-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #43
afm_147
Rookie

Quote:
My original plan had been to go east on 88 and then west back on 4. PM me your number and weíll figure it out.
As far as the route, I would recommend doing 4W, back up towards Markleeville, and then 88E. Keep in mind, depending which way you're coming down from Sac, that parts of 50 have been closed with detours for the last week or so. Not sure if that is still the case, but wanted make sure you're aware of that??
Old 09-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #44
afm_147
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm_147 View Post
As far as the route, I would recommend doing 4W, back up towards Markleeville, and then 88E. Keep in mind, depending which way you're coming down from Sac, that parts of 50 have been closed with detours for the last week or so. Not sure if that is still the case, but wanted make sure you're aware of that??
WHOOPS! have that backwards ... 4E, and 88W back.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #45
danate
#hot4beks

Contributor + + + + + 4%

No worries. Hope you get your VFR running strong again.