BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Mini Bikes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2019, 06:54 AM   #16
Manimal
Mini-Moto Racing
 
Manimal's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator - Mini BARF
Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + +

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Milpitas
Motorcycles: are like crack!
Name: Daren
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Rides View Post
Nawwww dude, it's ring-da-ding-ding-ding-ding *puffs of smoke and good smelling*

And in my case when I had my Derbi "ring ding ding ding baaaaaaaawwwwwww"
I remember that, like it was yesterday. Joe had the same trouble, with his GPR. Not sure what it is with those Derbi factory carbs, or was it only with the GPR's I don't recall the Senda's having issues. Any regard, my Derbi (Senda 50cc and 72cc Metrakit) powered YSR w/ 24m FS Mikuni ran like a champ.

Oh! when it's running like a champ, it's braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!

Last edited by Manimal; 04-19-2019 at 06:55 AM..
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:59 AM   #17
secn8ure
Veteran
 
secn8ure's Avatar
 
Founding Member
Contributor + + + +

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 95828
Motorcycles: are cool
Name: Mark
The secret was to keep it stock fools lol!
secn8ure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:03 AM   #18
Manimal
Mini-Moto Racing
 
Manimal's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator - Mini BARF
Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + +

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Milpitas
Motorcycles: are like crack!
Name: Daren
BUMP for the Racers! Race weekend is here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
NorCal Moto Championship Round 2 is coming up fast. Race will be held at Dixon, Kinsmen Kart Track

Saturday Practice April 27th

Gates open at 9am & Close at 5pm
Practice fee $40

Sunday Race Day, April 28th

Gates open at 7am
Race fee $65 for first class
Spectaters $10

~Sunday~
-Riders Meeting 9am
-First Practice starts at 9:30

~Format~
-1st 5min. practice session (9:30-10:45 approx)
-2nd 5min. practice session (each class) (approx. 10:45-12)
-Lunch (12-12:30)
-Qualifying (each class)(12:30-1:30)
-Mains (1:30-???

(FORMAT TIMES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE DUE TO VARIABLES)
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #19
Manimal
Mini-Moto Racing
 
Manimal's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator - Mini BARF
Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + +

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Milpitas
Motorcycles: are like crack!
Name: Daren
Heads up Racers! NorCal Moto Challenge Race #4 is this weekend.

Open Practice on Sat, Race on Sun

<edit> Track will be open on Memorial Monday, $30 non-members
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_16.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	520448  

Last edited by Manimal; 05-21-2019 at 07:37 AM..
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 PM   #20
Sharky
Veteran
 
Sharky's Avatar
 
Founding Member

Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Walnut Creek
Motorcycles: GSX-R 1000; CR 250; Duke II; XR650L; KLX110; YSR 50;
Name:
My kid is getting mini streetbike fever. Just started learning how to ride the ysr. Might bring him out one of these days to watch and maybe roll around the track on a track day.
__________________
Rocky
Sharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #21
kcfcycle
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Concord
Motorcycles: Aprilia RSV4, BMW S1000rr, Kawi z125 pro
Name:
I'm coming out on Saturday to take my z125 on track for the first time. Can't wait to see what its like compared to the big tracks.
kcfcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #22
Roadstergal
Won the race (to the loo)
 
Roadstergal's Avatar
 
Contributor ++++++++2%

Join Date: May 2007
Location: South San Francisco
Motorcycles: '17 R6 track, '16 Little Kawk, ?? CR85 Frankenrace, '15 R3 track, '09 Zuma 125, '05 CRF
Name: Looney
Looking forward to finally making one of the races this weekend! It's rain or shine?
__________________
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data.'
Roadstergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:13 AM   #23
Manimal
Mini-Moto Racing
 
Manimal's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator - Mini BARF
Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + +

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Milpitas
Motorcycles: are like crack!
Name: Daren
Boy, was I rusty on Sat, of time I had at the track (left after the noon hour for a Grad party).

Made another trip on Monday - much better. Altho' the Kenda's I currently have on the Z125 are not quite up to par to my pace - front end slides and cold tearing, rear seemed to be ok (no issues). OTOH, a Ohlins Spring kit may be in order to help improve tire grip.

Any how, next Open Track Day is Sunday June 9th. Looking forward to seeing some of you there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61056515_10213829739718025_7326250609588305920_n.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	520822  

Last edited by Manimal; 05-29-2019 at 08:41 AM..
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:40 AM   #24
Roadstergal
Won the race (to the loo)
 
Roadstergal's Avatar
 
Contributor ++++++++2%

Join Date: May 2007
Location: South San Francisco
Motorcycles: '17 R6 track, '16 Little Kawk, ?? CR85 Frankenrace, '15 R3 track, '09 Zuma 125, '05 CRF
Name: Looney
I had a great time on my 85 on Saturday. Hoping to make it on the 9th.
__________________
The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data.'
Roadstergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #25
kcfcycle
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Concord
Motorcycles: Aprilia RSV4, BMW S1000rr, Kawi z125 pro
Name:
I had a blast on Saturday also - loved riding my little z125 out there. Already talking to Allen about a membership.

Tried Sonoma out on Monday and didn't have a good experience. Probably never going back there.
kcfcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #26
Manimal
Mini-Moto Racing
 
Manimal's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator - Mini BARF
Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + +

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Milpitas
Motorcycles: are like crack!
Name: Daren
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfcycle View Post
I had a blast on Saturday also - loved riding my little z125 out there. Already talking to Allen about a membership.

Tried Sonoma out on Monday and didn't have a good experience. Probably never going back there.


What time did you arrive on Sat? Looks like I may have missed you. Come out on the 9th ... I usually get a early start (around 10a) and leave around 2 / 3p, or depending on what's going on at home.

Sorry about your bad experience at Sonoma. I enjoy that track too. Too bad it is rarely open on weekends.
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:13 PM   #27
kcfcycle
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Concord
Motorcycles: Aprilia RSV4, BMW S1000rr, Kawi z125 pro
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post


What time did you arrive on Sat? Looks like I may have missed you. Come out on the 9th ... I usually get a early start (around 10a) and leave around 2 / 3p, or depending on what's going on at home.

Sorry about your bad experience at Sonoma. I enjoy that track too. Too bad it is rarely open on weekends.
I got there around 12ish because I was running late. I'll be out on the 9th granted all the parts I need to fix my bike (see below) arrive on time.

Sonoma may have been better on a normal Monday, maybe it was just crowded being a holiday and all. However I got stood up mid-corner twice, and literally pushed off the track once...that was in my first session. I get that I was slow, but after a few laps I had my lines and was only making small incremental changes. I was not hard to pass in anyway.

My second session out, another rider decided that instead of braking into a corner he would just shoot to the apex at full speed and use me as a bumper to slow down when I was fully tipped in...literally didn't brake at all by his own admission. Some story about his hand slipping off the brake (why go inside when coming in hot instead of just running off? probably because he was riding over his head).

All of these incidents were with supermoto riders in the 'slow' group BTW. Seemed like a lot of big egos stuck on a little track. Never experienced anything like it with well over 100 trackdays under my belt in the last few years on big bikes. I guess the slow group lap record was up for grabs that day.

So my bike is out of commission and I have bruises from shoulder to butt down my left side. Probably going to be a bit painful riding my 1000 at Thill West this weekend, but I'll muscle through.

Last edited by kcfcycle; 05-29-2019 at 09:54 PM..
kcfcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #28
FXCLM5
bombaclaud
 
FXCLM5's Avatar
 
1% Contributor

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: santa rosa
Motorcycles: Tuono V4, Grom
Name:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcfcycle View Post
I got there around 12ish because I was running late. I'll be out on the 9th granted all the parts I need to fix my bike (see below) arrive on time.

Sonoma may have been better on a normal Monday, maybe it was just crowded being a holiday and all. However I got stood up mid-corner twice, and literally pushed off the track once...that was in my first session. I get that I was slow, but after a few laps I had my lines and was only making small incremental changes. I was not hard to pass in anyway.

My second session out, another rider decided that instead of braking into a corner he would just shoot to the apex at full speed and use me as a bumper to slow down when I was fully tipped in...literally didn't brake at all by his own admission. Some story about his hand slipping off the brake (why go inside when coming in hot instead of just running off? probably because he was riding over his head).

All of these incidents were with supermoto riders in the 'slow' group BTW. Seemed like a lot of big egos stuck on a little track. Never experienced anything like it with well over 100 trackdays under my belt in the last few years on big bikes. I guess the slow group lap record was up for grabs that day.

So my bike is out of commission and I have bruises from shoulder to butt down my left side. Probably going to be a bit painful riding my 1000 at Thill West this weekend, but I'll muscle through.
ugh that sounds f'ed up

the track surely needs to understands how to enforce the rules correctly, what you described should not be happening on a track day.
__________________
RIP CulverDan 7/5/18
FXCLM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:33 AM   #29
Manimal
Mini-Moto Racing
 
Manimal's Avatar
 
BARF Moderator - Mini BARF
Founding Member
Contributor + + + + + +

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Milpitas
Motorcycles: are like crack!
Name: Daren
yeah, pretty F'd up Can't blame you for being a bit bitter.

To my own admission, of all the years I have tracked (and raced), I can account for a couple of blunders I've had - intention to late brake to pass a pack a slower riders, only to have miss shift and blew the corner. Fortunately, the pack adjusted to my mistake, and continued their way. After the session over, I had apologized to the riders.

The other, again, involved a slower rider - missed judged their intention. Well into a session, on a lap of following a few corners, thought the rider was going to take a wider line, and I made a pass to the inside, only to have the rider take a tighter line, while I was in the midst of making the pass, and had bumped bars. We both made it through, and am pretty sure the rider was a bit shook up, I put up a hand of an apology, as well as apologized after the session was over.

Another, where I was coming up on a slower rider into the Bus-stop at Stockton, while making the first turn into the chicane transition, the rider decided to come to or to a near stop to allow me to pass. Issue was, I was not prepared, and had set myself to follow the rider thru the chicane (as I typically do with other riders), with intentions of passing once on the straight. Any regard, I was in deep, reacted too late, applied a hand full of front brake to low slide, which carried me into the riders back wheel. I went down, he stayed up right. In the end, I got the worst of it - tore my MCL and a meniscus tear in my left knee.

I chalk each of these episodes as a lesson(s) learned, and approach slow riders a bit differently these days - a bit more reserved and patient.

Last edited by Manimal; 05-31-2019 at 07:45 AM..
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.