BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > Crash Analysis

Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 PM   #16
viva_brasil
Veteran

Contributor +++++++++++++++

Motorcycles: EBR 1190RX, 999, R1
Name: Nik
Roger on setup issues, will be fixed soon. Incrementally better than stock settings but working my way up from stock setup.

I would say it stepped out while rolling on throttle on the second half of T7 but at a throttle input that it usually holds fine in other situations. More than neutral / maintenance throttle. It appears others have similar experience, caused primarily by the slight off camber section there. The shorter swingarm, steeper steering angle reduces rear end stability on corner exit from my experience. More black strips. I can picture the physics in my head but don't have the theory to translate into words

Builds:
MonsterStrada
999S
Honda VTR1000F
2VSBK
798S
viva_brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #17
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
IMO, screw working up from stock settings. Pay a good tuner for their in-range setup and run it. It’s gonna take years of self-tuning to get anywhere close to that. All that time you should be working on your riding on a properly setup bike - not working on riding around bike issues and confusing yourself with setup problems.

Stability is not the same thing as grip. You can have one without the other, both, or neither ��
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:37 AM   #18
viva_brasil
Veteran

The bike was set up by a suspension tuner with the current settings, we just kept adding compression and a bit of preload and the front end got better.

I don't usually even think about setup, I just rode the R1 and it made me realize that there's room for improvement on the EBR. But both bikes are very stable and give feedback in different ways.

The rear end slides I wouldn't say are a stability issue - the bike was very stable. As it is in other sections of the track where I can expect / predict the slide. I just wasn't expecting the slide in that section on the EBR, and the almost identical slide through a piece of Riverside on the R1. And I believe it is a slight off camber piece of the track there that lowered the throttle % threshold for a slide.

Builds:
MonsterStrada
999S
Honda VTR1000F
2VSBK
798S
Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #19
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_brasil View Post
The bike was set up by a suspension tuner with the current settings, we just kept adding compression and a bit of preload and the front end got better.
thats not the setup I mean. a trackside setup on out-of-range components isnt even halfway to producing a bike that will get around a racetrack like it should. there are 15+ major parameters that go into a good setup, most of which arent (or cant be) adjusted by a trackside tuner. so u havent even scratched the surface yet.

a real setup is where u drop your suspension off a race tuner's shop for new springs, damping curves, and maybe some other custom work. all the parameters are set and u are told where to mount the forks. then u spend some more time at the track with the same tuner to optimize it further for your riding.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #20
viva_brasil
Veteran

Oh wow, yea that's something I'll aspire to - I'd like to start racing AFM hoping to do a NRS this year, and then I can justify going deeper down that rabbit hole.

But usually I just set it and forget it... Riding different bikes is what has helped me understand what suits my riding and where one set up has advantages over another. And now I'm going deeper on the EBR's setup.

appreciate the feedback and discussion! thank you

Builds:
MonsterStrada
999S
Honda VTR1000F
2VSBK
798S
Old 05-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #21
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
One thing about setup VS all the % things of throttle/ grip, etc; line choice and tire pressure. Remember: your tire is a part of the suspension as well. Also remember; if you can't find grip somewhere, try a different line (for various reasons).

I do find the idea of spinning through T7 odd only because it's such a high speed corner at some decent lean angle @ either the top of one gear or mid way through the next (on my bikes). Anything happening would seem to be imperceptible from the seat. If the back is stepping out, that's creepy A/F in that place on the track. Don't discount that the RPM's rise considerably into T7 and drop coming off T7 when you get back on the fat part of the tire. Maybe that's what's going on?

T7 does have a slight dip off the exit and I think this is where the bar wag comes from. I get it near every lap, but I'm also running a really short wheelbase and maybe that has to do with it. None the less, with your comments above, you can try a line change if the slides are a problem. I tried to learn to go faster with Data Aq back about 7-8 years ago or so. It was neat, but it ended up stunting my "from the bars" learning and focused me not he wrong aspects of what makes a bike/ rider quick. In the end, Ross Bentley's books helped way more...which was off, but perfect for my needs.

The faster you go, the looser the bike will feel IME. YMMV.
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".
Holeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:34 PM   #22
viva_brasil
Veteran

Yea líne change is in order, I'm rushing into T7 and end up with too much lean angle on the bad side of the track as I'm trying to add throttle. It's definitely a slide, smooth but still comes out a bit (yea at 100+). Same thing happened on Riverside but I was on street tires there so the threshold was lower.

The EBR feels loose but it's predictable and hooks up really well mid-corner. The R1 I ride more neat and tidy (it also responds to much lighter inputs) and the chassis feels more stable that way. I don't have data just feeling at the bars and some feedback I managed to get from chasing and being chased by Josh Hayes. Tried to ride the R1 like the EBR at first and was losing a lot of time (though felt very fast). Now to practice riding the EBR líke the R1 and get some basic data...

Builds:
MonsterStrada
999S
Honda VTR1000F
2VSBK
798S
Old 06-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #23
KenM

Motorcycles: ZX10R
Name:
Can't say I'm fond of BW paint. I've only rode there a handful of times but have slipped on paint at least once each track day. Sketchy. I try to avoid unless straight up and down.

Was there on a few weekends ago and there must have been 15 wrecks. Ambulance rolled 4-5 times. paint was either wet or cold and neither was good. don't know how many wrecks was from paint but I'm sure some.
KenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #24
LongGoneJohn
Gone

AMA #: 2809843
Founding Member
Contributor ++++ 3%

Motorcycles: .
Name:
The real question, Nik, is how is that beautiful EBR? Please tell me it's okay!
LongGoneJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #25
viva_brasil
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerin'Hank View Post
The real question, Nik, is how is that beautiful EBR? Please tell me it's okay!
Ha! Yes Bike is fine, was worried the front end was bent but it's all straight. It's coming back even better than before

Builds:
MonsterStrada
999S
Honda VTR1000F
2VSBK
798S
Old 06-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #26
LongGoneJohn
Gone

AMA #: 2809843
Founding Member