BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Club House > Racers Corner

Old 05-23-2019, 06:33 AM   #16
jbawden
Rookie

Motorcycles: Suzuki's, KTM, a Beta!
Name: Jon
Man I really suck at the internet if you had to explain that I was joking Berto.

I've crashed around some of the greatest AFM racers in the last 20 years in an effort to be fast like them. I have custom suits and off the shelf suits and hands down the custom suits seem to hold up better. But, now I have a body by IPA (this is a joke) and off the shelf works for now (that is real).
jbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #17
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor +++++++++ ++++++++++++++3%

Motorcycles: Yamasuzhonaki 1450
Name: Beelzebub
I'll put in a word for Vanson. They come out to SF once a year and measure, and they have sales. I've had three sets and they are absolutely the best leathers to crash in.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #18
Holeshot
Super Moderator

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Contributor / Barf Racer
Barfie Winner 2014 & 2017

Motorcycles: Monica Sweetheart!!!!
Name: Berto
I love how Cred in this thread comes in the form of individual crash count!
Posted as a BARF Member, NOT Moderator unless specifically noted as such. These opinions do not reflect the opinion of the BARF MODERATORS nor BARF itself. These are the opinions and posts of solely the posting member unless noted as such: "MOD HAT ON".
Holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #19
synfinatic
Wannabe Fast Guy

Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Duzucati 650, wr250f
Name: Aaron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
First year/ novice riders end up in off the rack suits. The more experienced riders trend towards custom stuff. For $1,200 or so, good custom stuff can be had.

Mythos and ACT are some the more used in California. Both are exceptional for the price. The benefit to custom is the repair options when you do crash. Off the rack suits can be more problematic and frankly, don't fit like a glove.

I moved from 12 years of Helimot's to ACT leathers and couldn't be happier. Andy Chung is in LA and does an excellent job, IMO/ IME. You've seen mine and Siglin's run around in them...good stuff so far. There is airbag options in ACT as well.
ACT has airbag now? Interesting... Does Andy do kangaroo too?
AFM #22
http://synfin.net
Thanks to everyone who sponsors me:
Spears Enterprises | Catalyst Reaction | CTRacing | Helimot | Woodcraft | Motion Pro | Armour Bodies | Motorex | GP Frame & Wheel | Raceimage Graphics | Pega Precision
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you being subtle." ó Linus Torvalds
synfinatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #20
jbawden
Rookie

Motorcycles: Suzuki's, KTM, a Beta!
Name: Jon
By that measure, you're winning.

Last edited by jbawden; 05-24-2019 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: grammer
jbawden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:30 AM   #21
FourThreeSix
Tall Guy on a Little Bike

Motorcycles: 2019 ZX-6Rrrrr
Name: Gordon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbawden View Post
By that measure, your winning.

If you can spend the coin, the new airbag suits are really awesome. I run an Alpinestars suit with Tech-Air and was lucky enough to test it out a few months ago. Worked flawlessly and I was up and about with no issues whatsoever. Highly recommend going that route.
FourThreeSix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:23 AM   #22
Honey Badger
...iz a girl

BARF Moderator: Racers Corner BARF Racer
1% Contributor
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: 2017 ZX10R (race); 2016 ZX10R (street); 1978 CB750-4
Name: AJ
Output out front can seem painful - it's less painful than the alternative in my experience.

A good suit will be well worth the money and will last. Most of my suits up to now have been Dainese, had a custom Pilot as my first one-piece, it worked quite nicely too.

My D-Air (Mugello) I have set off, but (unfortunately) got to REALLY test it with a rather epic highside last month - my rear end still took a nasty hit, and a leg was a bit cranky, but no ER visits, no doctors, no whiplash, and the way my upper body felt, I wouldn't have even known I crashed (although I was trying out for the next Superman opening).

Not cheap up front - more than paid for itself in that one though.

I have a Mithos with TechAir on the way, won't go back to non-airbag suits now....

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2019 sponsors and supporters!!
RiderzLaw; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; BARF Racing; MCTech; DareDevil Motorsports; Fast Franks Racing; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Chicken Hawk Racing; Skratch Labs

BARF TOS
Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #23
Gixxer343
slow as shit. No really

Contributor + + + + + +

Motorcycles: 2016 BMW R1200GS,07í Gsxr 750, 82 CB900C project
Name: JC
Man you bay area cats sure can throw some coin around! Iím not trying to say just buy a piece of crap suit but 1200 or 1500 bucks for leathers when you can get a great alpinestars or other VERY reputable brand for much less seems silly. The Leather isnt issue, the armor is. Most serious injury will come from some type of blunt force trauma, not road rash. Neck, head, limbs and joints being bounced around and smacking the ground or another object like your bike. If the suit has good CE rated armor in the right spots it will work like a charm. Good suit, helmet, gloves, boots, and back protector= go ride. When I say good I dont mean $400 for boots or a suit like I mentioned. Thats kooky talk. Short of Lorenzoís high side I think Ill be fine in a much more affordable getup. The vast majority of get offs are low sides that have you leaving the track surface relatively quickly and put you in the grass or gravel. If you can keep the tumbling to a minimum you should fare well.
Now, fit is another issue all together that I would completely agree with you guys on. Im positive your custom Mucho Dinero suit fits a shit ton better than my off the rack Cortech. But im not sleeping in the damn thing. 20 minutes on 40 minutes off, 7 times- go home.
All Im saying is that we can get by with spending much less and still be just as protected. Would I like an airbag- sure. Can I afford it, no. It just seems like over the last couple years I cant swing a dead cat without hitting a guy in a Dianese suit and cant help but think much of it comes from the image or the desire to look like the other big spenders.
You guys arent wrong, I just want to open the idea that there are more affordable options that will work.
Too long, I know. Sorry.
Dismounts soapbox

Bring on the heat
Gixxer343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #24
stangmx13
not Stan

Contributor
BrotoGP

Motorcycles: 04' 600RR, 09' 600RR, 15' R6
Name: Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer343 View Post
Man you bay area cats sure can throw some coin around! Iím not trying to say just buy a piece of crap suit but 1200 or 1500 bucks for leathers when you can get a great alpinestars or other VERY reputable brand for much less seems silly. The Leather isnt issue, the armor is. Most serious injury will come from some type of blunt force trauma, not road rash. Neck, head, limbs and joints being bounced around and smacking the ground or another object like your bike. If the suit has good CE rated armor in the right spots it will work like a charm. Good suit, helmet, gloves, boots, and back protector= go ride. When I say good I dont mean $400 for boots or a suit like I mentioned. Thats kooky talk. Short of Lorenzoís high side I think Ill be fine in a much more affordable getup. The vast majority of get offs are low sides that have you leaving the track surface relatively quickly and put you in the grass or gravel. If you can keep the tumbling to a minimum you should fare well.
Now, fit is another issue all together that I would completely agree with you guys on. Im positive your custom Mucho Dinero suit fits a shit ton better than my off the rack Cortech. But im not sleeping in the damn thing. 20 minutes on 40 minutes off, 7 times- go home.
All Im saying is that we can get by with spending much less and still be just as protected. Would I like an airbag- sure. Can I afford it, no. It just seems like over the last couple years I cant swing a dead cat without hitting a guy in a Dianese suit and cant help but think much of it comes from the image or the desire to look like the other big spenders.
You guys arent wrong, I just want to open the idea that there are more affordable options that will work.
Too long, I know. Sorry.
Dismounts soapbox

Bring on the heat
wanna compare armor to my Dainese Kyalami? the armor is very different btw expensive and inexpensive suits, even if they both carry a CE rating. grab the shoulder of a cheaper suit when someone isnt wearing it... does it fold it half?

fit is very important for more than just comfort. a proper fit keeps the armor in place. a common example is loose legs allow the kneepads to rotate too. so my awesome fitting suit is safer.

ive tried so many suits on - A*, Dainese, Cortech, JoeRocket, Spidi, Fieldsheer, Pilot. u really get what u pay for.
WERA #513 / AFM #513R / MotoAmerica #31
Follow me on IG @rwpierce13
Thanks to: RiderzLaw Vortex
stangmx13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:50 PM   #25
synfinatic
Wannabe Fast Guy

Contributor + + +

Motorcycles: Duzucati 650, wr250f
Name: Aaron
Quote:
Too long, I know. Sorry.
Dismounts soapbox

Bring on the heat
The problem I've seen with "more affordable options" is that the suits end up being single-use items. Poor fitment, blown stitches after small offs, stitches in the wrong places because they used smaller leather panels which are a way to keep costs down, lower quality or incorrectly placed stretch panels which get holes, etc. I've even seen lower quality leather which didn't end up providing the protection that I've come to expect from higher quality suits. And CE is just a standard which sets minimum guidelines. You can't assume all CE armor is equally as good.

I mean, I get it... it's an expensive hobby and we're all looking to save $$$ where we can. Cheap suits are a bit penny-wise, pound foolish though if you ask me. For a long time my suit, boots, gloves and helmet were worth more than my race bike. Never once regretted spending my hard earned money on protecting my ass.
AFM #22
http://synfin.net
Thanks to everyone who sponsors me:
Spears Enterprises | Catalyst Reaction | CTRacing | Helimot | Woodcraft | Motion Pro | Armour Bodies | Motorex | GP Frame & Wheel | Raceimage Graphics | Pega Precision
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you being subtle." ó Linus Torvalds
synfinatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #26
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by synfinatic View Post
The problem I've seen with "more affordable options" is that the suits end up being single-use items. Poor fitment, blown stitches after small offs, stitches in the wrong places because they used smaller leather panels which are a way to keep costs down, lower quality or incorrectly placed stretch panels which get holes, etc. I've even seen lower quality leather which didn't end up providing the protection that I've come to expect from higher quality suits. And CE is just a standard which sets minimum guidelines. You can't assume all CE armor is equally as good.

I mean, I get it... it's an expensive hobby and we're all looking to save $$$ where we can. Cheap suits are a bit penny-wise, pound foolish though if you ask me. For a long time my suit, boots, gloves and helmet were worth more than my race bike. Never once regretted spending my hard earned money on protecting my ass.
This. Cheap suits are great if you don't crash much. On the track I'd rather wear an expensive suit that holds up, not a cheap one that blows up.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:29 AM   #27
Kalvin00
Veteran

Motorcycles: 18 KTM SDR, 16 Triumph Tiger 800XCA, 06SV650 Race
Name:
Quote:
Would I like an airbag- sure. Can I afford it, no. It just seems like over the last couple years I cant swing a dead cat without hitting a guy in a Dianese suit and cant help but think much of it comes from the image or the desire to look like the other big spenders.
The decrease in injuries in GP/WSBK/etc due to airbags says it all for me.

If I can prevent a broken clavicle or ribs thanks to my airbag suit, it paid for itself and more. I've also tested mine out in a lowside, and it's hard to say whether it made a difference but I know that I never felt my shoulder hitting the ground.
Kalvin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #28
jaybocc2
o lento

AMA #3692962

Motorcycles: 05 zx10r (street), 11 zx10r (track), 13 zx10r (race)
Name: Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvin00 View Post
The decrease in injuries in GP/WSBK/etc due to airbags says it all for me.

If I can prevent a broken clavicle or ribs thanks to my airbag suit, it paid for itself and more. I've also tested mine out in a lowside, and it's hard to say whether it made a difference but I know that I never felt my shoulder hitting the ground.
This.

I could have bought multiple custom suits from Vircos/Mithos and an airbag from each time i had to have surgery for an internal fixation of a bone that i broke.

Heck i could probably have a few new zx10rs too.
AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
jaybocc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:59 AM   #29
afm199
Veteran

Mod Alumni
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybocc2 View Post
This.

I could have bought multiple custom suits from Vircos/Mithos and an airbag from each time i had to have surgery for an internal fixation of a bone that i broke.

Heck i could probably have a few new zx10rs too.
Have you considered getting some coaching to help you with why you crash so much?
Old 05-28-2019, 03:53 PM   #30
jaybocc2
o lento

AMA #3692962

Motorcycles: 05 zx10r (street), 11 zx10r (track), 13 zx10r (race)
Name: Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by afm199 View Post
Have you considered getting some coaching to help you with why you crash so much?
Ahaha thanks Ernest, i suppose i set myself up for that... FWIW only have 2 track incidents out of 3 years track riding/racing, one with an airbag and one with out, guess which one broke bones? :P

The really big bad injuries happened on the street involved cagers... which i would still 100% recommend buying the A* street airbag with jacket as it probably would have kept me out of the hospital at least once.

But i would definitely recommend any of the schools as well, having taken a few including K@TT/C@TT's 2day and michael/dave's one day w/PTT and Pridmores.
AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
jaybocc2 is offline   Reply With Quote