BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Rider’s Rights. Presented by Cycle Gear > Land Use/OHV Parks

Old 05-01-2019, 08:44 AM   #31
Brewster
Rookie

Motorcycles: KLX300
Name:
SB 767 is scheduled to be heard in the Committee for Appropriations on May 6.

Ride on
Brewster
CORVA
Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #32
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman
Time to call!!! / Email your reps and the committee members.!

VOICE YOUR OPPOSITION!!
budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #33
Brewster
Rookie

Name:
SB 767 was passed out of the State Senate Appropriations Committee. Next stop should be the State Senate floor where it is most likely to pass. Then, it will be run through the State Assembly, where it was stopped last year.

Ride on
Brewster
CORVA
Old 05-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #34
sportbiker929
Track Day Junkie

Motorcycles: R1200GSA WC, 996s, CRF450R, MV 1000F4, Mooney M20C, Cessna 150H
Name: Mitch
This state!!!
sportbiker929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #35
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
I just got an alert from the AMA that next step the the Senate floor. That means, if it passes there, it is halfway there.

That means we all need to contact our Senator today, or the next couple of days and register your opposition. All you have to do is tell them to record your opposition.

Celeste and the Tesla Trolls will certainly be doing this.

AMA says...

Senate Bill 767, which encourages the sale of the Carnegie expansion property, known as the Alameda-Tesla Expansion Area, has passed out of the final Senate committee and is now eligible for a vote on the floor. The land in question was purchased using funds from the Off Highway Vehicle Trust Fund, with agreement as to the future purpose of the land signed by adjacent landowners.

Subsequent to the purchase of the land, extensive work was undertaken to correct previous neglect and to bring the property up to the high environmental standards mandated by state law. Instead of recognizing this fact, the bill instead seeks to deny the OHV community a long overdue opportunity for increased motorized recreational opportunities.

Two years ago, the legislature widely supported and passed S.B. 249 (Allen, Chapter 459, Statutes of 2017), which created a series of environmental responsibilities including monitoring and review for all land overseen by State Parks and managed by the Off Highway Motorized Recreation Division. The environmental responsibilities in S.B. 249 go far beyond what any local county, city or nonprofit is mandated to do or can afford to provide.

Furthermore, this legislation would set a dangerous precedent by emboldening local landowners who object to the location of any state park, preserve or beach to push legislation to privatize that specific location. Passage of this legislation would support privatization of public land and hurt many Californians looking forward to enjoying experiences the Alameda-Tesla Expansion Area will have to offer upon completion.

State parks should remain for the benefit of all Californians, not just a select few.

AMA members, and indeed, all OHV recreationists must immediately contact their elected officials and remind them of the agreement that was made when the expansion properties were acquired. It is also important to remind them that the program uses no General Fund monies and is, in fact, based on a user-pay, user-benefit style model. Monies used to pay for the program include those taxes collected on fuel, SVRA entrance fees and vehicle registrations (green and red stickers).

The OHV community has long paid its own way and will continue to do so, as long as these monies are used for their intended purpose.

Take Action https://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/...RPZlPvfyE&lp=0

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #36
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
status here: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201920200SB767

Not sure what "ordered to third reading means"...

Terms of Service:

Old 05-24-2019, 09:25 AM   #37
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '18 Scorpa 300, '14 Gas Gas xc300r, '93 KTM 550 MXC, 2014 500 EXC
Name:
Yeah, looks like without intervention from Newsome we may loose the expansion....All the bill does is "allow" parks and rec to sell the property if they see fit. We get some public comment on it at that point but we all know how much that makes a difference...Then the money they get from selling it goes back to parks and rec not to OHV directly (department rather than division) so once again OHV gets the short end. Good thing we get to pay for the stickers and entrance fees to fund a land purchase that then gets sold with the monies then getting diverted to the general P+R fund not OHV.

Makes one want to disregard any fees to OHV as the State will just divert them for something else and give us less places to ride. Wonder if the Garamendiis will get to purchase the property at below market...how ironic and indicative of a stacked deck that would be...

And my Senator voted for it (skinner) even though I wrote a letter...the nerve!

The bill:

ENATE BILL No. 767
Introduced by Senator Glazer
(Principal coauthor: Assembly Member Bauer-Kahan)
(Coauthors: Senators Hill, Wieckowski, and Wiener)
(Coauthors: Assembly Members Berman, Chu, Levine, and Quirk)
February 22, 2019
An act to add Section 5090.42 to the Public Resources Code, relating to parks and recreation.
legislative counsel’s digest
SB 767, as introduced, Glazer. Off-highway vehicular recreation: Carnegie State Vehicular Recreation Area: Alameda-Tesla Expansion Area.
The Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Act of 2003 creates the Division of Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation within the Department of Parks and Recreation. The act gives the division certain duties and responsibilities, including the planning, acquisition, development, conservation, and restoration of lands in state vehicular recreation areas. Existing law creates the Off-Highway Vehicle Trust Fund to be the repository of certain moneys, including certain fees received by the department for the use of state vehicular recreation areas. Existing law requires the revenues in the fund to be available, upon appropriation, for grants and cooperative agreements, as specified, the support of the division, and the planning, acquisition, development, mitigation, construction, maintenance, administration, operation, restoration, and conservation of lands in state vehicular recreation areas and certain other areas.
This bill would authorize the department to dispose of the portion of the Carnegie State Vehicular Recreation Area known as the “Alameda-Tesla Expansion Area” to permanently preserve that land
for conservation purposes, as specified, if the department determines that disposing of the land is in the public interest. The bill would require that the land only be sold to a local agency or nonprofit organization for use as a park or other open-space purpose, as specified. The bill would require any revenue from the disposition of the land to be deposited in the Off-Highway Vehicle Trust Fund.
Vote: majority. Appropriation: no. Fiscal committee: yes. State-mandated local program: no.
The people of the State of California do enact as follows:
line 1 SECTION 1. Section 5090.42 is added to the Public Resources line 2 Code, to read:
line 3 5090.42. (a) Notwithstanding Sections 11011 and 11011.1 of line 4 the Government Code, the department may dispose of the portion line 5 of the Carnegie State Vehicular Recreation Area known as the line 6 “Alameda-Tesla Expansion Area,” which encompasses line 7 approximately 3,100 acres in the County of Alameda, to line 8 permanently preserve that land for conservation purposes by sale line 9 of a perpetual recorded conservation easement deed restriction or line 10 fee title if the department, after holding a public hearing on the line 11 matter and in consultation with stakeholders, determines that line 12 disposing of the land is in the public interest.
line 13 (b) (1) If the department determines that disposing of the land line 14 is in the public interest, the Department of General Services may line 15 sell the land or otherwise dispose of the land pursuant to this line 16 authorization upon any terms and conditions and subject to any line 17 reservations and exceptions that the Department of General line 18 Services deems to be in the best interests of the state.
line 19 (2) The Department of General Services shall sell the land only line 20 to a local agency or nonprofit organization for use as a park or line 21 other open-space purpose. The land shall be sold for no less than line 22 the original purchase price based on the actual parcels to be line 23 included in the sale.
line 24 (3) For purposes of this subdivision, “park or other open-space line 25 purpose” means a use of the land’s natural resources that is line 26 consistent with a conservation purpose, including preservation of line 27 native biological diversity, wildlife habitats, and cultural resources, line 28 the enjoyment of scenic beauty, and nonmotorized public line 29 recreation.
SB 767 — 2 —
line 1 (c) Any revenue from the disposition of the land shall be line 2 deposited in the fund.

Last edited by elemetal; 05-24-2019 at 09:26 AM..
elemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:02 PM   #38
Brewster
Rookie

Name:
If the land was sold, the money goes to OHV, NOT parks and rec.

"The bill would require any revenue from the disposition of the land to be deposited in the Off-Highway Vehicle Trust Fund."

Ride on
Brewster
Your CORVA guy.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:27 AM   #39
elemetal
3 pings and a zing

Contributor +

Motorcycles: '18 Scorpa 300, '14 Gas Gas xc300r, '93 KTM 550 MXC, 2014 500 EXC
Name:
Thanks for the correction Brewster. The may still take it from the fund as they have countless times in the past but at least the proceeds from the sale won't go directly to P+R.
elemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #40
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++

I understand this will be heard in committee this week
https://awpw.assembly.ca.gov/content/members-staff

Can you guys represented by Chu contact him?

Kansen Chu Dem - 25 Contact Assembly Member Kansen Chu
Capitol Office, Room 3126
P.O. Box 942849, Sacramento, CA 94249-0025; (916) 319-2025

Terms of Service:

Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #41
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++

I just sent this:

This content has been reintroduced

I have been talking to your office for some years in regards to off highway vehicle (OHV) access issues.

I would like my representatives to oppose the continuing waste of the state’s resources in Celeste Garamendi’s campaign against OHV users. It seems a personal issue as well as a perceived economic one, as her husband owns a 7500 acre ranch adjacent to the State Park. This ranch is used for cattle and hunting, among other things.

Through her family wealth and political influence, Garamendi has been able to have legislation introduced and lawsuits filed to cause the state to expend tremendous amounts of money to continue to operate this State Park that has been serving the community since 1974.

The few of Garamendi’s assaults upon the OHV community and State Park that I am aware of are
The Fisherman’s Lawsuit of 2008.
Four lawsuits filed by her and her compatriots challenging the latest Carnegie General Plan approved in 2016; “Friends of Tesla Park”, SPRAWLDEF”, Alameda County Parks and the Connolly Ranch.
SB 249, meant to eviscerate the OHVMR Division of State Parks.
AB 1316, meant to encourage State Parks to sell two thirds of the park territory to SPRAWLDEF, or some other entity which she has influence; this would have set a bad legislative precedent by restricting who could purchase the property, how the property would be used if a sale occurred, and allow the property to be sold at below market price.
Closure of the SRI creek crossing under the guise of the Connolly Ranch will lose access to their property because of physical destruction of their easement.

SB 767 is a reintroduction of the content of last year’s AB1316.

Because almost anyone can put anything on the internet, Garamendi has continued to misrepresent the nature of the OHV activity at this, and other SVRA’s. In reality, these parks are nature preserves that are well managed that provide critical facilities for this community of public land users.

It is ironic that the Garamendi and Connolly families have been operating incredibly destructive cattle ranching operations for more than a century.

I ask you to represent my communities’s interests, as opposed to that of a few wealthy individuals. They may have more money, and Connolly is a lawyer, but we are more voters. We do not have a lot of money, and the Garamendi tactic seem to be to continue to put up roadblocks until our community and the State run out of money, or frankly, run out of energy to continue to challenge her legislative and legal campaign.

Please do not facilitate Garamendi’s abuse of our government.

I understand this will be heard by the Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee that Kalra is on.
I would like a written response fro the Assemblymember to share with my community.

I will call.

Terms of Service:

Old 06-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #42
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++

I just talked to Christina at Kalra's office. She will note that I oppose the bill. That is easy for everyone to do.

You can do it here:
http://www.legislature.ca.gov/legisl...egislator.html

But I actually talked to her for four minutes because I am so appalled that the premis is to take public land, our state park, out of the hands of the park system and sell it to some private entity endorsed by Celeste and her Tesla Trolls.

Grrrr... Let State parks do their job. They can be trusted. Celeste cannot.

Terms of Service:

Last edited by Butch; 06-12-2019 at 02:35 PM..
Old 06-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #43
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++

My Assemblymember Ash Kalra...

I just talked to Erika Salazar, who used to be in the SJ office and is now in Sacramento. She was on our tour of Metcalf last year when we saw elk and other spectacular stuff.
She said the committee hearing is June 18.

I, er, demanded, a personal response from Kalra about how he could support this legislation which is clearly brought forth by wealthy private interest. Sell off a public park? Grrrr…

I talked to Amy (CORVA awesomeness) earlier and am at a loss at what else to do if we cannot get the kids to make some noise.
Kids? What I mean is our OHV community, but the kids are the ones who really have to care if they want to have places to ride.

EDIT: The Sac number that I used was 919-319-2027 all you have to say is "pleas record my oposition to SB 766" or you could just email it to... Erika.Salazar@asm.ca.gov

Terms of Service:

Last edited by Butch; 06-12-2019 at 02:42 PM..
Old 06-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #44
Butch
poseur

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +++

dudes, look at the previous post and please act.

Terms of Service:

Old 06-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #45
budman
General Menace

AMA Life Member #203453
Highway Aviator
Founding Member
Top Percent Poster
Community Contributor + BB
Moto Junkie

Motorcycles: A few here and there
Name: Budman