BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Go Back   BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum > Moto > LEO Forum

Old 05-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
vio
Cream Puff???

Motorcycles: one
Name: Violet
How does getting a ticket work to just pay it?

I got the ticket and it gave me a date to appear in court before end of July and was wondering.. do I wait for something in the mail that says I can just mail in money or do the online school thing to clear it, or do I have to go to the Union City Court and show up. I can't take time off work easy and just would pay and get this cleared.

Is there some way I can go online and pay it??

I don't get these often as I obey and respect my privilege to drive. Anyway.. sorry for my ignorance.. I would like to clear this up (edit: without having to take time off work to go to court). and I don't know how.

Thanks in advance LEOs..

Last edited by vio; 05-24-2019 at 10:36 AM..
vio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
thedub
Octane Socks

AMA #: 2952025

Motorcycles: R6, Tiger 800, KTM 500, KTM 350
Name: Wiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by vio View Post
do I wait for something in the mail that says I can just mail in money or do the online school thing to clear it
Yes. You are going to get a Courtesy Notice from the court prior to your Appearance Date explaining your options.
AFM #77, D36 #166N
Thanks for the support;
Sidi|Motion Pro|C@TT|Vortex|Shoei
thedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Nick

BARF Moderator
Founding Member
Contributor +

Motorcycles: make vroom noises
Name: .
You should get a courtesy notice, but it’s important to keep track of the appearance date on the yellow copy you were given by the officer. The courtesy notice is not 100% guaranteed to arrive since it’s just regular snail mail and not certified mail.

You can check the county court’s website and see if the ticket has been processed. I’d wait about 2 weeks for processing and then check. There may be instructions on how to pay online there.

Don’t forget to look into traffic school. If you are eligible, it will prevent the DMV point from being reported to your insurance company and keep your rates lower.
Last edited by Jesus; Yesterday at 01:32 PM...

Last edited by Nick; 05-24-2019 at 10:45 AM..
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
boney
Miles > Posts

AMA #2942928
Barfie Winner 2017
Contributor
Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: Yes please!
Name: Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Don’t forget to look into traffic school. If you are eligible, it will prevent the DMV point from being reported to your insurance company and keep your rates lower.
I'm not an LEO. I've never even played one on TV. But I may have met a few from various agencies along the side of the road.

My *ahem* experience is that going to online traffic school is only slightly more costly than paying the regular fee, only you get to spend a few hours online and as Nick says, the insurance company doesn't find out. It also allows you to make another mistake in the near future without the insurance company going completely nuts over it.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
vio
Cream Puff???

if i have the online school option i will definitely take it.

i got the ticket in mid april. so it should be processed. i guess i go to union city''s website ? to see about this ticket. i got nothing in the mail.. and i'm asking because i have until end 24th of next month to show up in court. why i'm concerned that i didn't get some kind of info or something.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
vio
Cream Puff???

upps.. check county court website..
Old 05-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #7
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney View Post
My *ahem* experience is that going to online traffic school is only slightly more costly than paying the regular fee, only you get to spend a few hours online and as Nick says, the insurance company doesn't find out. It also allows you to make another mistake in the near future without the insurance company going completely nuts over it.
I thought that taking traffic school actually removed the point from your DMV record too. That way, if you don't get tickets more often than every 18 months your record stays "clean".

Back in the olden days you had to actually attend an 8-hour traffic school. Somehow the rules said that you only had to actually be there for 6:40 rather than 8:00, and the few that I attended were right about to the minute hitting the minimum time. I've done the online traffic school once or twice as well (back in the 90's) and I think they're a complete joke compared to the classes. You can certainly complete one way faster than six hours. If you open every new page in a new tab you can even easily go back and look up the answers for the various test questions.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
dravnx
Veteran

AMA #3018349
Contributor +++++++
Barf Roadside Angel

Motorcycles: '12 DL650A '15 FJR1300A
Name: Jeff
You can do the traffic school in about 20 mins.

When you take the course, you will read a section and then take a quiz at the end of that section. They don't let you go back and review the section while you're taking the quiz.

So......open up a word doc and cut and paste the entire text of each individual section in to a word doc. Then when you take the quiz at the end of each section just do some quick keyword searches (ctrl f) in the word doc for each question and your answer will appear.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
dravnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
TheRiddler
Riddle me this.

AMA #: 1099639
Contributor + 1%

Motorcycles: Any of the two-wheeled kind.
Name: Matt
General rule of thumb is that courts take a minimum of 2 weeks to process a ticket from the date it was issued. I've heard of some that take as long as 3 months.

Just check their website once a week.
TheRiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #10
bojangle
FN # 40

BARF Moderator
Contributor

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys 1000LT, Prior: Honda 600RR Graffiti, Kawi 650R
Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddler View Post
General rule of thumb is that courts take a minimum of 2 weeks to process a ticket from the date it was issued. I've heard of some that take as long as 3 months.

Just check their website once a week.
Well, it's also the department that issues them, and how long it takes them to get the cites to the court as well.

I use micro agressive trigger words.

""This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow nor my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me... facing the enemy." Author Unknown "
bojangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:47 PM   #11
DTM74
It's not my fault...

Contributor +++++++++1%
Roadside Angel Contributor

Motorcycles: Seven-Oh-One
Name: Dan
I got a ticket in Napa county and never got a courtesy notice. Checked their website a few days before and the due date on the ticket was verified on the website. Did traffic school. Just check online...
DTM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:45 AM   #12
Butch
poseur

AMA #: 1093637
BARF Moderator
Founding Member
BARFie winner 2014 & 2017
Contributor +++
Barf Dirtbike Political Advocate

Motorcycles: ‘18 Alta EX006, ‘17 Alta MX019, 06R6, 05TM503 Black Dream, 01TM250 2T, 91ATK406
Name: Butch
Traffic school is pretty good in that it exposes folks to some education that they might have missed.

And it removes the conviction that insurance companies use to raise your rates.

A good topic, traffic school. I’ll start another thread.

Terms of Service:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/info/tos.php

and get a dirtbike! preferably a 2 stroke... Or... Electric!
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:31 AM   #13
vio
Cream Puff???

I just got the notice amd qualify for traffic school. I'll post a pic of the notice so we all know what it looks like. i think people might benefit to see an actual pic of the paper.

I'm the worst test taker .. ugh..

(Edit: I'll scratch out my personal stuff on it.) I was ticketed for making a right hand turn, between 3 and 7pm; in a no right hand turn during that time. I was however in a line with everyone turning (all cars signaling in the turning lane) and we all got pulled over. On my way to pick up a dog that was posted here on the site that needed to be rescued (kind of) I saw a bunch of cars being pulled over and thought it was an accident and on my way back... well.. I found out what the whole thing was about. It was on a major artery leading from union city to the east bay. (Niles Canyon Road I wanna say) There were like 20 police officers and lots and lots of cars just being ticketed. It doesn't matter to me at this point as I can't take time off my new job to go and explain myself, that the sign is not obvious to hundreds of people that got ticketed that day. What difference does it make anyway.. I could probably get my ticket lowered as I have not worked for the past several years due to illness and the judge might lower the price.. but that might over ride (if that is the correct therm to use) my ability for traffic school. Sign needs to be made that's flashing and clearly and undeniably working during those times in my opinion. But no one cares anyway...

Last edited by vio; 05-28-2019 at 11:12 AM..
vio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #14
ScottRNelson
Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Founding Member
Contributor

Motorcycles: Honda XR650L, KTM 1090 Adv R
Name: =Username
Quote:
Originally Posted by vio View Post
It was on a major artery leading from union city to the east bay. (Niles Canyon Road I wanna say) There were like 20 police officers and lots and lots of cars just being ticketed.
They've been writing tickets there for years. All of the regulars have either gotten a ticket there or seen it enough times to know better. I'm surprised that they can still write piles of tickets at that intersection, but clearly it still works for them.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:56 PM   #15
vio
Cream Puff???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRNelson View Post
They've been writing tickets there for years. All of the regulars have either gotten a ticket there or seen it enough times to know better. I'm surprised that they can still write piles of tickets at that intersection, but clearly it still works for them.
I don't quite understand it myself. Doesn't make sense when there are people to the right in a turning lane.. and there is even a lane just to turn onto Niles Canyon, which you can then merge onto the lane as it turns into one lane. Beats me..

Anyway.. here is the notice and what it looks like, as to what qualifies one for traffic school.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190528_184742.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	520814